[Release] [*ALPHA*] Lightify Gateway Integration - 0.22

Howdy!!

If you enable log debug for the app, is anything showing in your logs?

I have tried to uninstall , reinstall. Was I supposed to (after adding child device code) add the devices as virtual devices? (Virtual devices:scrolltobottom:addlightifychild device from list)?? <-(did that btw)

I can see that the child devices show up when I set a dimmer or switch in rule machine. However they were unresponsive by themselves.

Another thing I noticed is that, while trying to follow the instructions, ... after I added child driver codes, I went into the app to input IP and set the refresh(which was already set at 30), I noticed the gateway device was automatically added to devices but the child devices weren't added. So i manually added them as virtual devices, then went into app to manage devices tab and couldn't find anything.

No, you only need to install the app. Devices will be created by the app after the gateway propagates them, and you select them from the app to be created.

You should delete the virtual bulbs, but keep the gateway. Is there anything being passed into your logs? I'd imagine, since it's seeing the gateway, the devices should show up. Otherwise there is something going on with the communications to the gateway.

Woke up to this email this morning. and though I would share:

THE LIGHTIFY CLOUD SERVERS WILL BE SWITCHED OFF ON AUGUST 31st 2021

Dear LIGHTIFY User,

Unfortunately, we have to share some bad news with you today. After five years of service, we have taken the tough decision to shut-off the LIGHTFY cloud servers on August 31st, 2021.

What you need to know now:

You still have plenty of time to react. The LIGHTIFY cloud servers will be available until August 31st, 2021. Only after this date the LIGHTIFY service and support will be discontinued.

This means, that there will be no further updates and a connection to the Amazon and Google voice assistants will not be possible anymore after this date. Compatibility to newer versions of the iOS and Android operating systems can’t also be assured thereafter. However, until then you can use your LIGHTIFY system without limitations.

As the LIGHTIFY System is a cloud-based system, the majority of functions will unfortunately be lost and LIGHTIFY app control will be only very limited. Here you can find an overview of all affected functions.

What you need to do after this period:

To control your smart lights and plugs beyond August 31st, 2021, you need to fully reset your entire system. Afterwards you can simply integrate it into any other ZigBee® compatible system – like other smart lighting or smart home systems with intelligent assistants that are available on the market.

Why is OSRAM switching off the LIGHTIFY cloud servers?

The LIGHTIFY system is meanwhile technically outdated: Its performance (e.g. in respect to reaction times when controlling devices) is significantly lower compared to other systems in the market. Furthermore, the implemented ZigBee® standard is not state of the art anymore (ZigBee® Light Link and ZigBee® Home Automation instead of ZigBee® 3.0) which makes it more and more difficult to ensure compatibility to other smart home systems. The needed investments can unfortunately not be made – especially in regard to the divestment of the general lighting end-consumer business in 2016.

We post updates regularly on our website with updated FAQs.

As always, we will try to answer all your questions which can be addressed via our usual e-mail address lightify@osram.com.

Kind regards

Your LIGHTIFY Team

1 Like

@adamkempenich Maybe since they are shutting down they will release the code for the system? Not sure if that would help, but if so might be worth contacting them to see.

1 Like

I swear, they will go to any length to blame everything pre-Zigbee 3.0 for all of their problems. I remember they stopped letting US users crossgrade from the ZHA to ZLL firmware (to make them usable with Hue, for example) under the promise that it was because they'd be standardizing on Zigbee 3.0. I think their new Smart+ bulbs are Zigbee 3.0, but the implication was certainly not that their plan was to make you need to swap out your hardware for this. And now: they're discontinuing cloud services because it's too hard to support ZLL and ZHA 1.2 and Zigbee 3.0 (not sure what matters on the cloud side for this aside from possible Gateway firmware updates).

This company has long been on my "do not buy" list. This integration (and their competitive prices) almost made me change my mind, but this reasoning has probably cemented their space on that list. :slight_smile: (To be clear, I support any company's decision to do as they wish with their cloud services. This doesn't affect most people who just use them on a local Zigbee hub of their choosing. They just have a bad history of how they rationalize their decisions.) That being said, I assume nothing here should affect this integration unless they do something to brick your existing/working Gateway...

