[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

What's needed in HE to get this working? I have Life360 Connector added from the Hubitat apps, have entered the circle details and exposed the created devices to maker but the tiles aren't doing anything. Tapping them just toggles presence on/off.

Ugh - I'm guessing the inbuilt connector is solely a presence switch and I need the other community app. I really didn't want to have to install Bundle Manager for that single app....

Added Bundle Manager, added Life360 with states and entered user information. The app doesn't create any devices so I'm scuppered (queried this on the relevant topic but if anyone here can assist it would be appreciated)

Edit: It looks as though Life 360 is down. I can't login and Down Detector showing a huge spike in reports. Confirmed worldwide outage

It's back up. Now I can crack on adding it to my dashboards.

Lol I didn't get much further with Life 360. I click on the tile:

"Hubitat Dashboard won't run without Google Play services, which are not supported by your device"

All of my tablets are Amazon Fire without Google Play (I'd rather not add Google Play as previously I had some issues). @jpage4500 is there any way to get this working on an Amazon Fire without Google Play Services. The equivalent integration in Sharp Tools works normally without it. Thanks.

Edit: the version in the SharpTools uses Open Street Map rather than Google Maps.

Yeah, it looks like the interactive maps do require Google Play Services. I'll look into some alternate mapping library in the long term but short term I can still show a large map with pins in it (like the main tile). This is how it worked before. It just won't be interactive (ie: zoom/pan/etc) like the Google Maps version

Yeah I can see on a Fire that I've not updated that I don't get the error but the map that opens is really poor resolution.

I'm half way through loading Google Play and its dependencies now. I'll see how that goes and post back shortly. Thanks Joe.

Edit: Up and running with the first one - it looks great. It's no stress really to load Google Play Services. I've just downloaded the required files using my MacBook and uploaded them to the downloads folder of each tablet using Fully Remote Admin.

If anyone else needs but hasn't got Google Play on their Fire, I found this updated guide very clear as there was no confusion of which apk files to download:

1 Like

If you have a Windows machine, you can also get the Fire Toolbox program and it automates the process.

I did read some feedback that people were seeing the tablet drag down a while after loading the services. It was anecdotal and the age old saying of "correlation doesn't equal causation."

1 Like

Yeah I heard the same. I had Google on my first few Fire Tablets but removed it in favour of just manually installing the apk files for anything that wasn't available on the Fire Store (which lets face it is most apps). I'm a Mac user but I've loaded it Google on all 4 tablets now in order to get the Life 360 working.

1 Like

I finally have everything working, sort of. Using a Speco camera works with RTSP but only for a couple of seconds, freezes then reconnects. Happens in both the tile and when I click to view larger. I tried profiles 1, 2, and 3, changed resolution, fps from 1 to 30. no matter what I get a great live stream and it freezes in a few seconds.

It looks like it's just on my Chromebook tablets. Works great on Android phones.

I'm using an Acer 738 tablet I plan to wall mount. In the dashboard using rtsp://ip:554/profile1 (or 2 or 3), I see my camera for a few seconds then it freezes and reconnects. Same result for two very different camera brands. Changed the fps down to 1, and lowered the resolution but nothing helped. Installed VLC for android (VLC for Chrome OS is no longer supported) and that works fine, steady stream using the same connect url. Is there a way to get VLC into a tile?

@mike.morris.mcs It's strange because my Hikvision streams were temperamental using Exoplayer (dropping regularly) and wouldn't connect at all using the RTSP option. Since @jpage4500 did the update in 1.0.1875 (beta) a few weeks ago, the Hikvision streams over RTSP are flawless - they connect and stay connected. I'm a CCTV installer and even when I've ran firmware updates to my cameras that have taken them offline for minutes at a time, as soon as they've booted they reconnect to the dashboard automatically.

In this post around #3934/3935 Joe linked the following RTSP demo app: https://jpage4500.s3.amazonaws.com/hubitat-dashboard/rtsp-client-android.apk
Maybe see if your streams work in that app normally on the tablet you're having issues with. If they work there but not in the Hubitat Dashboard app it may highlight something to Joe.

As for VLC. You could open VLC using its app intent url directly from a tile (I do that for Sonos, Hik-Connect and other apps to avoid working outside the dashboard). I believe there's a way of adding further parameters to the app intent url so that when the tile opens VLC, it will also connect to the stream of your camera. I saw a post regarding that somewhere on the SharpTools forum. I'll see if I can locate it and try it out.

Good day.
I recently enabled the Switchbot Tilt Blind device.
Was able to get it added to HE, but am not able to find the correct device type on the Dashboard.
HE uses shade, which isn't ideal.
Any ideas?

I switched to the beta update 1888. Now It doesn't drop the video just won't connect on any combination of options. RTSP says not a valid URL, MPEG says Error opening, and ExoPlayer says file not found. Going to try the demo app next.

1 Like

Can you post or DM me the full URL you're using? You can replace the username/password - I'm just looking for the format.

FWIW I just hand over the entire URL to ExoPlayer so I'm not sure I can do much there. I do try to parse the URL to remove the user/pass for the RTSP library.. that's what I fixed with the recent update

Can you send me the JSON for this device? Also, if you can find any screenshots of other dashboards - how they display a device like this - I can try to do something similar

Sorry, I was reading from the bottom up and just saw this.. no username or password? maybe that's the issue

Glad you got this working! I did find a Google Maps alternative which would work on any device - no Play Services required.. not sure if it's worth exploring further but just wanted to throw that out there.

I personally replaced the OS on my Fire Tablets but I don't know how feasible/easy that is with the newer ones. The Fire OS is slow enough by itself I can only imagine how it behaves with Google as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the camera set not to require a username or password for RTSP
rtsp://IP/profile2 On my Samsung Ultra22 works with app ver 1842 Android ver 13

On my Chromebooks same URL app ver 1888 Chrome OS 103.0.5060.132
I get an Invalid URL

I updated my phone to 1888, and now I get an invalid URL too.
Using ExoPlayer with IP I get "file not found" on both my phone and CBs

This is from the camera Speco Tech using a PC to config, trying to supply as much detail as I can.

You were right the user helped.
I added a user, turned on the required user and password, and tried
rtsp://name:pass@ip:554/profile2 or 1 or 3

It works again on my phone and back to playing for 3 seconds, then freezes "restarting in 5 seconds" on the Chromebooks: 3 Chromebooks, same model Chrome OS from 85 to 103. I would say it's a Chromebook issue, but if I look closely at my phone, I see the fan pause very briefly and then continue. FYI: the camera is in my office on the bench pointing at the ceiling fan. It shows it spinning, but every few seconds it skips a frame or two. Any way to adjust the timeout?

@jpage4500 it's working great. Time will tell whether it affects the performance of the tablets. Mine are all 9th and 11th gen currently. It looks like that alternative is using Open Street Map similar to how it works in Sharp Tools (though originally that custom tile used Google maps and needed a Google API key from memory).

I suppose whether it's worth using that, would depend on how many users of Hubitat Dashboard are using Fire tablets primarily as they're the only ones who need to do anything extra. I'm more than happy with what you've provided. I think with OSM the map is possibly cleaner as there's no markers on there for businesses etc though some may prefer Google as it shows the business. Example - "Where's my husband?" - tap, map zoom - "He's at the Garage/In the pub/Lap Dancing emporium" :laughing:

Sure. WHere do I find the json?
I have not found any other examples of this; hubitat doesn't have the device as an option when building dashboards - the shade device type is the best I can find.