Relay or Switch for christmas outlets with heat tape

I've got a 20A circuit that runs to Christmas outlets under my eaves and is controlled with a single switch inside. I've got heat tape for my gutters plugged into the outlets so right now it is just resistive load. Similar to 2022 - 20amp outlet switch I'm looking to replace the existing switch with something. I'm hoping something better has come out in the last year that I can just put in with or to replace the existing switch. A zen17 won't pass the Wife test and I'm not enthusiastic about a separate USB powered item next to my front door myself.

Would I be a fool to try a zen51? It says it supports up to 10amp of resistive load and this may get above it periodically if it gets cold enough.
Any suggestions?

Are you trying to automate the Christmas lights only? An in-line outdoor outlet on the lights only would fit that bill. I'm assuming the heaters have they're own built-in thermostat, so leaving the power on to them all the time isn't an issue?

The Zen15 is the only appliance rated/heavy duty outlet I am aware of, and it isn't meant for outdoor use nor for 20A circuits. The Zen51 very likely cannot stand that load, and especially for continuous use.

I get the WAF, but when it comes to the house raining water inside due to an ice dam, or an "ugly" outlet/switch, I know what I am choosing.

It is a single circuit with 3 outdoor outlets under the eaves into which the heaters are plugged. There is a single switch in my house for them and the circuit is on a GFEP breaker.
Right now I have to turn it all on or off manually. In the back I have a Jasco Enbrighten 40amp for a pump, but the WAF is not there for cutting into the porch :slight_smile:

I still don't understand what you want to control. The heaters or the lights or both? There's this Legrand 20amp outlet which is HomeKit compatible. If you're insistent on Z-Wave, then a relay like the Zen16 is a possible option if you've got somewhere to put it.

You could also just pop one of these Thirdreality devices (it's made by them, just a rebrand for Amazon) over the switch.

A smart breaker might be an option if your panel supports it, but I've never seen anything but WiFi for those.

I want to control the heaters but they are plugged into the light outlets (no lights are plugged in). I've obviously muddied the waters.

So at the moment, I've got a GFEP breaker on a 20A circuit with a light switch turning on and off the heaters. Theoretically I could us the Legrand outlets and just remove the switch I guess, but besides being costly would leave me with no easy physical way to turn them off; unless I put in some sort of "use only in case of emergency" switch.

Wifi is OK, if that opens up some better options.

Sounds like in the short term should either try that Thirdreality suggestion or I should just wait and see if anything better for my usecase comes out.

Thanks!

1 Like