[RELEASE] Combined Presence

Since HomeKit has proven to be very reliable, I've taken your advice and removed Wifi detection from the Departing logic. So far it's working well and very fast:

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.28.32 pm

1 Like

I cannot find standardCombinedPresenceInstance.groovy in GitHub

It's there:

Sorry bother but how do you get th iCloud setup for presence? I, too, want to move away from wifi presence and appreciate any help. Search revealed nothing for "iCloud presence"...

Sorry and Thank You

1 Like

I did a write up here on how I use Homekit with this app.. basically the same setup for Alexa as well if you've connected HE to Alexa. For Connecting HE to Homekit you really need an apple device and Homebridge running.

3 Likes

Yes, will implement Homekit and Alexa tonight. Thanks for the pointer...couldnt find it myself.

Go Seahawks!

Go hawks (and Sounders)!
For bet results though, I highly suggest keeping the iPhone Wifi app on as another input, it's a good safeguard to GPS not knowing you are actually home in those rare events for Homekit, but very often for Alexa.

1 Like

Go Hawks!

2 Likes

Very minor nitpick. Would it be possible to rename the apps from Advanced Combined Presence Instance and Standard Combined Presence Instance to Combined Presence Standard Instance and Combined Presence Advanced Instance?

This will make all the Advanced Presence code in the app list right next to each other.

1 Like

So glad when others point out these details, so I know it’s not just me. :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting idea. I wonder if that would mess up Hubitat Package Manager? I’m not sure.

There is a way to do previous names in HPM. I think it is alternatenames.

Setting this up for the first time. Does it make sense to use the same presence sensor I used for my phone GPS-based sensor as my output sensor?

Or is it recommended to make a new sensor? What's the best way of doing this?
Just adding a new Virtual Device from the Devices page? What Type should I assign this?

EDIT: I see that there's a Virtual Presence type. I created a new virtual device with this type and set it as the Output Sensor. Let me know if this isn't correct!

That is correct. The output sensor should be a new virtual sensor.

1 Like

I'm also confused by these comments:

How does the Combined Presence Hubitat App natively interact with the Alexa iOS app?

I'm familiar with Alexa app geofencing and Routines but the way the original post is written, I can't tell if the integration is native or via some switch to virtual presence sensor hack.

If the later, may I suggest expanding the prerequisites to include explanations/links to how to setup "My iPhone Alex," "My iPhone WiFi," etc.

I think you're close. You set up a virtual presence sensor / switch in Hubitat, and expose it out to Alexa. Then in the Alexa app, you make two routines: One for arrival and one for departure. Those routines change the state of the Hubitat virtual presenseSensor/switch.

I have a driver for the virtual sensor here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/joelwetzel/Hubitat-Miscellaneous-Drivers/master/EnhancedVirtualPresenceSensor.groovy

1 Like

And this driver is necessary because the state of Hubitat's native virtual presence sensor cannot be changed by Alexa Routines?

Correct. Alexa routines can only change switches. But Combined Presence operates on PresenceSensors, not switches.

Fortunately, both Switch and PresenceSensor are two-state systems: On/Off and Present/NotPresent. So it's easy to make a virtual device that implements them at the same time.

1 Like

All set-up. Fingers crossed.

One hiccup, how do I expose an 'Enhanced Virtual Presence Sensor' to the wife's Alexa account? It appears I am not able to create a second instance of Hubitat's Amazon Echo Skill (existing instance is linked to my Alexa account).