Relay for immersion heater?

Any suggestions? I need a HE-compatible >15A relay with power monitoring, for my immersion heater. The monitoring is actually more important than the switching, which could be done just as well by a dumb time-switch.

Closest I have found so far is the Frient Smart Cable, but I see elsewhere that Frient devices are not reliably compatible with HE.

Edit: I should have said this is for UK 240V supply.

Where are you located? In North America, I would recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Security-controller-electricity-consumption/dp/B00MBIRF5W

1 Like

Sonoff POWR3 ? Includes scheduling too.

Although I do have mine in Hubitat (via MQTT) would have to check if the existing drivers support it directly

1 Like

Shelly 1 PM works up to 16 amps... they have other power monitoring devices that don't switch but will control a relay.

1 Like

This one has been running my pool pump for a few years and I have no complaints.

1 Like

I have used Aeon Labs (Aeotec ) DSC06106-ZWUS Zwave dongles rated at 15 amps with power reporting, and had good luck also with Iris V1 SPG800 Zigbee Plugin Outlets rated at 15 amps (resistive). Both have been very reliable for me. They are out of production but sometimes show up on Ebay.

2 Likes

Can you give me some pointers on MQTT setup? Will the Powr3 talk direct to an MQTT broker? And how does that then talk to Hubitat?

Mine is a roundabout way via Home Assistant and then to MQTT where I can import it quite easily to Hubitat. Not a path to consider really, it just suits my system. Sonoff can't use MQTT directly but I believe the POWR3 could be flashed with Tasmota to achieve that if you wanted.

I haven't looked up the Sonoff integrations for Hubitat as to whether they support the POWR3 - it's relatively new. I seem to remember there are some Sonoff drivers but not sure if they access the EweLink cloud or the device locally (DIY2 rest protocol which this device supports). Anyone know ?

This is Sonoff Connect which I think does not require flashing the unit with Tasmota

If it's easy to setup and test I can do that for you with my POWR3.

Very pleased with the POWR3 - reasonably priced and tidy although a little bulky. WiFi of course bso you need coverage where you will be mounting it .Using it on my immersion heater too.

Screenshots from HA:

Ignore Todays Consumption - I just messed it up

2 Likes

Shelly 1PM. Fullu compatible with HE and other hubs, can be controlled directly (web service in relay itself/ shelly app) and costs nothing.

2 Likes

Thanks @Igor. I have put one on order.

Wow @Kevin, above my level for now but I'll work towards it! Thanks for the insight.