[RELEASE] Device Status Announcer (TTS or notification if lock unlocked, door/window open, etc.)

Thanks!!

Hi @bertabcd1234 ,
great app, thanks for the work you have done. I use this to make sure the house is secure at night and when I leave.
I have an idea for a new feature if you are interested.
If it could ckeck energy meters and power meters for a value above a threashold. Then it could advise if I have left the TV, or Iron on or something else I am concerned about that I have plugged into one of my KASA Plugs.

I like that idea! I just added power meter (power readings) as a "custom" attribute that can be monitored in version 3.1, just released. As in the first post, manual or HPM installation should both work.

I didn't add energy readings, as those are KWh, i.e., cumulative and not instantaneous(-ish?), and so that seems to me like it would be less likely in figuring out the current state of a device. It would be pretty easy to add this if there is really a need, otherwise, some day, I really want to add the ability to add truly custom attributes, rather than just the list that I have hardcoded beyond the more common ones like locks and contact sensors...

1 Like

I don't know if this helps but in my case I have a pico remote on each night stand in our bedroom. When the center button is pushed it turns off all lights in the house, the tv, locks both front and back doors (using device status announce to let us know if a door doesn't lock) and a couple of other things. This way I don't worry about leaving the tv on.

Thanks @bertabcd1234 ,
Just checked this out and it works well. Done so quickly too, champion!
I agree with your point on the energy readings it makes sense.

Cheers
Tony

Thanks for the reply. That makes sence but I do have another case where maybe I want to leave it on if someone else is watching it and ignore that announcement. Bertabcd1234 has already done the suggestion I made so all good.
Cheers

Could put a motion sensor in and create an if statement (if motion active leave tv on)

I just upgraded to the latest version 3.1 on HPM but now I have ‘trace’ events flooding the logs. How do I disable these events?

First, nothing should have been "flooding" anything, just a few entries per device when a certain feature was used, namely "custom groups," and only when something was being evaluated (e.g., making an announcement).

That being said, I've found the source -- some logging I must have accidentally left in from development -- and removed it. Version 3.1.1 is out now with this change. (This is the only change, so existing users and choose to upgrade or not, depending on whether this matters for them.)

Installation and upgrade are available either manually or via HPM, as in first post.

Sorry Robert, no offence intended. The number of additional trace log entries in my logs is a reflection of how useful I find your app. I have dozens of child instances and many have large numbers of devices so literally hundreds of additional log entries since I upgraded last night. Maybe ‘spamming’ rather than flooding would have been a more appropriate choice of words.

Thanks for the prompt response and quick fix.

Oh, no problem--I don't mind how passionate many users, myself included, feel about logging options. :smiley: It was an easy fix. Thanks for pointing out the problem!

1 Like

Thanks for this app. Just what I needed!

WOW, this looks great :+1: I'm using virtual contact switches with Alex to make announcements. So maybe your code may work better. I'll have to try it later today.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated :pray:

1 Like

@bertabcd1234, do you think it would be possible to use hub variables in the prepend and append sections?

Probably. :slight_smile: Just curious, what is the use case?

I would like to use the app to trigger messages that need to be fixed, followed by the cause (open doors or windows). This would allow me to use a single child instance instead of creating one per situation.

Many thanks for sharing! I was looking to start writing a rule for a similar situation ( set house alarm but windows are open or doors are unlocked). I was trying to get my head around the best way of approaching it, when I found your app.

Brilliant, Really appreciate it as this is making the move from Vera Plus to Hubitat that bit less hassle.
Mike

One thing that would be useful is to only send messages to devices that are 'present'. For example if I am away on business and my wife is going out and sets the alarm, it is better that she receives the notification rather than me. If both of us are home and going out together then if both of us get the message that would be ok.

Just released an update, version 3.2, with this feature. :slight_smile: It should work in any of the four text inputs, including these two. I've tested it and tried to be a good "hub variable citizen," including registering the variables as in use and even changing the variable name in the app if you change it in Hub Variables Settings, so hopefully it works without problem. Format is just %hubVariableName% like in many other string inputs in other app UIs.

Let me know if anyone sees any problems!

I'll think about this. As usual, no guarantees.

Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome!!! Thanks! Will let you know if I run into any issues.