[RELEASE] Fully Kiosk Browser Controller

For anyone struggling to show their Ring doorbell cam on their Fully tablet, this approach by @gavincampbell does the trick. Just set it up. Works great.

Gavin, I can see now why this part afterwards is tricky. How do you get FKB to return to the front after a little awhile? When I custom-tell Alexa to exit the feed, it exits Ring, as expected, and then dumps me onto the main screen. Sounds like same thing happens to you. But then FKB never comes back to the front. My screensaver kicks in, but behind that, it's still the main Fire screen.

I see there's a setting in Fully Kiosk to have the StartURL reload on after x minutes of inactivity if the StartURL isn't showing, but that has its own problems since I don't always have my Hubitat dashboard up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Edit: Just had an idea of my own. I could use Alexa to flip a virtual switch in Hubitat bring FKB back to the wrong. Should work pretty well.

Does anyone know if I can use Fully Kiosk as a trigger?

Im using Hubitat, WebCore, and Fully Kiosk on an Android tablet to switch between a music player URL (via SharpTools), a list of playlists and radio stations (SharpTools), and a photo slideshow app (Fotoo). I switch between Fully Kiosk and Fotoo based on if my Sonos is playing music or not.

My question:
If Fully Kiosk is on the playlist URL for more than 5 min I want to load the music player URL. Can I use Fully Kiosk as a trigger for WebCore actions based on what Fully Kiosk is doing/displaying?

SharpTool screens for context:

1 Like

I added an update to the driver you can try. I was already working on something that added state polling in the mix. This was just another attribute to add. You can probably use the 'currentPageUrl' I added and monitor it for changes with RM. It's not an instant update. But will be updated every minute but should be good for what you want to do. Give it a shot.

1 Like

Thanks! Thats awesome! I see currentPageUrl as an option in RM now.
Can I use it in WebCore as well or do I need to use RM for this?

1 Like

I'm not familiar with webcore. Haven't used it in a long time. But if it can work with custom attributes it should be fine.

1 Like

I've been using this to control a couple of Fire Tablets in my house but I'm running into a problem when I use the tablets as "sirens" for HSM. More accurately, if I dismiss a triggered alert through HSM (either from one of the tablets or even from the Hubitat HSM interface on a PC or phone) to quieten the sirens, both tablet screens go black which requires me to press the power button to wake them again.

If I don't use the siren feature on the tablets, it doesn't happen.

Anyone else experience this?

@gary1 - I am experiencing similar. I use the HSM tile on a wall mounted Lenovo M8 tablet to arm and disarm the alarm when we leave the house. Whenever we disarm, the screen flashes black but then wakes again. I've looked over my rules but don't see anything that would cause this that I created.

On my wall mounted tablet running Fully, it seems to become sluggish and unresponsive after a week or so of constantly running. I've noticed that If I close and reopen Fully it fixes the issue. On the device page I see this driver provides a "Restart App" button that restarts Fully. Is there any way for me to setup a rule with RM that can somehow use that button to restart fully everyday at say 4am?

If so I don't see what action I need to call in RM to do this.

There are some settings in the Fully browser itself to implement auto reload on certain conditions. I had to use this when there was a bug in the Date/Time dashboard tile where the date wouldn't advance. I did something to reload the dashboard every day at 12:01 AM.

@HAL9000 - Does it reload the page or completely restart the app? I'll have to take a look through the settings when I get home.

It reloads the start page. Various reasons can be selected (like reconnection of Internet etc)

I figured out how to do it from RM using custom actions if anyone needs to do this:

1 Like

I was successful with playing a beep file. Here is my method: I first inserted an SD card with the mp3 file into the Fire tablet. The Fire OS popped a prompt about using the card for tablet storage, or for media; I chose media. Via the Fire OS "Files" app, I navigated to the mp3 file on the SD card, and then I copied the mp3 file to the "Downloads" section. I then ejected the SD card. I refer to the mp3 file in the FKB controller device with a URL in this form: file:///sdcard/Download/chime.mp3.

Volume: I was not content with the rather timid volume of my beep sound, even after setting the volume to max 100. So, I modified the mp3 file to maximize volume. This is how: On Windows, I used an excellent audio editor called Goldwave. Open the mp3 file and choose Effects | Volume | Maximize. Goldwave offers an eval version.

just thought I would drop in to say I just installed this driver on the latest version of FK and a brand new Fire 10 tablet, and things are working swimmingly. this community is the best, thanks

@planetix Can you point me to info on the XDA toolkit to do this for a new Fire HD 8?

Can anyone help, I just cannot get this to work. Trying to setup on a Fire 8, 10th gen. Hubitat just doesnt seem to communicate with FKB on my Fire8. Have the latest version of Hubitat (2.2.5.131, hardware version Rev C-5) and FKB (1.43.1 for Fire OS). (Btw tried on an android device also, same issue).

Followed all the steps as outlined by the OP, settings as described.
Log here.

Anyone able to advised. Please let me know if you require any information about the setup.

Can you access it via the browser? http://[yourip]:2323/

Did you get the plus license? Is it showing in the webUI that its licensed?

Yes to all those questions.

Can you turn on the logging and then PM me the logs?

@gavincampbell Would there be interest in adding HSM features to the Fully Kiosk Browser Controller? I've got a bunch of RM rules that do stuff like:

• beep() and triggerMotion() on doors opening
  • Modify settings on HSM status (different motion settings, whether it stops screensaver on motion)
  • Bring up an unlock dashboard that shows the countdown and has a big disarm button on HSM intrusion
  • Return to the main dashboard on disarm

Actually that last one is hanging sometimes and I'm wondering if it's from sending too many HTTP requests at a time. So, I was wondering if there would be interest in adding this stuff to the Fully Kiosk Browser Controller. I'm willing to help with that, or else I may look at building a separate app that does these all in one place.

1 Like