[RELEASE] Follow Me - Speaker control with priority messaging, volume controls, voices and sound files!

I had this app running successfully for months. I recently reinstalled it, and recreated several child apps, as before. Unfortunately, now I am having multiple devices respond (3 of 6), even though only Follow Me is the chosen playback device. My log for the Virtual Follow Me device is a long list of this: "java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method driverToChildApp() on null object on line 463 (method sendFollowMeSpeaker)"

All trigger devices are motion sensors, which are working fine. Echo Speaks is working fine, and no ES Zones are currently created.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I really enjoy using this app. I have reinstalled Echo Speaks as the latest attempt at troubleshooting, but no luck.

Hmmm. After a few hours, I went in to one of the child apps and had it create a new virtual device. I changed all of the child apps to point to that new vdevice, and now everything appears to be working as expected. We are once again up and running with this great app! Thanks!

@bptworld,

I just received a couple messages regarding the HPM that may interest you:

He’s probably pulled it from HPM and put it in his Bundle Manager.

Hi!

Really excited but having trouble getting this going. When creating the child cannot create a virtual device (see error below), nor can I create a virtual device with the follow me driver manually. I hope I'm not way off...
EDIT: Just reboot the Hubitat and it's working - I'll leave this here in case others get the same error
app:4582022-09-17 01:33:21.259 pm debugFollow Me unable to create device - java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: Connections could not be acquired from the underlying database!

Yup - all of his apps/drivers are now in Bundle Manager AFAIK:

Heya! Thanks for all these great apps. I have Event Engine configured to send a standard Push notification to mobile app devices, and the notifications don't ever send even though I can tell the events are right. I realized there was a note in the "speaker options" section indicating this app was necessary for audio alerts - is it needed for push notifications too?

Actually, come to think of it, how can I confirm the automation triggers are right? I turned on debug logging in the cog but I can't tell where it's writing those logs to. Maybe a question better suited to an Event Engine thread but the two apps are related here for me.

Thanks in advance!

edit: oops sorry I forgot you asked us to tag @bptworld

Would need to see the Cog Description and a debug log.

Thanks for the reply! I am not sure where to find the debug log, I can probably figure out the issue on my own if I could. I enabled debugging and the debug log but don't see where that data is routed. I looked through the system logs and didn't see anything. Where could I look?

Also, here's the cog description:

Event Engine Cog (3.8.5) - You left the garage door open! (43)
Conditions
***** Cog will fire when ALL Condition are true (Using AND)
- By Contact Sensor: [Garage Door] - ClosedOpen: true, ANDOR: false

• Condition Only: true
    - By Switch: [1 Presence, 2 Presence] - OffOn: false, ANDOR: false, Physical: false

Actions
- Delay Between Actions: 100

Notifications
- Send Push: [1, 2]

The idea is that if that garage contact sensor is open, and both presence switches toggle to inactive (indicating nobody remains at home) a notification will be sent. Pretty straightforward in concept.

I don't see any message to be sent?

Screenshot 2022-09-26 9.54.34 PM

Oh, well that's weird! It was there before. Maybe I messed something up. I did have the "include cog name in message" toggle turned on though. Anyway, I added a message and it still didn't send anything.

Event Engine Cog (3.8.5) - You left the garage door open! (43)

Conditions

- By Switch: [1 Presence, 2 Presence] - OffOn: false, ANDOR: false, Physical: false

Actions

Notifications

Okay then I will need a debug log.

• turn on debug in the cog
  • open your log
  • make the cog run
  • take a screenshot of the log and post it here.

Aha. That turned some things up. This snippet seems quite relevant!

Cool, I just released a new version of Event Engine that should fix it.

1 Like

That fixed it right up! Thanks so much for the super rapid response.

2 Likes

Fastest dev around!

1 Like

Howdy again @bptworld - I noticed just now that though this new release you built fixed the notification errors, the notifications always include "null" in the push alerts now. Whether text is specified in the notification or not, whether "include cog name" is checked or not.

Description:

Event Engine Cog (3.8.6) - You left the garage door open! (43)

Conditions

Actions

Notifications

Screenshot of debug log attached with the message highlighted - it's set to %time% now just as a test, but literally any string in that message area is ignored and replaced with "null"

1 Like

@bptworld Can't get sound files to play or priority voices to work. Is there any issue with my setup?

fyi, in the logs it says "Emma" but I'm hearing the default Hubitat voice (not Emma and not Russell).
1. Rule:

2. FollowMe setup

3. Logs

4. FollowMe parent (soundfile)

5. FollowMe parent (speakers). Not sure if it matters. Testing various setups.

Also, the "voice setup option" summary isn't correct. Appears it's repeating the first item "voiceFun" but the item values are correct for each. I can't get the voices to work yet though.

I don't think sounds and voices work with Sonos? Looking at the log, it's skipping the sounds/voices because it doesn't have the ability to play them.