[RELEASE] Device Watchdog

Since all but one of the caseta devices are battery powered remotes, those aren't things I'm concerned about falling offline. The active switch or the pro hub falling offline would indicate a major problem I should handle.

Interesting. I forgot many people use the caseta integration mainly for picos, LOL. I have plenty of picos but mostly wired switches and dimmers. I hadn’t thought to include anything caseta-related in device watchdog. If my caseta telnet connection (or the bridge itself) goes down, it’ll be obvious enough to me since none of my lighting automations will work.

Edit: the Caseta app itself pushes a notification if the bridge loses its connection to the Lutron cloud, IIRC.

There is the answer. If there is no 'last activity' then it simply will not work with this app.

1 Like

This is WAF monitoring :wink: If the home network fails while I am out for any reason I need to get on the VPN and fix it before she calls me

1 Like

Just confirming I didn't miss anything in setup. I am looking for an app that I can format an if/then for when a device's online status changes to notify. Thanks!

Edit: I'm reading more through this and it looks like it will tell me if a device is 'Offline' at time of report. Sorry for the noob question; I'll continue to read to see if I can answer this myself.

PS - Even though this app doesn't do exactly what I want it to, it is freakin' sweet. Appreciate the awesome tool.

@ilDylan I believe this is possible with this app if that is what you are trying to achieve. My in use case I have some locks that will decide on their own that they will not talk to my hub unless the hub reboots. With a nice combo of community apps I think I have them beat, finally!

I use @jwetzel1492's Reliable locks to check the lock status among the other things it does. I then use this app to generate a report if the locks have not reported in 1 hour (refresh interval set via RL). Using this function I flip a virtual switch who's intent if fairly clear.

Over in RM I have a rule that monitors said switch. If the switch turns on the hub is rebooted and the switch turned back off. The use of the virtual switch gives me an actionable object in RM.

My apologies if I misunderstood your use case, but thank you @bptworld for creating this app/option that will hopefully (with some rule tweaking) fix my bleeping locks!! :crossed_fingers:

Good afternoon,

Just installed and trying out this app. I read close to the top where you explain hardwired devices don't necessarily check in unless used, so here is my question...

About once a month, I check the activity of all my devices and hit the configure and/or refresh command on the ones that haven't reported, just to ensure they are still on the network and functional.

All of my switches and most of my outlets in the house are z-wave or zigbee... Many don't get used very often. Some are included in routines that don't get used very often either...

Call it my OCD, but can there be a routine added to your app or is there something else out there that will ping/refresh/whatever a device that hasn't reported in for say a day or two? That way I keep everything up to date so to speak?

Like I said, I go through about once a month and do this manually, but with almost 200 devices, there should be an easier way to do it... Again, I don't want to turn the device on or off, but just make it check in...

Thoughts?

1 Like

I do a daily refresh on all of my z-wave switches and zigbee bulbs so everything will have reported within the last 24 hours. I separated my devices into small groups, making a rule for each group, and spread out the refresh commands so as to not overwhelm either mesh.

4 Likes

Very interesting, let me look more into this. Maybe add it to this app, maybe make it it's own app. But I will come up with something! :thinking:

Thanks

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks bptworld and bjcowles!

I hadn't thought about rule machine, and that seems like a good way to do it also... Buuuuuuut, if it were incorporated into this app, you could get the automatic refreshes and get alerts for devices that don't respond... That way you truly know if there is a problem with something...

We are a huge Christmas family and so I have decorations both inside and outside all over that are controlled by various outlets. Plus the light switches in rooms that don't get used very often, I find myself constantly making sure nothing falls off the network by doing the monthly refreshes. I would love for that to happen daily..

... Again, my OCD...:slight_smile: :joy:

New version on GitHub... Be sure to open each Activity child app and see the new section 'Refresh Options'.

The refresh is done automatically each time the report is run.

2.0.6 - 05/07/20 - Added 'Device Refresh' to Activity

2 Likes

Can the refresh be disabled?

Another new version on GitHub...

2.0.7 - 05/07/20 - Added a disable switch to the brand new amazing feature 'refresh'.

1 Like

Oh that's good. I have Xiaomi/Aqara connected to a Mi Home hub using the Mi Connector app.
A refresh of the device on HE causes it to be removed from the inactivity report even if it still hasn't checked in.
Thanks.

When I tried to run a report, I got this...

Unexpected Error
An unexpected error has occurred trying to load the app. Check Logs for more information.
Error: Unparseable date: "null"

Logs say this...

app:2912020-05-07 14:21:17.555 errorjava.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "null" on line 623 (pageStatus)
app:2912020-05-07 14:20:09.299 errorjava.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "null" on line 623 (pageStatus)
app:2912020-05-07 14:19:39.772 errorjava.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "null" on line 623 (pageStatus)
app:2912020-05-07 14:18:01.910 errorgroovy.lang.GroovyRuntimeException: Ambiguous method overloading for method com.hubitat.hub.executor.AppExecutor#schedule.
Cannot resolve which method to invoke for [null, class java.lang.String] due to overlapping prototypes between:

• [class java.lang.String, class java.lang.String]*
  • [class java.util.Date, class java.lang.String] on line 245 (updated)*

Are there any limits on what types of devices should or should not be included in the lists? On one hub, its mostly z-wave/zigbee, but on the other hub I have all virtual devices connected to things via IP or whatever... Thats the one that threw the error.

Device must have a 'Last Activity At' value. Look at the devices throwing the error and see if it's there. Down the bottom in the Device Details section of each device.

Looks like one of them was the WDG Data virtual device... :joy: I removed that one but still getting the error... And in the logs, I don't see a reference to the device... I might have to dig through all of them to see if I can find any others without that value...

Basically any 'real' device will have that value. Any virtual devices may or may not.

1 Like

Found it! It was my Vizio TV... The TV itself was fine, but each input had a child device... Those do not show the value and hence the error...

Awesome work, and thank you again!

2 Likes

Any users of Device Watchdog around here also multi-hub users of HubConnect? I have 5 hubs (4 devices hubs and 1 server hub that rolls up all the devices virtually for dashboarding and other purposes).

I ask because I'm wondering if it would be better to implement DW on each of the four hubs where the physical devices reside? Or put DW on my single hub where all my Hubitat/virtual devices live? Hubconnect virtual devices do appear to replicate the Last Activity Date of their physical twins, so I'm guessing putting a single instance of DW on the server hub is the better choice.

Any opinions or experiences?