[RELEASE] BTLE Presence Sensor (Tile Mate)

It should - I tested the original domoticz script (the same one that Brian is using) with a couple of tiles (trackr and nut) when I first set this over a year ago and they both send the periodic beacon signal even when paired to the respective apps. I eventually settled on cheap beacons from China as the above tiles had extremely poor battery life)

1 Like

Yes. It should.

1 Like

Hi Norbert,

im sorry i wasnt ignoring you, For some unknown reason the forum stopped notifying me of your posts on here and id assumed you had it all up and running. It was only when i found the time to edit the youtube vids i made that i came back here to check on some stuff. I hope that your all sorted now.

Did you set up a notification rule for it?
have you put the he app on your phone?

@brianwilson just wanted to say thank you in providing the script and instructions on your github; I managed installing it on my first raspberry pi zero W ever! :slight_smile:

A couple of tips that might help other people who might have been on the same boat with me (newbie in raspberry pi and this project):

• To install BLE Scanner on their phone (I'm on Android, iOS might have similar) to identify the Tile; as I find this is a faster way to do it (as you can move closer/further from your phone - rather than having the pi connected to the long cable/use powerbank)
  • Once configured properly, to test it, you can put the Tile inside the microwave (providing you have a good insulation microwave) the Tile will then show 'away'.

Minor suggestions:

• On your Hubitat installation step 2, you mentioned that you have added "Home-Spawn1" virtual device, perhaps worth changing it with "Home-Amy" instead, consider your previous example (inside TAG_DATA) has "Brian" and "Amy" (and not "Spawn1").
  • Add REPEAT_MODE example in the doco, this might help newbie to know how to use it (and the benefit out of it)

Questions:

• I used the REPEAT_MODE and I can see it returned RSSI in the Hubitat virtual device. Now, how can I retrieve this RSSI value in hubitat? I tried creating a new rule based on 'presence', it has no option to get that information? FOUND IT, it's under "Custom Attribute" action
  • I guess for this question, I should raise with the original script creator (jmleglise), but you might know the answer to this too: in test_beacon.py, it accepts TAG_DATA too, is it using the same format with the check_beacon_presence.py? I wonder whether I can use this data to be able to show the log results using a device name (rather than a mac address)

Thank you

Mark,

I apologize for not getting back to you as well. Been in a bit of a funk for a while and the project has been relegated to the "back burner", well almost everything has regarding home projects. Also took in 4 kittens about a month or go that were just a couple of weeks old and still needed bottle feeding and have lost lots of sleep since but the kittens are doing well and hope to adopt them out in the next six weeks. We decided to become fosters last year since I was at home anyway. We work with a local rescue group so we have help and support. This will be our 4th group in a year's time and second of this year. The first two we got were sick when we got them and did not survive. It has been hard on a lot of fosters this year as many of the litters are succumbing to illness. I still have the equipment but just not the time to tinker and get it going. I was close though and intend to see it through as I need a good success even if it is trivial.

I hope you are doing well and healthy.

Cheers,

Norbert

1 Like

I adjusted this example as you mention. I agree it was confusing.

I do mention REPEAT_MODE in the doc - should I say more? It's enabled by default.

Hi Brian,

Hope that all is well for you, Bit of a strange one for you! my hub crashed and i was unable to restore the backup. Ive started fresh with a basic installation but im getting some strange logs.

I've pasted them below, i haven't re added the BTLE set up yet and am wondering if these are some sort of cloud legacy going on

I don't think this is the case and I'm clutching at straws here, its just a coincidence that I had 3 raspis' set up and so I'm wondering....

If you’ve reinstalled the app, it’ll have a new URL that you’ll put in the btle script. Looks like an old URL is being called and that app does not exist anymore.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me, i havnt had time to reinstall it yet, so nothing is running. Ive powered down all the tags and ras pies so that cant be requesting the info.

The requests are local though so its got to be something directly connected to my network.

Even if it’s local, the URL will change as the app will have a different number.

Has anybody here tried this with an Apple Airtag yet? It claims to be Bluetooth, so if I can identify its signature, would it work with BTLE Presence Sensor? Or am I being too optimistic? :slight_smile:

Supposedly they rotate BT identifiers, so my research is saying no.

Yes, apparently it's a 'privacy' feature. How tedious. Oh well, we live in hope.

BTW - Loving this tool otherwise. It's really help solve a problem for me!

Hi Brian,

Is it possible to add "Enable DescriptionText logging" on the device?
So that it shows in the log whenever the device presence is changing?

Thanks

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for putting this out there! It's working great so far with my testing. I made a couple small changes just to pipe the output to Node-RED rather than the HE app (I combine my Unifi presence detection with it), but the underlying function is working out well.

FYI. These are on sale. Any should work B-Stock - Refresh | Tile

1 Like

Thanks! Picked up two more Pros (2020). Much better range than the Mates or the Slim.

Do you have experience with the Pro (2018)? Can't beat the price of those. I am specifically interested in the range performance.