[RELEASE] Combined Presence

I’m doing the same as @aaiyar and it’s working well for my wife and I.

2 Likes

Good deal! I'll give it a try tonight!

I'm still having some unreliability with the HE app for iPhone. It's maybe 90% accurate. So I'm using Combined Presence with a combination of:

• iPhone Wifi
  • Alexa geofencing
  • Homekit geofencing
  • HE app geofencing
1 Like

On Android, the HE app seems to work well for me. However, geofencing using the Alexa Android app is often off.

I use a combination of your (@jwetzel1492) iPhone WiFi, HE app geofencing, and Automatic dongles from cars (via Automatic's IFTTT integration and a virtual switch).

So in this image here, chris home, everyone home and so on are virtual presence sensors or are they switches ? IE if wifi + HK + HE = True set Chris home to On ?

1 Like

According to @spotty’s post above, and the icons on that dashboard, those are presence sensors.

1 Like

They are Virtual Presence Sensors that are being controlled by Combined Presence combining the stuff to the left of them.

1 Like

Hi Joel,

I just discovered your Combined Presence and it looks perfect.

I'm building a pair of virtual presence device for myself and my wife. I have 3 underlying signals (Hubitat app, iPhone, and iPad) while my while has only one (iPhone). I also built out a dashboard to visualize and debug my config. For simplicity, I'm using the Advanced Combined Presence Instance for both virtual presence devices.

I notice that my wife's aggregated presence from the one presence doesn't signal correctly. It is stuck as present even though the underlying presence is not there. I've tried the Standard Binding with a similar result.

As a shot in the dark, have you tested these combiners with the degenerate case of one underlying presence signal?

George

thanks so much @jwetzel1492 for this app.
I used to get soo many false / duplicate logins - but now with the daisychain of presence my logins are smooth and accurate. Really really appreciate your efforts.

1 Like

Hi George,
You know, I actually haven't. I probably won't be able to test it this week (busy week at work), but I'll put it on my TODO list.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, Nice work and just what I am looking for as I transition from Smartthings presence embedded functionality. However I am struggling with how to get "My iPhone Alexa" triggers. I've tried to create virtual Alexa switches and geoposition routines linked with Hubitat to trigger based on location BUT Alexa cannot handle multiple people locations on the same account. How do I get separate iPhone Alexa presence for my wife and I? Thanks in advance.

When you set up the Alexa routines, you have to set up each one on the phone that is going to trigger it. So I had to set up one Alexa presence-triggered routine on my own phone, and set up the other one on my wife's phone.

2 Likes

That's what "I thought" I did. Both iPhones had the Hubitat skill implemented in their respective Alexa app and I authorized them to two different Alex virtual Presence devices (one for me and one for my wife) in Hubitat. I created the virtual devices in Hubitat using "Virtual Presence with Switch" by @ogiewon. Once I had everything setup/routines written for arrival/leaving I could trigger them in Alexa and monitor the results in Hubitat dashboard. The result was my routine "say leaving", triggered both my wife and my presence simultaneously to the same state, leaving. So that's where the confusing comes in. Is this the correct approach?

I believe I figured it out. I failed to use the Hubitat Built-in Echo skill to expose the devices created with @ogiewon virtual presence with Switch. Once I added the built in app and added those switches to the app, Amazon immediately discovered them as new devices. I then setup the geolocation routines on each phone using the Hubitat virtual switches and all seems to work as desired, at least toggling manually. I'll test tomorrow leaving and arriving my geolocation.

2 Likes

OK still struggling with Alexa Presence keeping my wife and I separate. Since both phones authorize the Hubitat skill to trigger based on a change in location AND our accounts are shared I end up authorizing both "Virtual Presence with Switch". Do you and your wife have completely separate Alexa accounts? Or do you make a new "no credit card" account for one of you to separate the triggers?

Ah, you are jogging my memory. I think we had to log in to the Alexa app with our separate accounts, but they are joined in the "family" or something.

1 Like

Yes, that is was I did as well. I ended up deleting it though, because the Alexa app on iOS was killing my battery, and the presence was not reliable (though it may be better now). I set up Homebridge and have that trigger a virtual presence switch on HE. This has always worked, even when the HE app didn't.

1 Like

I am a long time ST user trying to migrate to HE. Getting concerned about the hoops I need to jump through for presence. The next hurdle I faced was notifications. Is it really worth the effort? I like the idea of being local and faster but I can't seem to get beyond basic home away etc stuff so I can start the painful task of removing and adding all of my 40 or so devices. Just want an honest viewpoint.

It is worth the effort, but it does take some time and effort to learn the different way if doing things. I came from ST for local control, but also for the flexibility and the community of people here that are very helpful and active in the forums. The HE app is as good as any app for presence and you can use that by itself for now. If you’re keeping ST, you can use that for a second presence sensor as well.

Thanks...I'll keep at it and yes I see as ST as a potential bridge as I migrate presence and other things. Thanks