[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

A question for the other Echo Speaks users. ES is one of the "heaviest" Apps in terms of memory use, so I was going to move it to an auxiliary hub. One of the things I was realizing is that I have 9 Echo Devices. So ES creates 9 devices. But, I only "use" 3 of them from Hubitat to do TTS Notifications. Can I prevent ES from creating the other 6 devices and reduce resources? I might even just be able to remove the 6 unused echos from the main hub. Seems to me that it creates these devices automatically, so they'd just come back, right?

I am not sure how it will effect resources but under Managing devices > Device Detection Preferences you can disable any device you don't want ES to use.

3 Likes

Turn this off after removing the devices you don't want:

2 Likes

Same issue here. I've setup the app, deployed to Heroku and when I click to configure/allow access from Amazon I get the "There's nothing here, yet" page. The URL seems to be correct - maybe - it's "https://echo-speaks-XXXXXXXXX.herokuapp.com/config" where the XXXXX is what was used during setup?

So based on @jtp10181, it seems like Heroku changed something and we have to contact them? I'd say if three of us new users have this issue within as many days, every new user is probably going to have this issue, and nobody new is going to be able to use this awesome code. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know what to ask Heroku support; hopefully one of you two are more technically capable of submitting a productive support ticket.

1 Like

Dump Heroku and set up a local server. It’s not hard. Jeff Page (@jtp10181) has a clear write up on various ways to do it. I just got a Raspberry Pi and set up the non-Docker version. If you are more skilled, other options are straightforward, too.

As I have stated before...and no offense to anyone here. A new Rpi with case can be $140 - $190 US. That equates to 2.5-3 years of Heroku at $5 month. I continue to use Heroku and have had very few if any problems.

New RPi can still be purchased for $35 from reputable vendors like Adafruit, Arrow, Mouser, etc. You just have to catch them when they are in stock. There are websites like RPilocator.com which can help

1 Like

personally I just used my Synology NAS - the cost was effectively zero since I already owned it, and I've saved about 65 dollars already. Heroku trying to take people hostage put me way off of them. Had they offered a pro-version or something where I had a choice maybe I'd have been more open minded but not they way they pimped out their service.

Hmmmmm, ok you're all making me think! I had the app installed previously, but uninstalled during a move and reconfiguration of my Hubitat. Figured I'd do a clean install of Echo Speaks - obviously a bad decision on my part. I do have an Asustor NAS on my network, and I see Docker is an option. Thanks @672southmain for the link, I will check it out!

As another data point. I have not upgraded echo speaks simce v3. Both server and hub code are very old. It is still humming along like nothing changed. No charges from heroku. I dont know if itd be the same for new accounts.

I even left my hub unplugged for several weeks when i moved and no problem.

I switched over to the pay service before the deadline. Probably a mistake. :man_shrugging:

So is there a workaround to keep using Heroku? I don't think I'm tech-savvy enough to set up a docker server on my RPi.

the best thing to do, pay heroku, 5 dollars a month, and forget about headaches

I got the paid version, still doesn't work.

I had the same issue paid as well. They change how they deploy the URL see my post above. [RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4 - #1578 by jsarcone

Went to the raspberry pi and I followed the instructions for the first setup. It worked however once you set up the URL restart the service and then do the login and everything worked.

1 Like

Looks like I got some tinkering to do with the RPi. Hopefully I don't run into any big issues along the way.

1 Like

Just follow Jeff Page’s (@jtp10181) guide that I linked about 10 posts up thread. He covers all the variants. It’s very straightforward.

1 Like

It is impossible that if you have the paid version, and you are paying, it will not work

I've now tried it multiple times, both ways. I was able to get the server setup on my RPi. The local URL redirects to the Amazon page, I log in, says the cookie was successfully captured and yet it doesn't work. The echo-speaks app still has a red X telling me to log in. I tried doing the reboot + close window instead of hitting save. I tried it 10 different ways, with no luck. I then tried the Heroku path again. I definitely am paying for it @diegodelprat and it definitely is not working. The server is setup correctly, but once I click to enter my Amazon information, it redirects to a blank Heroku page stating " There's nothing here, yet. "