[RELEASE] Advanced Zooz Zen27 / Zen26 Central Scene Dimmer and Switch Drivers

I'm using this switch, and having issues while rolling over from ST to my new C7. I have it in a motion lighting scenario, with a ZooZ 4-in-1 sensor. It works fine for a few hours after setup, then stops working, will only work manual and even the buttons in the app won't turn it on/off. I'll have to look into the logs a bit more, since i do have the switch also running some Alexa routines.

@bcopeland which setting in your driver should I be using? I've looked at the raw zooz settings page: ZEN27 S2 Dimmer VER. 3.01 Advanced Settings - Zooz Support Center
I think it would be parameter 9, but I don't see parameters numbers listed in this driver.

I did have the same issue with at least the zen26 and a couple zen22, where these drivers were not working for me, they were reporting status fine but couldnt turn them on/off from the device or dashboard so i went back to the default driver. They work perfectly with the default driver, they report status and I am able to control them from the device page and from the dashboard. i would like to use the personalize drivers because they have way more options if not all but for some reason they didnt work for me in the exact same way than for you.

FWIW I have two Zen27's and am using the copland V1.4 driver. I've had no issues since installing...maybe 6 months ago.

One is within 20' of the hub the other ~26' as the crow flies. Or perhaps better said "as the field propagates".

I'm brand-new to HE (just got it yesterday) and am in the process of moving my devices over from SmartThings. My Zen27 (FW = 2.8) is completely unresponsive when using this driver (v1.4) but works perfectly with the built-in driver. Using "Zooz Central Scene Dimmer" as the type, it responds immediately. If I change the type to "Zooz Zen27 Central Scene Dimmer" and click Configure, the events log says that it was turned on/off, level is xx%, etc. but nothing actually happens. Switch back to the included driver and I'm back in business (but missing all the scene controls, etc.). Any suggestions? Please let me know what additional info is needed. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’ve seen this as well. I have a bunch of ZEN27 dimmers here, one at firmware 2.08, rest at 2.07.

I’m switching everything over to my new c-7 hub, and I somehow managed to include a couple of them as non-S2 devices (don’t ask me how though!). These non-S2 devices worked with this driver just fine, but the S2-connected nodes are only functional with the built-in driver.

Hope this helps some folks.

@agnes.zooz Should I submit a ticket directly to Zooz for this? It's important I get this working and assumed asking here was the right place to start, since it's a community-provided driver. (Why isn't a fully functioning driver included out of the box with Hubitat? The 2.8 firmware with numerous new features has been out since spring, if I'm not mistaken.) Very frustrating and a big step backward from SmartThings as far as this goes. :frowning:

If you're having any issues including or using your switch with Hubitat, definitely send us a message and we'll be happy to guide you through the process. We update the devices quite often since we take all user feedback and suggestions seriously but for these new settings to be available in Hubitat out of the box in the built-in driver, it would require Hubitat developers to add them there. SmartThings doesn't support any advanced settings without a custom handler and all custom handlers run in the cloud while HE allows you to use custom drivers locally which is a great advantage I think :slight_smile:

It'd be a great advantage ... if the custom drivers actually worked. I'll have to create a support ticket. :confused:

Are you pairing the Zooz devices securely? I was able to get the custom drivers to work for devices not paired securely. For devices paired securely I've only been able to use the Hubitat generic Zooz drivers. I'm guessing the customer drivers weren't written to support S2 paired devices.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe that was the option provided when I paired the Zen27. I know nothing about Z-Wave security, nor should I need to. I just want my switches to work.

But thanks for the tip -- sounds like I may have to forget the device, scrap all the automations I've created around it, etc. and start over. :frowning:

That unfortunately is the risk of using community based drivers. If they aren't maintained or if the device changes these no longer are valid. I am not sure if or when these might be updated.

There isn't much of anything Zooz can do about it, and Hubitat support will most likely tell you to use the stock (built-in) driver. And if I am reading it right, the stock driver works. So....

That sounds a bit drastic.

What are you missing by using the stock driver VS this community based one? There may be alternative ways to get this functionality. For example, you might be able to use the Hubitat Basic Zwave Tool to set certain parameters.

I'm only using the community-based driver because that's specifically what Zooz recommends. The included driver has 10 variables in the preferences; the custom driver has 23, including things like much more granular control of auto on/off timers, setting nightlight mode, different ramp rates for physical vs. Z-Wave and so on. It's not that I necessarily need to set all 23 today, but given that I bought the HE largely based on Zooz's apparent enthusiasm and support for it, it seems like I should be able to directly access all of the features of the switch. The stock driver works, but it's kinda like buying a sports car that can't get past third gear -- technically functional but hardly performing to expectations and potential.

I'm migrating from SmartThings and learning as I go, hardly a complete idiot but neither am I a seasoned coder. HE seemed like a great way to do that, so I'm frustrated that I've hit this stumbling block right out of the gate -- using the driver recommended by Zooz -- and have fewer capabilities for the switch now than I had with SmartThings (which also required a custom driver, but that one actually worked). I expected a learning curve and to have to put more effort into creating the automations and integrations -- that was a given that I welcomed -- but needing to use "alternative ways to get this functionality" when using the Zooz-recommended driver is an unwelcome surprise. I don't think my expectations were unreasonable.

Maybe zooz , @agnes.zooz, should remove their mentioned to this driver and any other community driver until they know for sure that they are able to work correctly with S2 authentication or at least mentioned that it won't work if you pair your switches like this, which i think it is the only way to include them in the new HE C7. This may help to avoid this kind of issues.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion. These are all recent changes and we weren't aware of the issues described by @brossow. We'll be testing the drivers and will either remove them from the documentation or add more disclaimers as you suggested.

2 Likes

I am trying this driver to mimic functionality I had on the SmartThings hub (moving over to HE now)...

I have a Zooz Zen27 switch that I had in an association group with a Zooz Zen23 toggle light switch, so that when I turn on/off the Zen 27, the 23 would parrot it. In my new setup, I *think the 27 has a hex ID of 1D, and the 23 has a hex ID of 1E (seeing these listed in the device list under "DNI" column).

So, I have tried setting the Group 2 Association to 1E (no joy), 0x1E (no joy), and lower case versions of the above, but it is not controlling the 23 when I turn on/off the 27. Am I getting something wrong? I am using the default zooz driver for the 23.

Thanks for any help - I appreciate it!

-randy

1 Like

Were both switches added as S2 Unauthenticated devices? Z-Wave devices need to be on the same security level to work in direct association.

1 Like

yes - they are both listed as S2 Unauthenticated. Do I have it right that the Hex ID is the value from the "DNI" column? And should the entry be just 1E, or Ox1E if so?

Is it possible to use this driver and association grouping to bind two ZEN27 switches together? I'm looking for a tight binding: any command on one switch is replicated on the other, and vice versa.

I've tried putting both node IDs, comma separated, into the association lines of the preferences section on both switches, but they won't act in concert. Running HE 2.2.4.145, switches are Zen27s on firmware 3.0.

Edit: doesn't seem like this driver works at all with 2.2.4... no response from the switches when I try to toggle the on/off state or change dimmer level using this driver

Have you tried using the "Mirror" built-in app? Perhaps Mirror A to B, then also do a Mirror of B to A. Or, similarly, do the same using Rule Machine.