[RELEASE] DarkSky.net Weather Driver, no PWS Required

To my knowledge it is not possible to poll for just a single data element? You either poll for 'forecast' data, or you don't poll. If you want illuminance every five minues (the driver now allows down to every two minutes) you poll the DarkSky site for the data and you get all the data, not just illuminance. I suppose it may be possible to NOT display the other refreshed data and keep it at the older value, but why? The amount of data being returned by DarkSky will not change and the database stores the last 1,000 values, regardless of when (or how often) that data changes so there is no 'resource' savings.

I don't think so .... or at least I don't know how? Other drivers described this as a separate data pull when in reality they were just setting up a different schedules for 'nightlime' to reduce the polling frequency (but not the amount of data returned in each poll) since illuminance is not valuable when it is dark. This driver does allow for 'Daytime' and 'Nighttime' schedules for that same reason.

OK. No worries. I don't know how these things work so was just querying.
Every 30 mins or an hour is fine for me anyway but just thought I would ask.
Once again, great driver and thanks for doing this.

2 Likes

I'd like to see precipitation and temperature forecast for each hour

Only 10 people voted and overwhelmingly against adding hourly data. Let me think if there is way to allow some for only those that select it, without adding that overhead to everyone else who will no use it. No promises ... but I'll think about how I might do that.

Is there an app that will give weather updates by sonos, I was trying message central, but it seems none of the current states are exposed to it?

Is there a way I can get the weatherSummary into a notification? And into a dashboard?

Thanks.

Notifcation? .... perhaps. I have a RM4 rule that will send a Pushover message anytime the 'alert' changes. You could do the same with the 'weatherSummary'.

weatherSummary, or any other attribute you have selected can be put on a dashboard. Select the device, then 'attribute' then the attribute you want to show. (If it is an 'optional' attribute make sure you have it turned 'on' in the device preferences).

Great, thanks. Will try it.
Yeah, I'd like to send the text from weatherSummary to myself each morning in a notification.

Tried to stuff the weatherSummary into a variable using the device attributes. Doesn't work. Tried also to refresh the poll prior in the rule. Still doesn't work.

Seems like there should be a way to get a device attribute into a variable and then use it in a message or notification surely?

I'm seeing this error in the logs...

This is a question for a RM4 topic, not this driver. The weatherSummary attribute is available .... you just need to figure out how to get it to do what you want. I don't beleive that requires any driver modifications (let me know if you think it does). Your question (for a RM4 topic) should be 'How to get a notification containing the contents of a custom attribute?'

1 Like

Is your weatherSummary variable defined as a string?

Yes

1 Like

Not yours! I know yours is (I've been studying your code a bit :wink: ) LOL

That was for @Angus_M :slight_smile: That's what I think is the failure in setting the weatherSummary to a variable; The local (or global) variable isn't defined as a string.

Agreed. I will raise it to @bravenel.

Dear Bruce - is it possible to stick the string contents of a custom variable into a notification/message please? I'm hoping to have the weatherSummary from the awesome new Darksky driver available in a notification/message every morning. Can't work out how to do it.

Yeah it's a string. I set it up like this...

I just get "Null" in my notification and spoken at my Google Mini, which is the initial value I gave the string when I set the (local) variable up. It's not getting the value from the driver. I guess I'm doing it wrong somehow.

1 Like

Well, that shot down my theory! Hopefully Bruce will have an answer.

Yeah, no worries. Thanks for trying to help.

1 Like

I tried it also with a Global Variable in case that would help, but same difference.

Just use %variable-name% in the message.

Tried that, as above. It didn't work (see error posted above).

Actually, I just managed to fix it by changing the name of the variable to 'weatherSummaryText'. Prior to that it was the same as the attribute ('weatherSummary'). I guessed maybe there was a conflict and by changing it, it now works! Maybe that's something you can check and resolve? It should be ok to have a variable with the same name as an attribute right?