[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

If I read the documentation correctly you have to install their skill on your alexa account and then register for their service. The calls are simple but you have to setup a monkey, add a routine, and then have the monkey call the routine. The price is reasonable at $6/year.

As for integration of TTS this seems pretty simple but the question is how to do something with their service that makes it easy such as automatically creating devices in Hubitat from the API's? Didn't see anything along those lines. I have 6 devices with 3 different groupings. Didn't see groupings either.

E.S v4 has WAY more functionality than Voice Monkey. My Hubitat only exists, and all it does, is Echo Speaks... and I use Voice Monkey on Homeseer.

1 Like

I'm not a programmer so forgive me if this post is not doable. Can't an Alexa skill be coded for TTS for HA?

I have been seeing errors lately. I would like to see if anyone else is getting them.

Things seem to be working but I keep getting these errors.

1 Like

I had a couple of music providers but that is about it. The logs have been clean since 6:00 am CST

That suggests your heroku or local server is un-reachable or down...

Yes same errors for me for the past few days.

Sorry to back up a bit in thread, but I had been using ES on HE for a while; and happened to have an RPi to try to deploy a heroku replacement locally. Almost there, but stuck on how / where to get into the PI to deploy redirect locally, ensure port 8091 is used and to place the callback url in it (the callback url from ES app config in HE which I found). --obviously, I am not a networking or dev person)-- :expressionless:
My Pi seems to have all the pm2 steps loaded that came from VilifiedFerret and user2305, but not sure of final connections before the part where ppl were dealing with the amazon re-login. Have ASUS router and I ssh remote into my PI connected on LAN line.

Got to love time changes:

Everthing is working great but I guess the time takes a bit to catch up.

I was pointing to Heroku, and something changed on their end the SSL failure, and I couldn't get into it or figure it out. So, I attempted to run locally, and another error occurred. Thus, I had to re-deploy a new instance. The new deployment works fine now.

Is there a final solution to Echo Speaks?
I just got another nasty gram from Heroku.

Chris

5 Likes

We all probably got the same one today. I’m still patiently waiting for tonesto to come through. It’s easy for me to be patient because I have Sonos as a TTS backup if it doesn’t happen.

3 Likes

The problem I have using my grouped Sonos speakers as a TTY is that it interrupts the current playing queue and does not return to playing what was playing. Was there a work around for this issue since I last tried years ago?

I built the Docker container and it says "All is well" Problem is that despite logging in a dozen times, it still says I am not logged in.

Not that I'm aware of, but the times I use TTS while listening to music at the same time are fairly rare, but I agree it isn't a perfect alternative. Even if resume worked I don't think I would enjoy the experience of interrupting my music for an announcement from Hubitat. To avoid this one can update rules to check if Sonos is playing before sending TTS notifications.

2 Likes

Has somebody got updated Raspberry pi instructions please? I'm failing at the first line.. npm i GitHub - tonesto7/echo-speaks-server

~ $ npm i GitHub - tonesto7/echo-speaks-server
npm WARN deprecated querystring@0.2.1: The querystring API is considered Legacy. new code should use the URLSearchParams API instead.
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated request-promise@4.2.6: request-promise has been deprecated because it extends the now deprecated request package, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/pi/node_modules/@types
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/pi/node_modules

1 Like

So decided to follow instructions for Heroku instead, But I'm not able to login to my amazon account, Page just says "There's nothing here yet". Reinstalled app and reset login multiple times with same result. Utter fail.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 153127

Screenshot 2022-11-08 153146

As you may see several comments above that I am not all the way through the process yet to localize (stuck trying to add the echospeaks lookback address in the PI), but you could try to copy all the code lines at once from user2305 and paste (right click on your Putty window and see if you have a paste feature) and see if that works.

EDIT: Do not run npm install with sudo.

Try either restarting the pi, and/or executing:

sudo pm2 restart index.js

It worked for a few others who were stuck unable to login.