[RELEASE] Aeotec Range Extender 7

Now I see... you're conflating this with the firmware update thread. The "only got it to work with secure mode" refers to firmware updating only. Nothing to do with normal driver use (this thread).

right here in a comment above ie

Secure enrollment would cover the ability to turn the indicator on/off, and to conduct a range/power test. One could argue that a range/power test could be used as a form of DOS, but I would generally consider that to be of little importance. There are much easier ways to conduct a DOS attack on a Z-Wave network

yes it is.. not really sure of the plusses and minus as i also have enbrighten switchs and hsm200 paired in s2 secure mode.. so i think this needs to be as well to beam between them?

This isn't a statement of what this driver does. This is an explanation of what the capabilities of the device are (that S2 would protect), and why it's not important to run the device in secure mode.

Contrast with a garage door opener, which has capabilities that are very important to protect. It's important to run a garage door in secure mode.

2 Likes

Security is end to end. The intervening devices (repeaters) do not participate in the security conversation, they just forward (repeat) the packets.

Like all the routers between you and Google don't participate in the HTTPS protocol. They just forward the packets.

3 Likes

ok then so there is no benefit using s2 with these extenders.. i will remove and re-pair them at some point..

The driver has been updated to version 1.3.0. This version now supports secure pairing (S2).

Please note that this version requires Hubitat version 2.2.3 or above.

do you have any docs on what the power level test is/does etc.

Range Test and Power Test are standard Z-Wave tests for a repeater.

Range Test sends pings to a given target at the power specified, and reports how many replies it receives. This is useful for testing repeater placement.

Power Test operates the radio at reduced transmit power for a period of time. This is useful for general testing of paths through the repeater.

For both items testing at lower power levels gives you an indication of reliability. If the repeater functions at -9dBm in testing, you can be pretty confident that it will preform reliably at normal power level. However, if the repeater starts to loose packets by -2dBm, you probably need to find a better location.

3 Likes

I installed this repeater yesterday. I expected the repeater to appear in the routes of some devices buit it doesn't. Is this normal? Also ... wouldn't (some) routes change because of the added repeater?

Today I updated the driver from the "Generic z-wave repeater" to the driver from this thread. Is it okay that now or before I was not asked for the DSK?

I am trying to do range tests to 2 nearby fibaro motion sensors which I excluded and added after installing the repeater but with no success. Does the range test work to battery powered devices?

Thanks for who has time and patience to enlighten me.

Don't be worried about the repeater not showing up in routes. The repeater will generally be used over time as routes are recalculated. With Plus devices, this generally occurs in response to the device being operated, either physically or by Z-Wave command. With non Plus devices, you will have to perform a repair.

You will only be asked for the DSK at initial pairing. Changing the driver will not affect that. Nothing to worry about.

Range test will only work with a battery powered device if the device is awake for the duration of the test. This means that you have to wake the device up, run a test that fits in the time that the device stays awake, and the driver has to not send a wakeUpNoMoreInformation command to the device.

NB: You can suppress the wakeUpNoMoreInformation by using the "DEVICE" driver rather than the real one while you are testing. If you do this, be sure to run a configure after changing the device driver back, and then wake up the device to ensure the config is communicated to the device.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info and thanks for making the driver :+1:

3 Likes

I am trying to get the Range Extender 7 with my August Pro Lock for over a month. It will never route through the range extender. I just found your driver and tried to use it since it can perform the range test. What I am finding is that the range test succeeds for every device but my August Pro lock and a quickset lock, which report back as failed. The August Pro is included at S2 and the Quickset is at S0. I have tried the range extender included at no security and S2, but it makes no difference. Do you have any ideas for why the Range Extender doesn't seem to talk to the smart locks?

Are there are currently more than 2 hops from hub to lock?

Options I can think of without more information:

1. perform a repair on the repeater and lock
  2. exclude and re-include the lock
  3. relocate the extender, repeat 1/2
  4. Give it more time...

I don't have issues with the Kwikset, which is in the same room as the C7 hub. The August Pro either routes directly to the hub or with up to two hops between. The lock is unstable and will work shortly after a power down of either the hub or the lock itself. But shortly after, it stops responding so I figured the range extender should help.

Do you expect that the range test to be able to work with the locks? It is weird that right after a exclusion/inclusion of the range extender it is able to test all other devices, but fails when trying the locks?

I don't have much familiarity with various locks, but I do know that they are battery powered and spend most of their time sleeping to conserve power.

The range test is a direct (non routable) transmission from the range extender to the device under test. If the device sleeping, there is nothing to wake it up and the range test will fail. To test sleepy devices, you have to manually wake them up immediately prior to testing. You may also need to temporarily change the driver for the target device to the generic "Device" driver to prevent the hub from immediately sending a command to put the device back to sleep. Don't forget to put the proper driver back after testing.

Also, based upon what I've read in passing, you probably want the range extender relatively close to the lock... but I think you should confirm this with people who have more experience with locks. The thread that you started in the Support board is probably a good place.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense about the lock and range test. Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Thanks for this. The range test is very useful. Also, thank you for the description about "waking" the lock prior to testing. Works perfectly!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! And you are most welcome.

2 Likes

thanks for this driver .. a couple of requests.

i have had one drop off the net and never noticed.. it is possible to add some checkin code or something.. refresh() function does not return anything..
Maybe a runin command addeed with refresh() assuming refresh actually returned something.

I have to do a power or range test to see if it is still working.. would like to be able to schedule something say once a day to have something go into the event log to make sure it is still working and then use the device activity app to report to me if and when it drops off the net..

thanks in advance.