[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

I have retried the amazon login several times. The cert it refers to is the site cert, on the server (my linux server)I think, but not sure. If you read the log, the login was successful and it did get a good cookie, just cannot send it to hubitat

1 Like

Are you using a cloud callbackurl or local?
If local are you using https or http (should be http)
Do you have SSL setup on the hub at all?

It seems like whatever URL it is trying to hit for the callback is where the cert problem is.

Thanks Jeff, I was using https. It is still not working, so I think I will do the setup from scratch with the correct local url. Unless you know a quicker fix?

After changing the callback, you might need to press Save at the bottom and then restart the cookie server, so you could try that. May need to log in again also after saving. Otherwise yeah maybe just reset the cookie server on the ES app in HE and then set it up again, hopefully that will do it.

Where is the link tpo the install process, I swear I did everything but it is still unable to send a good amazon cookie to my hub, using either cloud or local url. I have restarted everything several times.

It should be simpler.

Here is my guide for a local ES server if thats what you wanted: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

2 Likes

I think I figured out what was happening, as I did get it working. I had forgotten how to use pm2 to restart echo-speaks so I figured, what the heck just restart vmbox! That is not the same apparently. Once I restarted with pm2 restart echo-speaks --update-env, it worked

Anyone get this working past the login issues that do not persist?

Um, yes. Has worked since day 1 on local login server (non Heroku) on a Raspberry Pi. No issues.

@Pantheon said:

I had a terrible time with the Amazon login stuff with Echo Speaks. If you are getting the pin code request when you log into Amazon like this then you will have to turn this off. I had to contact Amazon and request that it be turned off. Then I turned on 2FA to log into my Amazon account. I did not have that set up prior. Once I did that, I was able to log into Amazon (through the Echo Speaks install procedure) and get the cookie renewed. Not sure if this is your difficulty. But this is what was messing up my Amazon cookie refresh.

I'm in the same situation, running the cookie server on my Synology NAS (not under Docker, but a pm process under node.js). It had been running like a champ for months but I see from my server logs that it started to go south throwing errors around Nov '23.

This afternoon I started digging into it, starting with refreshing the cookie. When I saw this OTP screen pop up during Amazon authentication I thought that 2FA had been turned on even though I knew I hadn't done it myself. I receive the OTP successfully from Amazon but when I enter it I get a browser error message that the cookie server's authentication process can't post the OTP:

I wonder how to turn off OTP on login if it's not 2FA? Spent 1.5 hours on chat with a series of Amazon CSRs but nobody seemed to be able to turn it off.

Enable 2fa on your Amazon account and it will work. Someone else went through this recently and posted about it.

3 Likes

I had to stop my echo speaks server, then go to the echo speaks app and clear the server settings a few times. Started the server and then tried logged in again. All worked again.

1 Like

I spent about 45 minutes on chat with Amazon and ultimately found someone who said they could turn OTP off. They said it would take about 24 hours to ultimately turn off. I did activate 2fa. The OTP did turn off and with 2FA on ES works well. I struggled a lot with this process before that.

2 Likes

OK, I've turned on 2FA and I see that the process of that also has an option to disable OTP on the specific browser (I assume by setting a browser cookie.) I will try authenticating the ES cookie server on my local NAS by logging into Amazon again.

The other intermittent issue I've run into which has appeared again this morning is that bringing up the ES authentication page served by the index.js script running on my local NAS at 192.168.0.4:8091/proxy sometimes results in this result from Amazon:

As I say, it is intermittent but is persistent for some time once the 404 error is thrown. It is possible that there is a timeout for this error and that by waiting - an hour or two? - something resets and the login will go through. But at the moment this is where I'm stuck - I'll try rebooting the NAS and see if restarting the cookie server makes it all work again.

That might be caused by an incorrect IP or other setting. Here is a guide for local echo speaks server: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

3 Likes

I've never seen anyone do it via proxy... not that it shouldn't work, just wonder if there is a delay inherent causing an issue.

1 Like

Thats an URL used by the cookie server. It uses a built in proxy system to trick the Amazon site into letting you log in. Not sure how it works exactly, but it is using an internal proxy / relay system of some sort.

1 Like

I now seem to have gotten past the 404 error; http://192.168.04:8091/config serves the Echo Speaks server config page and the "Goto Login Page" link to http://192.168.04:8091/proxy now resolves correctly to the Amazon login page.

Also - now that I have enabled 2FA but disabled OTP, my Amazon authentication is accepted without having to jump through the extra hoop of OTP entry.

I had one final issue that required digging into the cookie server's index.js javascript running on my NAS. Instead of using the local IP address of my server at 192.168.0.4 the ES app was picking up this strange IP address "10.8.4.48:8091" as if it were the cookie server, and naturally failing to connect to it:

It turns out 10.8.4.48 was a (foreign, in Singapore) interface address assigned by a VPN that I also have running by default on my NAS. :roll_eyes: Once I tricked the script into skipping over that network interface everything started working again.

2 Likes

The guide that I linked to above has instructions for how to set the IP correctly, and was the reason I provided that link. I had assume that was one of the issues you might be having.

3 Likes

suddenly a whole bunch of new echo speaks devices showed up in my hub not sure why ..
there are non functional as for instance i dont believe shields are echo devices. maybe something to do with the alexa app.. i beiieve they are shields and rokus?