[RELEASE] Advanced Zooz Zen27 / Zen26 Central Scene Dimmer and Switch Drivers

Maybe zooz , @agnes.zooz, should remove their mentioned to this driver and any other community driver until they know for sure that they are able to work correctly with S2 authentication or at least mentioned that it won't work if you pair your switches like this, which i think it is the only way to include them in the new HE C7. This may help to avoid this kind of issues.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion. These are all recent changes and we weren't aware of the issues described by @brossow. We'll be testing the drivers and will either remove them from the documentation or add more disclaimers as you suggested.

2 Likes

I am trying this driver to mimic functionality I had on the SmartThings hub (moving over to HE now)...

I have a Zooz Zen27 switch that I had in an association group with a Zooz Zen23 toggle light switch, so that when I turn on/off the Zen 27, the 23 would parrot it. In my new setup, I *think the 27 has a hex ID of 1D, and the 23 has a hex ID of 1E (seeing these listed in the device list under "DNI" column).

So, I have tried setting the Group 2 Association to 1E (no joy), 0x1E (no joy), and lower case versions of the above, but it is not controlling the 23 when I turn on/off the 27. Am I getting something wrong? I am using the default zooz driver for the 23.

Thanks for any help - I appreciate it!

-randy

1 Like

Were both switches added as S2 Unauthenticated devices? Z-Wave devices need to be on the same security level to work in direct association.

1 Like

yes - they are both listed as S2 Unauthenticated. Do I have it right that the Hex ID is the value from the "DNI" column? And should the entry be just 1E, or Ox1E if so?

Is it possible to use this driver and association grouping to bind two ZEN27 switches together? I'm looking for a tight binding: any command on one switch is replicated on the other, and vice versa.

I've tried putting both node IDs, comma separated, into the association lines of the preferences section on both switches, but they won't act in concert. Running HE 2.2.4.145, switches are Zen27s on firmware 3.0.

Edit: doesn't seem like this driver works at all with 2.2.4... no response from the switches when I try to toggle the on/off state or change dimmer level using this driver

Have you tried using the "Mirror" built-in app? Perhaps Mirror A to B, then also do a Mirror of B to A. Or, similarly, do the same using Rule Machine.

Looking to do this with z-wave associations if at all possible. Should be faster response, and I get the added benefit that physically pressing one switch controls both circuits. Right now I'd have to add another rule to do that, and I'm trying to keep my rule count down to fight against sluggishness from the hub.

Edit: haven't looked into the mirror app... will do that tonight if I can't get associations figured out.

I would love to have this as well using association. I am currently using the mirror app and it works okay. Slight delay and sometimes if there’s a lot of z-wave traffic on the network they miss firing or it switches after a long delay.

Please update us if you get it working using direct associations.

As a warning / head's up - I tried to do something similar with associations a while back. This was on HomeSeer using some older dimmers. What I found is that if I associated A <-> B, and dimmer A changed, I could get A to control B, but dimmer B did not report its change to the controller. Thus, the controller would get out-of-sync with the devices. This might be a brand-dependent / firmware dependent problem - I don't think the Z-Wave protocol is clear about what reporting a device is required to perform when the device is controlled by an association rather than a physical button press. In the end, I decided it wasn't worth using associations and just did all my control from the hub. I mentioned this was on HomeSeer, but I don't think that part really matters - its the lack of mandatory reporting from the dimmers to the hub when they were adjusted via associations that was the central problem.

@bcopeland can you offer any advice for getting switch mirroring using z-wave association working with ZEN27s? I can't figure it out using the advanced driver you wrote... is it still valid?

I have a few ZEN27 switches configured with associations to fix some rather confusing wiring in my house. I wanted to move switches to more logical locations without tearing up drywall :slight_smile:

I wanted to do this without relying on some hub-based automation that I'd be tempted to "fix" until it was broken again. zwave direct associations are indeed quick! I've only had issues when a problematic device is in the mesh (like a ZEN27 that just got a firmware update but hasn't been rejoined yet)

Clearest example: lights for the fireplace wall and the dining room table are now swapped. The physical switch that controls the dining table light is labeled as such in Hubitat. It just happens to be located on a different wall. Zwave commands and the log entries make sense this way.

Config common on both switches:

• ZEN27 dimmers, with firmware 2.08
  • physical control disabled
  • zwave control enabled
  • zwave ramp rate matches physical (important!)
  • association reports on physical control only.

dining table light is associated with zwave id for fireplace light for groups 2 and 3. It's also configured with the specific min/max settings for the fixture it controls. Fireplace light is (i think) defaults except for the associations, which have the zwave id for the dining table light set, again for groups 2 and 3.

Features like going to full brightness or nightlight mode work as expected via the associations when using two of the same Zooz switches. It's hard to tell that i'm controlling these dimmers by another dimmer. I've had less-than-great results when mixing an Inovelli switch with a Zooz ZEN24 dimmer via associations, but that's for a different thread. Only thing that is slightly odd is the LED indicator on the switch itself. It toggles both when controlled by zwave or the physical paddle interacts with it, so the LED indicator doesn't really indicate anything.

Now when I'm sitting down for dinner, I can hit the switch that's actually next to the dining room table to turn on the dining table light! And when I'm controlling the 3 sets of ceiling lights (of which the fireplace light is the first pair), their switches are all next to each other!

