Recommended driver for Graber Somfy zwave Blinds?

Another set of errors. Any thoughts?

Just got back. I am using the generic Z-Wave shade. Note mine are shades, not blinds, big difference in controls.

Mine are shares (Roller) as well.

The problems I seem to be getting appear to only happen when I try to automate control of multiple shades at once. I.e. close all, open all.

When I do so, some blinds don't react and some seem to move for a little bit then stop.

The seem to work fine if I control individually. Just running a rule 'Shade Open' causes issues.

Any thoughts?

@Eric.C.Miller I'm still having issues. I'm using the generic zwave driver but still experience issues where the Blinds partially respond and then stop when automating multiple blinds at the same time.

Controlling the Blinds directly from their physical remotes work great, even in groups. It really feels like a hubitat or driver issue.

I've reached out to support a couple of times but no response. Is there anyone who can help debug this issue please? I really want to be able to automate open and close of these blinds and have a huge investment in the through my house so any help would be appreciated.

How about changing the driver to generic z-wave dimmer and try to command multiple roller shades with dimming instead of shade open/close. Do they have the same issue? I have 2 shades out of 10 that have these weird issues you described and they have nothing that do with the the driver. These 2 roller shades have firmware issue. The 8 working shades are from zebrablinds.com and work perfectly fine.

1 Like

The way I have mine set up, the command that I send when I push the button (on the Pico remote) is a either a Raise Shades (open), Lower Shades (close), or Position Shades with a value that represents the percentage. Using that kind of command, I would think the shade would either receive it or not. If it receives it, I would think it would then be up to the shade to properly execute it without further input. Of course we have no way of knowing how similar my shades are to yours . . .

As I recall, before I unassociated the remote that came with the shades (the two-button Graber), it acted totally differently - it was like a wired remote - as long as you held the UP button the shade would move up. As I mentioned to you in the earlier post, I was not able to pair the shade with the hub until I unassociated the original two-button remote from the shade.

I tried all the suggestions, but no luck.

I reached out to Zebra blinds and let them know my issue. They requested some logs that showed the firmware version (11.2). After researching how to get the firmware version using the Zwave Basic Tool I sent them along.

They confirmed this morning that I may be on a firmware version that has Zwave group messaging issues that might be causing this. They requested I purchase the HomeSeer Zwave OTA firmware update kit and will send me an updated firmware to try out. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I will be interested to hear. Best of luck!

A little update....

After engaging with ZebraBlinds.com support they informed me I was on an older firmware version for my blinds (v11.2) and there were some improvements to Z-Wave group messaging in their 11.3 version.

I was able to confirm I was on firmware V11.2 using the basic Z-wave Tool.

Zebrablinds recommended I get the Homeseer zwave flashing tool and then provided updated firmware. The upgrade process went seamlessly and all my blinds are now on the new firmware.

After the firmware my issues have been resolved. I'm using the generic Zwave shade driver and all blinds are responding to automation and grouping. Very happy after months of frustration.

2 Likes

Glad you got all the blinds working now. Nice to hear

I wish I'd seen this earlier. @bcopeland has written a z-wave firmware updater tool for Hubitat. And several of us have used it successfully to update multiple z-wave devices.

1 Like

Bummer...I guess I'm done $50 for the kit...but happy to get the Blinds working....that's priceless. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@darron the errors are due to a parsing error in the Zwave shade driver. The pointer to trim the payload value for "hexVal" in the String description is off by 21 characters and is grabbing the "t:" from the last part of "isMultiCast:" The code should be something like:

def hexVal = description.trim()[-29..-28]
def movingHex = description.trim()[-23..-22]

Thanks @chad.greeno. that solved the error in the log.

Hello, apologies for resurrecting a thread, but I read something in here that I'm interested in finding out more about. @darron, you had mentioned that you were using your shades in groups.

I was just wondering what advantage this brings you? I also use Zebra Blinds (just set them up), and have a few automatons plugged into them.

Are the groups just for ease of programming, or are their other benefits?

Thanks,

yeah, mostly groups for convenience....but I think i landed on separate blinds into my automation.

1 Like

Well, I don’t have the Graber, but I have 6 Somfy Glydea drapes. Two are in the bedroom on the windows, in a group.

Here are the pros and cons I discovered.

Pros: having them in a group avoids “popcorn effect”, and they move in unison. Automations are easier, just open/close/MyPosition for the bedroom.

Cons: none, really, except for a “feature”, having to do with how Somfy implements the “My Position” feature. The “My Position” command is the same as the Stop command. If the Stop command is sent while the drapes are moving, the drapes stop (whether for the group, if both are moving, or a single drape, if only one is moving). If the Stop (i.e., My Position) command is sent while the drapes are stopped, the drapes move to the preset “My Favorite Position”. The difficulty occurs if an external grouping is done, as in Alexa. If you create an Alexa Group of, for example, Office Drapes, Dining Room Drapes, etc., and include the individual Left and Right Bedroom Drapes and also the group Bedroom Drapes, then, if you tell Alexa to move all the drapes to My Position, then, the command is sent to the individual drapes in the group and then to the group. The first command starts motion to the preset favorite position, then the second command stops motion.

Our solution is to have a Telis 5 channel remote hanging on the wall behind the drapes, with one channel for the left window’s drapes and a second channel for the right window’s drapes. That way, if we ever wanted to control each window individually, we could. Everything else just operates the group to move both in unison. Interestingly, we have never controlled them individually except for initial testing.

The reason we don’t have separate wall controls for the group and for each separate drape is that the Decoflex wall controls only control 5 items, so we have one button for the bedroom drapes group and the other 4 buttons control the other 4 Glydea drapes in the house. Each room has the same 5 button Decoflex control

That’s how/why we did it.

1 Like

I just looked...it doesn't appear that I can actually add a group of shades (created through groups and scenes) to a Rule Machine automation. Only shades individually.

I do experience non synchronized shades in this config. I.e. one starts before the others.

I was talking about Somfy groups, sorry that wasn’t clear.

Hi - sorry for the necro post, but I've got some Somfy roller shades that are exhibiting this exact same behavior and they're on firmware version 11.02. I didn't purchase them from Zebrablinds so I can't really contact their support.

Would you be willing to share the 11.03 firmware files with the community? Thanks!