[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

Good morning,

I apologize, I’ve been assigned a new role at work and all my free time is non-existent anymore. I promise that when I get some extra energy I will try to fix the heroku and server issues.

I highly recommend just running the server locally and these issues disappear!

11 Likes

Just out of curiosity - what is the average monthly cost that one would expect using this? I saw $5.38 in first month with no activity - I did not get it fully installed because of the noted issues. Thanks.

If you run your own local Echo Speaks cookie server, as is suggested, the cost is zero.

1 Like

Depends on how you sign up, there is an option to pay a flat $5 fee for 1000 hours which is enough to run one "dyno" all month. The min charge is $5 for that. The next tier is $7 per month, max of $7 but no min and it costs per hour. I think I calculated it out and if running the whole month it would cap out right around $7.

Now the trick would be if the server was coded to go to sleep and wake up as needed then the $7 option would be super cheap (less than $1 easily) since it would really only need to run for a few hours a month. I am not totally sure how that works but it was not needed with the prior "free" tier which I think put things to sleep automatically anyway. It may even go to sleep on its own as it is now, I have not let it run long enough to find out since I was only testing a few things.

Got it- thanks. I was not able to complete the installation because of the issues noted above. I did get far enough to setup the heroku account and they started billing me even though the app is not functioning. As I understand it from above I can install as a docker to work around this step so I am going to investigate that.

Here is the guide: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

I noticed my es tile is not updating correctly and shows that it's 50 days old since the last refresh. However, if I look inside the app and do a manual review or manually update it shows that it has been updated within the 50 days. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing recently. Meant to ask but just kept forgetting.

2 Likes

Mine is updating regularly. I am using local ES server on Raspberry Pi 4, just keeps humming along since installation many months ago. Is yours local?

The 2 posters above are talking about the ES Tile device by @thebearmay, not the actual Echo Speaks app.

1 Like

Try decreasing the poll rate in the device setting an see what happens.

@thebearmay Any ideas?

1 Like

If you’ve upgraded to 2.3.6.x on HE re-import the driver, there is a small change that ws required by the UI update.

2 Likes

I've been trying to update to the newest version for months, and it keeps getting fatal error and rolls back. today i decided to delete it all and restart. WHICH HAS BEEN FUN!

I added my local server to the call back, switched the cloud.hubitat.com to local. But when i try and go to the login page it gives me a 404 error. and thats where it all fails. any ideas?

Thanks! Looks good.

When was update from.and which drivers cause i installed a few days ago and its not .finding any update.

I've been trying to update to the newest version for months, and it keeps getting fatal error and rolls back. today i decided to delete it all and restart. WHICH HAS BEEN FUN!

I added my local server to the call back, switched the cloud.hubitat.com to local IP. I was getting a 404 error and that changed on my 35th try. Now i click login and it says success, getting cookie and then back to login page. i dunno what to do.

Restart the container / server.
After logging into Amazon DO NOT click the save button at the bottom, just close the page.

This is all covered in my guide: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

I believe I've read that and tried it. It never once says it signed in. I think the issue is that I changed the ip of my hub and server and it's been an issue. Also I set up the server on proxmox 1.5 years ago and I don't remember how I did it or what guide I used. I also barely know any Linux stuff but I'm pretty sure I need to update something on the server to show the new ip.

your local callback is wrong.. that is the behavior if it is wrong.. should look like this you are missing parts.

http://192.168.11.109/apps/api/1714/receiveData?access_token=somestuffhere49-aed7-

also according to your picture the ip in your callback is also wrong.. it should not be the same ip that your nas or whater is on.. it should be the HUBITAT IP

@tonesto7 app change suggestion.. when you pop up the recommended cloud url during setup maybe below it pop up what the local url would be as well.. Would save a lot of grief during setup!

I can't change how it gives me the callback in the first place. So not sure how to solve that. The local callback is done automatically isn't it?