[Release] [500 Error Self-Healing] Rootin' Tootin' Self-Rebootin' (0.96)

You’ll have to edit lines 41-46 in the app code itself. If we try to save your username/password/ip in the settings, the reliability of rebooting gets lost and it’ll often fail.

Sorry about that I just forgot about that part. Thanks

1 Like

My hub locks up almost daily now :cry: :sob:

I was hoping this app would detect the slow down and reboot it, but it is not doing so. Is there a setting I need to change?

Once the hub is manually rebooted it seems fine, but I usually find this out when something does not work right.

EDIT: I don't have any security enable on the hub, and get no errors in the logs (once it locks up/ manual reboot, I don't have logs)

How often do you have it checking? You could try increasing the frequency. You could also turn up the verbosity of the logging for a while in RTSR.

Also, it detects slowdowns. If something is taking your hub down immediately (all at once) it won't slowdown. It will just be... down. So, there is a chance there wouldn't be an opportunity for RTSR to run and detect anything if the slowdown was really just a stop.

1 Like

Was at 60 seconds made it 20. :crossed_fingers:

Anyway to tell if it was a slow down, or "stop" ?

Not really. Only if the thing that crashed or stopped the hub had logging of its own. You can turn on logging on everything you can for a while to see if you can detect the last thing that logged and that might be the offender.

If it doesn't help you detect you get into the scenario where you have to do some disabling of apps and/or devices and make sure you're stable. Then you re-enable them one by one until you find the offender.

Thanks for the good responses, @codahq :slight_smile:

@TechMedX:
Are you using a C-4 hub, or a C-5 hub?

It is a C-4. (don't want to upset @discobot) :laughing:

EDIT: oops sorry to invoke, in the thread.

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

Huh. I didn't even know discobot was around :laughing:

You might not like this answer, but you should consider switching to a C-5. Since doing that, my environments have become a lot more stable. You can use an OTG cable to keep using the Z-Stick with a C-5, so migration is really simple. Just back up, restore, plug the stick in, and reboot.

If C-5 is a better unit I will in a minute. I have heard + and - .

Also heard C7 is coming?? (not sure what happened to poor old C6)

Thoughts?

EDIT: I guess if I can move the stick back and forth I could try for myself which works better. Does the restore work both ways?

Yes, the restore will work both ways. The C-5 is great. :slight_smile: Once we know more about the C-7 I'll be able to recommend one ... but I think you'll be just fine with a C-5. I think the rumors surrounding the C-7 were in regards to the Z-Wave chips only, so you would have to do a total migration to get all of the features there, anyways...

1 Like

Have you stuck with the C-4 stick or migrated to the internal? Is there any pros to doing so? (just ordered C-5)

I stuck with the C-4’s stick. Make sure to order an OTG cable, too. It will let you plug in the usb stick into the C-5.

My reasoning to do it this way is that I like the portability, and I can move the stick further away from my IT rack at home:

I do not mean to derail the thread so feel free to tell me to pound sand.

However I am interested in the approach.

I also have a large metal cage rack. I figured inside was not the best location for the hub (I have 3 zooz multi zone controllers for landscape lighting just outside the rack for zwave repeating). I moved the hub outside the rack trying improve a Schlage lock, but would rather have everything inside on the UPSs

Do you have a long OTG cable, put the hub in the rack, and then have the stick else where? Could you elaborate on the setup?

I use a generic OTG cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCPWYQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_czca26Wbt7iok

And a USB extension cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TH7GUU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In our office, I actually use a different USB extension cable, it’s a Logitech one, and it docks the Nortek stick at 45°. I like how that one looks on top of our server rack, but at home, a normal cable works best, and I just use velcro to hold it in place further from my gear (I don’t have an actual rack at home, my gear is just mounted in our utility room)

1 Like

Good thought I have one of these, and can mount it to the top of my rack (home based backup/redundancy for our family business, coming in handy this year!).

I'll order the OTG today. Thanks for the input!

1 Like

Adam, I'm just curious, what happened to the early version of this solution that used two hubs?

I'm finding that occasionally, my hub that has had lockup issues stops functioning, it doesn't end up self-rebooting, but can still be reached through port 8081.

I'm wondering if I can do anything with a 2nd hub I recently started using. Even a notification from the functional hub when the other isn't responding would probably be useful (assuming there's no way to automate the diagnostic menu reboot, since it requires entering hub MAC address).

It actually ran in Rule Machine :slight_smile:

You can find that method here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.