Recommended Zigbee button

What is the recommended Zigbee button these days? I have an old Samsung button that works well and would like something that is as reliable. With Third Reality, Moes, Tuya, Sonoff, etc. there are many contenders.

My #1 priorities are reliability and battery life. I don't need scene control but wouldn't count out any devices that include that functionality.

Thanks

I have had good luck with Hue buttons.
Hue Button

2 Likes

For only 1 button (3 actions,) I can't recommend the Sonoff SNZB-01P enough. It has only been in use for 6 months, but the battery reads 100% (I understand that's not very authoritative,) it has never to my knowledge missed a command or dropped off the network. For what it is, and the battery within it (which I consider a plus,) I like the compact size. Price is at least reasonable, but becomes really good if you can put a 'bulk' order together and ship from China. (I also recommend the SNZB-02P temp & humidity sensors in that device class.)

The only nit is that it is difficult to pair completely. IIRC, it took 4-6 attempts. Once it finally paired correctly, as I mentioned, I haven't had any trouble with it.

1 Like

:point_up: My go-to for quality (and Released signal).
Also like the old Sonoff but sometimes get bounce.
And then there's the new IKEA options (and, and, and).

1 Like

I like these they seem to work well, batt life sofar has been very good :).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099KDS3W9

Thanks for the suggestions. For the price I'm going to try the Sonoff this time around.

The Hue looks good but I've had mixed results with their motion sensors. I need to revisit them as I'm rebuilding my setup.

I like the four button pad but it is a bit big this time around. If I find a need for multiple buttons like that I'll have to pick one up and run it through a pass on the laser to engrave the buttons. I just need to find a need for it. :wink:

The Ikea buttons are just ugly. :smiley:

Funny how easy you ignored your #1 priorities and dismissed the Ikea buttons for being ugly :rofl:

4 Likes

EDIT - I think you might be looking at the newer SNZB-01P. Don't know if those behave differently.

I have several SNZB-01 and they work great for me. Just be aware that they are extremely quiet and never report battery level (you shouldn't care; they are so quiet, the CR2450 should last "forever"). They only communicate with the hub when pressed and when pairing. I have one that can go over a month between presses and doesn't send a single message out. They don't drop from the mesh, but if you change Zigbee channels or remove its repeater, you'll likely have to re-pair.

1 Like

I also said I wanted a reliable, economical car.

Then I bought an Alfa.

We are humans, not robots, dammit! :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

If it can be Zwave, I have really liked these Minoston remotes. They have lots of buttons and claim a 2 year battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BQKD5FQ

Zooz sells something very similar. It is more expensive, though it has a rechargeable battery.

Found this too ..
Kinda like these .. may have to try one or two.
Seems small enough and has a-b-c-d on the buttons < Wife Approved LOL

Wireless Smart 4-Switch Button,

1 Like

This seems like important info for you to consider before purchasing - from one review:

The critical review/s are wrong. ONLY meant to work with TUYA/Smart LIFE with their zigbee hub/gateway. NOT meant to work with Smart THINGS or Alexa,etc.

Unless @kkossev has any info on them, I would not order them.

It’s my button and I’ll cry if I want to.

Actually, the listed options were all recommended as reliable. Except for the Sonoff all of them are what I would consider midrange price point for Zigbee devices. So ugly is a valid metric and I picked on price. :wink:

I’m not married so I have to create my own WAF. By my front door I have two triple gang light switches. I originally had a Wink Relay and three GE switches. I replaced the Relay with three Inovelli Red switches. They were close but didn’t quite match. When the Blue Series came out I wanted a couple of Zigbee repeaters at that location. The Blue switch’s LED is a redesign that doesn’t match the older switches so now I’m replacing all six switches Blue and one of the redesigned Reds (Z-Wave repeater) so they all match. :joy:

It may be petty but it keeps me happy. At least the old switches can be repurposed in other locations.

Like the Lutron Pico remotes. I’ve had some of those for four years and never once thought about the batteries. I don’t even know what style they take.

That’s funny because I don’t like the labels. If I went for one of the four button remotes I would opt for one that has plain buttons. That way I could engrave my own labels. Of course that might be a problem if I ever decided to change the functions. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Which ones are you referring to?

Edit: Oh, I see you were referring to a comment about the four way button.

Yes...doesn't look good for using that device on HE unless Kkossev has done some of his magic to support it. You could/should search for "tuya buttons" or similar on this forum to see if it already has been discussed...

Luckily I’m not looking for a multi button at this time.

I’ve been using the Pico two button remotes. I don’t like the five button Picos. Recently I tried a new Pico rocker and I’ll replace some of the two button ones so they look similar to the other switches.

My bathroom is a good example. It has a single gang box that had a switch and single outlet. I replaced it with a duplex outlet and used a double gang faceplate to hold a Pico. Now it looks much more conventional. The rocker style Pico will be even better.

And I’m off into the weeds again…

1 Like

Maybe too late, but for a single button option, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Third Reality ones. I have one in my living room that sees daily use. I changed the batteries about 6 months ago (early October) due to an incident with a mischievous dog. It's currently showing 74.5%.

And they come in a rainbow of colors! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have one of those seems to work ok :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was looking at those as well when I made the original post. I'm not really thrilled with the form factor but that is just a minor issue. That is one thing I liked about the Samsung button - I could just slap it and not worry about finding the button itself since the whole case activated the switch.

The Sonoff isn't exactly the same - it has an inset button but it was less than half the cost of the Third Reality. I also have mixed feeling about the Third Reality products as some of them can be a bit chatty. (Not that a button would be chatty.) I thought I would try something else.