Maybe they'll relinquish the ZLL firmware for the original generation now? :smiley:

3 Likes

I finally got the app working with more than 20 devices. I'll submit an update to GitHub (if I can figure that out). Struggled a bit with the right way to append arrays so they were one-dimensional but once I got past that it was a breeze. Kinda fun to warm up my coding chops--it's been a while.

2 Likes

You can message it to me directly if you don't want to sort through a PR :slight_smile: I will add packet-size validation so that the extended parse only runs when the first packet's size is 1024 bytes (the cap).

Thanks for making time to do that!!

They claim it doesn't exist. I've sent dozens of messages to OSRAM, Lightify, and LEDVANCE staff. Usually they say one of the other two groups will have to get it to me, but at the end of every chain, they say they don't have it...

FWIW, a random thread I found on Reddit once hinted that ST could do this if they applied specific (older) firmware to your hub (presumably they once had this firmware update baked into the hub firmware and then replaced it with the newer or at least ZHA version). However, they had no idea what I was talking about, either. :slight_smile:

I reached out to ST staff, as well, and they've stopped doing that too :confused: I recall seeing that thread, too.

I tried to PM directly but it looks funky. I'll try again....

1 Like

I searched but didn't find. When lightify shuts down their gateway, will @adamkempenich program still function?
$22.99 - 6-Pack - Sylvania Lightify LED Smart Connection Light Gateway and A19 Bulb Kit

• Coupon Code: BULB32420

https://www.vminnovations.com/Pro...index.html

• Manufacturer warranty: 1-year warranty
  • Quantity: 6
  • A hub with ZigBee protocol is required for controlling Sylvania smart bulbs and wall plugs
  • Pair with compatible hubs such as Lightify Gateway, SmartThings, Wink or Amazon Echo Plus
  • Integrate voice control by pairing Alexa or Google Assistant to your existing hub
  • Enjoy the benefits of hands free lighting control by asking to turn the lights on and off, dim, and more
  • Monitor your lights right from your smartphone and create schedules and automation's to fit your daily routines
  • Enjoy dimming capabilities right from your smartphone. Dim the lights before bedtime or increase the brightness to keep a well-lit house at night
  • Wattage: 60W
  • Bulb shape: A19
  • Base type: Medium E26
  • Color temperature: 2700K
  • Voltage: 120 volt
  • Rate life: 11,000 hours

Adam is aware.

So will it still work , since it's local, or there is still a cloud component?
TY

I see Adam is replying. Better from him.

1 Like

I’m still not sure. I contacted Lightify and they haven’t decided, yet. I’d imagine you’d still be able to use any already set-up gateways, but can’t promise anything. You wouldn’t be able to set up a new one, either, unless I can reverse engineer that/they release the source.

1 Like

Thank you adam. considering the RIPOFF that is hue, for 22 bucks I;'m getting 6 bulbs and a gateway
so even if I get 1 year out of it, I'm still ahead
$22.99 - 6-Pack - Sylvania Lightify LED Smart Connection Light Gateway and A19 Bulb Kit

• Coupon Code: BULB32420

https://www.vminnovations.com/Pro...index.html

• Manufacturer warranty: 1-year warranty
  • Quantity: 6
  • A hub with ZigBee protocol is required for controlling Sylvania smart bulbs and wall plugs
  • Pair with compatible hubs such as Lightify Gateway, SmartThings, Wink or Amazon Echo Plus
  • Integrate voice control by pairing Alexa or Google Assistant to your existing hub
  • Enjoy the benefits of hands free lighting control by asking to turn the lights on and off, dim, and more
  • Monitor your lights right from your smartphone and create schedules and automation's to fit your daily routines
  • Enjoy dimming capabilities right from your smartphone. Dim the lights before bedtime or increase the brightness to keep a well-lit house at night
  • Wattage: 60W
  • Bulb shape: A19
  • Base type: Medium E26
  • Color temperature: 2700K
  • Voltage: 120 volt
  • Rate life: 11,000 hours
2 Likes