[RELEASE] Fibaro Dimmer 2 (FGS-212) Driver

So are there any bonus over using these drivers over the default ones now included in Hubitat?

I had hoped to dim the fibaro dimmer 2 to level 1 without turning the light on, but this doesn't seem possible. This driver allows you to change the force starting brightness, but is that configurable with the rule machine so I can change the starting brightness depending on the time of day?

Not sure what your after? All dimmer drivers this and the HE one can use the set level command where the light goes directly to that value. I have motion app set up and that turn this on a different levels depending on the mode is that what you want?

If the dimmer is set to maximum brightness and theswitch is turned off by the physical button then next time the physical button is turned on, the lights come on full brightness. What I was hoping to do was at night turn the brightness down to 1% without turning the lights on, so next time I turn the physical switch on then it starts at 1% brightness.

If the light is turned on through hubitat then I can just send the 1% dimmer option so that works fine. Same for motion detection or the dashboard. Same if I say OK google turn the bedroom light on dim. Its just when its switched on at the wall that it returns to the same brightness it was turned off at.

I wrote a rule so when the switch is turned on after 7pm then adjust the brightness to 1%. This works but it starts at full brightness if that is where it was last time it was switched on, then dims down. This is not ideal but OK.

If I send the brightness to 1% from hubitat, then quickly turn the light off so there is not response from the lights, then the dimming level isn't adjusted. It needs to wait until the brightness is actually adjusted and light come on so needs a delay to turn off again while lights come on which isn't ideal.

I was hoping that different drivers would be able to adjust the brightness without turning the switch on so next time I click the wall switch that the brightness is already at 1%.

One way I read is that to set the force brigthness value to 1% after 7pm, which means it always starts at 1%. Then at 7am I could adjust the froce brightness back to 100%... but I am not sure this is possible in hubitat.

I think it's more a limitation on the device. There is a option to not store the last level in the parameters which you can set. Failing that Fibaro has quite a few options built in you may need to go though the manual and find the one you need. You can then use the tweaker to adjust. If force brightness is a capability then it could be exposed to the driver and then using custom actions would work with RM

Hello @BorrisTheCat
I have a situation where I have 2 switches (without any neutrals) in one box.
Can I connect them up with the fibaro fgd-212 and get control on them from Hubitat?
One is the light and the other is the fan in a washroom.

The Fibaro dimmer only has one load line and you don't want to dim your fan. It sounds like you need the dual relay one. Alternatively if the light is dimmable and you have space you could get 2 devices a switch and a dimmer.

No neutrals means that I can't use the switch which always requires a neutral.

I don't know if my fan will work on a dimmer (obviously, I don't want to adjust the speed, I just want to take advantage of the "no neutral" approach).

Isn't the Fibaro FGD-212 a dual relay dimmer?

I have the same no neutral problem on my switches. I've went the Lutron route and love it. I actually replaced one of my fibaro dimmer 2's with a Lutron dimmer

Will a Lutron Dimmer work on a typical bathroom fan?

They don't "recommend" the dimmers for the fans, but I do use 2 dimmers on bathroom fans, as the fans are over 30 years old so if they go bad they need replaced anyway. Also one of my fans is wired directly to the lights on the same switch so my options are no dimming or go the not recommended route

They have these instead for fans that are no neutral also but they are significantly higher $ than the dimmers. So you can way your options of "safe" vs "cheap". But the option is available. https://www.build.com/lutron-pd-5ws-dv-wh/s1181284

The above product is a bit cheaper on Amazon.

Does this one also work only in (secure mode) for the scene id button conversion function, or does it also work in (non secure mode). ?
Cheers.

Did you ever get round to seeing if you could adjust it to work in non secure mode?

Not sure but I don't use this one I use another one that is more update. I'll post when I find it

Ok. Cool. Thanks. :+1:t3:

this one

so does this one work in (non secure mode) including the button press conversions for the scene id?

yes, not sure if it works in secure mode but it does in non secure

excellent...
Thank you...
I wanted to confirm the performance of this driver in non secure mode before I remove and repair all my fibaro dimmer 2's in non secure mode... (I was advised to do so by Hubitat support, because of choking up my z-wave network with to many secure messages from devices not requiring secure mode)
I didn't know if there was any other way of using the scene id function other than using @Robin 's driver in secure mode... ( which works perfectly btw. once you successfully pair in secure mode) I just want to speed things up a bit. and without the security encapsulation function and with button press actions this should do the job...
thanks again...

i have it in none secure more with @ericm driver and it works great. button event 1 is for s1 so single, double tap, press and hold. button 2 is for s2 same as s1 but for the triple tap of S2 as that isn't supported in HE i have put that on button 3 pressed. So all the "scenes" get converted to button events In the driver so you can use them in all of HE's apps.

So, how does one know in these devices are enrolled as secure or non-secure?