Fancy automations for setting scenes are fine and all, but for me, getting the physical controls right has proven to be way more important.

Next up on my list is to start some fancy scene control automation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed info, @gmason! Unfortunately I think the advanced driver (v 1.4) needs a little TLC. With my combination of HE software (2.2.4.145) and ZEN27 firmware (3.0) the driver is not issuing commands of any kind to the switch, at least not that I can tell...

Edit: just saw your post re: S2 vs no security with the advanced driver

Everything I have is S2-connected. Perhaps that's the issue...

2 Likes

The ZEN27 drivers at least have some pretty decent controls for what to report, when. This post had me wondering, so I just ran up and down the stairs a couple times to verify.

I just confirmed that with my above config, when I'm standing at the dining table switch and hit the paddle, the fireplace light changes get reported to the hub, but as expected and desired, nothing is reported for the dining table light. Couple quirks I just found:

• Custom brightness level on will impact the switches that are controlled by the physical paddle. It doesn't control the local switch, as the parameter doesn't do anything for zwave-based control.
  • What is reported to the hub gets a bit confusing unless you set Report Type Physical Disabled to the second option. in other words, physical paddle changes don't get reported to the hub, and the LED doesn't change. The hub then only gets updates that are set via zwave control, including associations.

Keeping these things in mind, I'm really quite pleased with the ZEN27.

I'm on a C-7 hub, running the latest platform version. My ZEN27 switches are paired with no security though, since the first batch of them were installed when S2 paring was still a bit problematic.

I'm using version 1.4 of the driver as well.

Have you just updated the firmware of the switch? When I finished updating the switch, it ended up being totally unresponsive. My fix after a successful update was:

1. full manual reset of the switch (10 tap up and hold 10 secs)
  2. Wait for the device to go to a failed state. I think I accelerated this by attempting to send a bunch of zwave commands to it from the Hubitat webui (From my phone, i just smashed the on/off/refresh/config buttons like I was playing Super Smash Bros for a second or two).
  3. Once failed, use the "replace" button on the zwave details page, then start inclusion on the switch. I had to click the paddle up and down about every second, as the Zooz documentation says you might have to.

Obviously, having to reset, wait for the device to fail, then do the replacement dance is a bit suboptimal, but at least I figured it out. It can be quite the time suck though, so I don't plan on upgrading from 2.08 right away :slight_smile:

Note: if this was a C-5, I think you would be able to reset the device, then simply include it like normal, then edit the zwave device ID in the database. On hubitat platform 2.2.3 on the C-7, I had bad luck doing that, so I've continued using the above dance because at least I know it works.

My ZEN27s are out-of-the-box with 3.0 firmware... never updated these. I have updated my ZEN30s, so I'm familiar with the wrinkle involving a full factory reset after update. I use a z-stick and the PC Controller software for my updates, which works well (I've used it on my Inovelli LZW36, also).

I suspect it's an S2 problem. Looking at the device fingerprint specified in the advanced driver code, it's nothing close to what's listed in the device details. Even the manufacturer ID is different for some reason.

Edit: duh. The mfr ID difference is as simple as converting base-10 to hex. Should've realized that...

Ah, that's most likely the culprit. I was in the same boat. I had to exclude everything that was S2, and at the time I had to kick off a network-wide inclusion via a zwave stick. It was clunky, but eventually it worked. This is also how I found out that you can't use the trick where you update a hubitat device's zwave network ID to avoid having to delete and recreate the device, and all the associated configuration with other automations/apps/etc. On a positive note, with platform 2.2.4, inclusion without security for the ZEN27 works like a charm.

For switches that aren't also going to be associated with a lock or something, I'm not joining them with S2. So far, all my Zooz switches/dimmers are joined without security. I've got a couple Inovelli switches are are joined with S2, and those don't seem to have any problems. The Zooz switches/dimmers are a bit cheaper, and I find the config is more straightforward, I use them whenever I don't need anything too fancy.

You're the man @gmason! I excluded both switches and re-included with no security, and now things work perfectly. The only change I made compared to your settings was to leave physical control enabled, and now both switches mirror each other. Managed to create a ghost node during the exclusion/re-inclusion process, so my next project is obvious...

Edit: discovered that an exact mirror is a bad idea... they seem to want to run in an endless loop passing "on" commands back and forth. The spam was seriously hurting my z-wave mesh. Rolled back to the old config. I'll make do with hub-based mirroring techniques

1 Like

Just catching up on my reading and I see you have it mostly worked out.

Yes S2 and this driver don’t mix.

I recommend updating to the latest FW. I did all my Zooz zen21/22/26/27 a few weeks ago because having different FW versions all over the place was driving me nuts.

I am only using associations on a pair of zen26s but the association report selection is very important for even the association is followed - physical(which paddle presses) / zwave when you have enabled scene control.

Re: the dance after a reset. If the switch is powered an the hub can ping it, it won’t tag it as failed. Killing power to the switch will make this go easier but I highly recommend the zwave USB stick.

I have a ZEN27 switch that was included w/ S2 rather than without security, so I can't use this driver. Is it possible to re-adopt it without security (and update the firmware to the latest while I'm at it) without having to set up the various automations again? I've seen @gmason's "replacement dance" above but not sure if that applies to what I'm talking about (i.e. going from S2 to no security).

Apologies if this thread isn't the right place to ask, but the more I read the more confused I become. If I should start a new thread, let me know. Thanks in advance.