[RELEASE] Advanced vThermostat - Virtual Thermostat HVAC control

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this? The name on the tile is the same as the driver name when the vThermostat child was created (it will not rename the driver if you rename the child app at the moment).

If you create a new child and give it a custom name (at the top), this name will be displayed on the dashboard tile.

I have just made the move from Smartthings to Hubitat, So please bear with me.

I had a virtual thermostat set up on my smartthings app going through to HomeKit which has been working really well, now just trying the advanced vThermostat, and I’m getting some quite odd behaviour from HomeKit. If I set to heat and put it up to let’s say 23°, The heater comes on, but then when I go to cool, The heater will switch off, but my fans will not switch on? I set the cooling and heating set point with at least 3° difference, but I’m just completely lost. Can Anyone help a complete novice at this. Thank you.

For the moment I have gone back to Smartthings just for the Thermostat, but would love to ditch STs.

How do you have fan mode set on the virtual thermostat?

Hi, not sure I even saw a fan mode? I just set it up as the instructions at the to of this post, changed the Cooling Setpoint to 22 and the heating Setpoint to 18, select one sensor and a heater and a fan. then added as a Thermostat in Homebridge v2 in habitat, that was it, almost worked.

Where is fan mode, and what is it?

Thank you for your help!! (desperate to get away from ST)

Fan mode indicates whether the fan should run or not when the system is neither heating nor cooling. If fan mode is set to on, then the fan runs all of the time. If fan mode is set to auto, then the fan runs only during heating and cooling calls.

If you have your virtual thermostat on a dashboard, there is a button for setting fan mode next to the button for setting mode. On the device page, fan mode can be set by pressing the "Fan Auto" button or the "Fan On" button.

1 Like

Thank you for you help, I will give it a go! :smiley:

I just tried it on my vThermostat and discovered that vThermostat doesn't appear to implement fan mode.

I have just tried it too, and get the same results, no fan?

Cheers.

The original code did not implement it but it's something I would like to implement in the future but have no idea how the fan mode works on a real thermostat. I anyone can give me the logic on how it should work and would be ready to work with me to test it, I would implement it for sure.

But I have to tell you, right now I am kind of over my head in different projects (home, work, etc.) and don't have much time to give to the project right now. So unless it is very easy, I don't think I could get around to it for a few weeks.

Here's the logic:
When calling for heating or cooling, fan mode makes no difference at all.
When not calling for heating or cooling,
if fan mode is "auto", operating state should be "idle",
if fan mode is "on", operating state should be "fan only".

Apparently, some thermostats also have a "circulate" setting for fan mode. I have no idea what that does.

I would be happy to test if you implement something.

2 Likes

Looks simple enough, I'll try to whip something up this weekend before sleep time!

1 Like

I will happily test too! Can’t seam to get hubitat to do a lot at the moment, lights coming on randomly too, so back to ST for me! :thinking:

1 Like

Got my lights working, just need the thermostat now and I’ll say goodbye to Samsung! :grinning::+1::+1:

ok, I'll try and get a first version of it soon, then add options (like one smart plug when heating and another one for cooling etc.)

2 Likes

Looking forward to it. Have you been able to track down the "Google bug" as well ?

1 Like

I can control the thermostat from the test I did via the Google Home app on IOS, but I can't set the range, so basically in normal ranges it does work, so the next version out will be a working version for most people.

2 Likes

Thank you @nclark That would be great, looking forward to trying this out!! :smiley:

Hi @nclark just wondering if there was any movement on this? Not chasing but so want to dump my ST setup! And thanks for all you work!

@adam.mjbarnes I did have time to put in the basic code but not yet functional, I will try to get a bit of time on this later this weekend or early next week. I've just been over working these last weeks and the wife that is pressing me to get the boat ready and in the water ASAP, sorry for the delays,

1 Like

@reid.a.baldwin ok, I worked a bit on the logic and reading this is confusing me a bit.

When calling for heat or cool, I should be turning a fan outlet (or whatever control the fan is plugged in). This is true for any situation.

When not heating or cooling (idle state) and fanMode in "auto", the fan turns off.

If the fanMode is in "on", the fan is on and stays on in any operating state. BUT, should it go off if operating state is Off?