[RELEASE] Combined Presence

community_app

I had an interesting glitch the other day. My wife's Alexa app wrongly decided she had left the house one day. So then when her iPhone's wifi went to sleep, Combined Presence decided that she was actually away from the house. I myself was actually away from the house at that time, so my rules started trying to lock all the doors and shut the garage. Unfortunately, my wife and kids were playing in the garage and driveway at the time, so to them, it seemed like the house was going crazy.

So now I'm using Combined Presence with 3 input sensors for each person:

• Alexa geofencing
  • HomeKit geofencing
  • iPhone Wifi Presence Sensor

I haven't had a problem since. The Alexa and HomeKit apps seem to use slightly different geofencing algorithms, so my home is that they won't be subject to the same error at the same time.

How do you setup Alexa geo-fencing?

The Alexa app on your phone lets you set up "Routines". I have a pair for "Steve's device leaves home" and "Steve's device arrives home". If you haven't created routines yet, it's pretty easy. The geo-fencing part even lets you adjust the radius of the area around your house.

The trick is what to do when leaving or arrival are detected. That's where the "Virtual Presence with switch" driver gets involved. All it does is act like a switch connected to a presence sensor. Alexa sees it as a switch, so it can turn it on when you arrive and off when you leave. Hubitat sees it as a presence sensor, so it can control modes and stuff.

Do you need help installing the device driver and setting up virtual devices, or just wondering about the Alexa side?

I have Routines setup in Alexa but unfortunately, being in Canada, we don't have the option of geo-fencing yet. I just wondered if there was another way of doing it using the virtual presence.

Shoot, that stinks that Canada doesn't get it yet. You can also do the same thing with HomeKit, if you have a HomeKit/Homebridge setup. And there are other geofencing apps that can do the same thing too.

I don't have homekit/homebridge because I would need to get a more current ipad.:anguished: Right now I use Locative, WebCore Presence and ST Presence. Some are more reliable then others. This is what lead me to Combined Presence. :smirk:

@jwetzel1492, I just tried to update your Combined Presence App on my system and I got the naming error below....

Just thought you should know. :slight_smile:

Do you have the parent app installed?

That was the parent I was trying to reinstall.
It was as if there was a cut and paste mistake.

“Combined Presence instance” is the child app.

Edit: just looked at the GitHub repo.

I think you might be right.

I’m away from my hubitat this week, but I’ll look at it as soon as I can.

Ok, you guys are correct that I made a copy-paste error. I have reverted the changes to the combinedPresence.groovy file.

Awesome man.
Thx