Recommended Presence sensor

Yup - that's the one.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Notifications-Compatible-SmartThings-Batteries/dp/B08R9PS2KG/

1 Like

Thanks @aaiyar
Can you please explain what do you mean when you say "terminals for wires"?
This seems like a wireless sensor.

In the case of that leak sensor, when water touches it, it sends a signal to Hubitat, using zigbee.

Or it has two screw terminals on it that you can connect to something like the pressure mat I linked to above. When someone sits on the mat, a pressure-sensitive switch closes and completes a circuit that’s now wired into the leak sensor.

The sensor then sends the same “leak” event to Hubitat, with zigbee.

2 Likes

It’s probably somewhat more common for people to use a contact sensor for this use case. There are even custom drivers that have been modified to send present/not present events when the sensor itself is technically reporting open/closed. But AFAIK the only options for that are z-wave devices.

I would think the zigbee leak sensor could work with a similarly modified driver, but I don’t know if one exists.

1 Like

What @marktheknife said.

Here's an "instructables" that explains it ....

1 Like

... and turns on 12odb siren ...

3 Likes

If that’s the case, that would certainly be an issue with that device. Not all leak sensors also have audible alerts.

1 Like

True.

Didn't think about that!

As I read through this thread I'm amazed at all of the first world problems we use HE to solve.

3 Likes

Just a bored guy trying to find a new hobby :smile:

1 Like

So the leak sensor is a no no?

Well you've found it. Next step is to create problems so you'll use that smart home to solve it. Been there done that.

2 Likes

Well, you can use a different leak sensor that doesn't have a siren, or use the Ecolink contact sensor. If you use a different leak sensor, you can simply solder on wires to the terminals ....

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing! It's like you're reading my mind...

I would need to know which one to buy. Hopefully, someone will read this thread and send me to a better leak sensor solution.

what are the disadvantages of using a z wave device such as the Ecolink contact sensor? will I need a z wave repeater in the bedroom for this to work?

This one has screw terminals and doesn't have siren

1 Like

Well, that was fast :slight_smile: Thanks!

There is no any disadvantage. Just different shape and communication link.
But there is an advantage - unlike leak sensor it will not trigger if you touch
terminals or humidity is to high.

so it sounds like I need to use this Ecolink contact sensor. The Aqara contact sensor will not work, right?

Both will do the job.
However leak sensors could be sensitive to elevated humidity/moisture.
All depend on yours environment.

1 Like