[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

The actions are pretty cool. I need to add better descriptions to some of the action types like tiered responses.

1 Like

Ignore my previous post (deleted). My Pi-Hole was blocking cookie retrieval. I need to determine which message was being blocked and allow it in Pi-Hole.

LJ

Hi @thebearmay!

I use ES Tile and Echo Speaks running on a local server, but even manually updating the cookie the tile does not update. I tried to refresh the tile and the HTML but it didn't work, the tile continues to display the date I installed it.

I adapted the address in your code to point to my server, and Echo Speaks correctly shows the date the cookie was updated.

Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or missing something?

I'll have to revisit that code, but IIRC it was merely reading the app data and creating a tile from it.

So I tried to install the application in a docker container (on my synology) and on a ubuntu vm - it all installs and runs fine. It even logs in fine and I put the hubitat Echo Speak url there. But hubitat always says, "you need to log in." Hence the question. This Echo server thingie - does it have to be accessed from internet? I just realized that any location I installed it so far was inside my pfsense perimeter.

more general question, what for this install to work needs to be externally available?

If you can log into Amazon then it is able to access the internet just fine.

Check the login tips at the bottom of my guide. You could also try changing to a local callback URL, which is at the bottom of my guide also. [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

yeah I think I did all that, and it feels i'm going in circles between those two screens below

Is your Echo Speaks server on the same VLAN/network as your Hubitat hub? You may need to setup firewall rules if they are not.

they definitely are. I only separate cams into a separate vlan :slight_smile:

After setting up the container did you restart it? I found after setting it up the first time I had to stop and start the container before it worked. This was on my QNAP NAS so your Synology could be different but worth a try.

I recall stumbling over dns - local dns was a problem when I referenced a machine name which the synology likes to do ... maybe?

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this, but every time I click on GOTO LOGIN PAGE when I open the app, Heroku says "There's nothing here, yet. Build something amazing." Heroku also says the app has been deployed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

well, i did restart the container, but then I didn't restart the VM / pm2
restarting them didn't help.

Same issue here. Have a paid Heroku account, and have tried the installation process multiple times on multiple browsers. No idea how to get this to work.

I suggest you open a ticket with Heroku. The code for echo-speaks has not changed and it was working fine before.

A question for the other Echo Speaks users. ES is one of the "heaviest" Apps in terms of memory use, so I was going to move it to an auxiliary hub. One of the things I was realizing is that I have 9 Echo Devices. So ES creates 9 devices. But, I only "use" 3 of them from Hubitat to do TTS Notifications. Can I prevent ES from creating the other 6 devices and reduce resources? I might even just be able to remove the 6 unused echos from the main hub. Seems to me that it creates these devices automatically, so they'd just come back, right?

I am not sure how it will effect resources but under Managing devices > Device Detection Preferences you can disable any device you don't want ES to use.

3 Likes

Turn this off after removing the devices you don't want:

2 Likes

Same issue here. I've setup the app, deployed to Heroku and when I click to configure/allow access from Amazon I get the "There's nothing here, yet" page. The URL seems to be correct - maybe - it's "https://echo-speaks-XXXXXXXXX.herokuapp.com/config" where the XXXXX is what was used during setup?

So based on @jtp10181, it seems like Heroku changed something and we have to contact them? I'd say if three of us new users have this issue within as many days, every new user is probably going to have this issue, and nobody new is going to be able to use this awesome code. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know what to ask Heroku support; hopefully one of you two are more technically capable of submitting a productive support ticket.

1 Like