[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

Since multiple people are seeing the red X and continue to have a working setup, I'm leaning toward it being something on the Amazon side of things. We all know how Amazon loves to change things as they go.

I'll deal with it at the point in time if something breaks. It seems that a manual refresh is all that would be needed. But, as I mentioned, if it ain't broke...

All I can say is tick, tick, tick.... :sunglasses:

1 Like

This worked! Thanks so much for your research and detailed explanation. I stalled for a second on "app" but found it as you said using pm2 list. Mine was simply "Index"

Node.js v19.1.0 as I already had it installed for Homebridge. My server was at http://192.168.4.3:8091 which I expected as the address of my iMac. Not sure how it went off track.

@vmsman Do you want to amend your directions to include setting the IP like that? Or maybe just add a tip that if it is not working and showing 0.0.0.0 to run that command to fix it?

@brad I will be curious if that keeps after a reboot? Did you run the pm save afterwards?

@jtp10181 @brad Jeff & Brad, So in Docker you generally need to set the address per my document on my discourse server where I say Start the Echo speaks server using the address of your docker server from above (my address is 172.16.1.78):

IPADDRESS=172.16.1.78 ./start.sh

In the case of the node.js app, the only way that you would need to specify the address is if your server instance was running on other than the LAN and unable to access the DHCP server. Yes, the:

ipAddress=192.168.4.3 pm2 restart app --update-env

is a workaround, but not one that should be required if the server where the app is running already has a LAN Address. By default, it uses that host's address. I'd say this was a one off.

I just did a reboot to test, and it did keep. I had run the save per your recommendation. Note that I was having an issue with reboot that I had to fix as noted here:

I moved away from Local Server. I had an issue where the app wouldn't update in the 5-day period and at some point, it was thinking it was back Heroku. I have automatic updates when new server code comes out. I'm just finding this finicky.

If you watch the various threads, one of the biggest problems people have is the 0.0.0.0 or incorrect IP due to the way the app detects the host IP. If the machine has multiple IPs or a bridge connection it seems it may not detect it correctly.

Just thought if anything it would be good to add a little tip on your instructions that for IP detection problems to try doing that command and then a save.

2 Likes

Mine is 4 days - I've been running flawless for 16 days now :

1 Like

I found this page and did a manual refresh but it did not refresh.

Form the Main App Page click:
Alexa Login Service: (button below) >> Manage Cookie Login Server >> Amazon Login Page

You should get a pop up with this at the top:

If its not logged in, you may need to log in again.
Make sure there is a callback Url filled in.
Click Save settings at the bottom.

Not connecting.

Then your server isnt there. Did you give it a static IP on the router? Looks like probably not, so it may have moved to a new IP.

Thank you!
Problem solved.
My fault.
I fixed the IP on my Pi Zero W server but I didn't tell Echo Speaks that I changed to a new server IP from my Pi 4 server.
All working perfectly now!

The plot thickens!

I'm just thinking out loud here.
I didn't shut down my Pi 4 cookie server. I just disabled the wired connection. Echo Speaks was connected to the IP address of the Pi Zero, 192.168.1.218 when it was working but not getting fresh cookies after an unknown time.

Yesterday, I reconnected Echo Speaks to 192.168.1.11 and everything works but that is the IP address of the WiFi on the Pi 4 cookie server.

Obviously, I need to power down the Pi 4 cookie server and reconnect to the Pi Zero cookie server. I recall not wanting to power down the Pi 4 until I was sure that the Pi Zero was working. Here goes!

Should Echo Speaks allow the playing of web streams like other IP connected speakers? Because I input a webstream into "Play Track" and I get nothing, not even error logs. Annoucements work fine.
Also mp3 files from local server work in a browser curious why not with Echo Speaks.

@tonesto7 curious if your QNAP container continues to run. A few of us are having issues with the container running on our QNAP NAS. Every few days I will login to Container Station and will see it stopped. I don't see any logging within the container to understand what is causing it to fail. I have mine set to AutoStart so that is not the issue.

1 Like

Edit the echo speaks code and manually input your ip

under def startPage() {
add
updServerItem("serverHost", ((String)"192.168.0.xx:8091" ?: sNULL))

Its the only way I could get it away from 0.0.0.0

Did you ever find out why it gets set at 0.0.0.0
But you can edit that ip. Just manually enter this code in echo speaks

under def startPage() {
add
updServerItem("serverHost", ((String)"192.168.0.xx:8091" ?: sNULL))

confirming the same thing on Synology NAS

1 Like