[RELEASE] Device Status Announcer (TTS or notification if lock unlocked, door/window open, etc.)

disregard, I had the original beta installed child app that you sent me long ago and it was interfering with the release code. All Good now!

Agreed!

1 Like

@bertabcd1234

Robert, looks like some debugging is logging even with the option disabled?

Try just hitting "Done" to save the settings again (or perhaps enabling and re-disabling the setting). I have an idea of what might be causing that, and this would be a workaround if so.

1 Like

Going in to each of the child apps enabling/disabling logging has resolved the debug logging ignoring the setting

EDIT: my apps are no longer showing debug logging after your suggestion, thanks.

Robert,

I have started using your app in the last week and finding many great uses for it. Wish I had discovered it earlier.

I have a child app (V3) set up to monitor a custom device type (a Switch in my case) and am still getting trace logs even though I have gone into the advanced settings and enabled/disabled the logging. It is only this one child app that has the issue. All other child apps I have created use the standard device type of Sensor and they don’t appear to be logging any ‘trace’ events.

No big deal and the functionality seems to work fine.

Steve

Did the trick a couple posts above help? It's also possible I just never cleaned up some logs I added for testing during development and could address that if not.

Hello I have installed Device Status Announcer Release 2.0 and am using it with my Hubitat C7. I love the app and installed it to notify me when I arm the HSM and leave a door or window open. I created groups within the app i.e. Doors, Windows etc. The app texts me that a door or window sensor is open (it texts the group that is open) but does not specify which particular sensor is open. Is there a way to have the app tell me which door or window sensor is open? I apologize if this has been discussed.

In order to know specifically which door or window is open, you will need to select them individually.

An option would be to use the group to find our if any is open and then have a child app that includes all doors and/or windows to find out which one specifically is opened.

1 Like

If you want to be notified of an individual device, then you don't want to create a group. A group is used to put multiple devices with different display names under the same "name" in the notification; the use case I had in mind were things like a lock and a contact sensor for the same door.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. That worked.

@bertabcd1234, would it be difficult to add an option to save the resulting string to a device or variable instead of having it output to a notification device?

Probably not, though I haven't tried to say for sure. :smiley: A variable seems like a neat idea--then you could display it on a Dashboard or something or get a notification on your own timeline without any extra effort or additional custom code needed! The biggest thing I can think of is that I think hub variable strings are limited to 255 characters, which I could see some of these getting close to, so maybe a slightly different format would be warranted.

3 Likes

That’s not a lot of characters… There’s also the “Dashboard Variable Device” driver created by @thebearmay that can be used to store strings, but not sure how many characters that one can use.

Dashboard attribute values are limited to 1024 characters, so a bit more but still not a ton (I see discussion in another thread about Bruce contemplating raising the string variable limit to that, too, so I'm not sure if there will be much difference after that [if it happens]...though now that I think about it, I'm betting hub variables won't like HTML or other formatting in the tile, which an attribute on a device could probably do.)

1 Like

If you use the setGlobalVar() you can embed HTML in a string variable

1 Like

I think I may have discovered a bug. If you set a Daily at This Time, then decide to use another method of activating the rule, there is no way to delete the time option. You can change it to another time, but it doesn't allow it to be removed.

I am not able to replicate the problem; if there is one, it's likely an artifact of however the time picker is implemented in your browser. In Firefox, I'm able to backspace (not delete) over all fields to blank them out. Other browsers probably have something similar (but possibly different; I do remember that Safari always seems to be odd with these).

If this isn't working for you, it seems like a Hubitat UI issue that should be addressed, though I could probably work around any oddities by adding a separate way to remove this setting if really needed.

2 Likes

I was using Safari on OSX. Tried Chrome and that let me delete it. Difference in screens:

Safari

Chrome

Hi.
Would you mind showing me how you have your virtual switch triggering this app?
I'm trying to get it to repeat every two minutes if a door or window is left open.
I'm still in the learning phase.
Thanks for your help.

I don't have any setup exactly like that, but for a single door, a rule like this might do:

Trigger: Door open

Actions:

Wait for event: elapsed time --> 0:02:00
Repeat While (Door Open) every 0:02:00
  On: Virtual Switch
 // (I'm assuming your switch automatically turns off, an option in the virtual
 // switch driver, but otherwise turn it off here, too)
END-REP

For multiple sensors, you can adjust the triggers and logic to do something similar.