Recommendations for Zigbee RGBW A19 bulb that is a repeater

I have a post light in the front yard that has a Zigbee Osram Lightify A19 RGBW bulb. It has been working fine.

I am planning to add a Zigbee tilt sensor to the mailbox that is about 50 feet from the post light. I seem to remember reading the Osram is not a repeater. The Zigbee routing map app confirms this because the node is violet and nothing branches from it.

What are some recommendations for a RGBW A19 Zigbee bulb that is a repeater?

The only bulbs I'm aware of that aren't are Sengled.

What I am aware of reading about Osram is that they are bad repeaters, failing to pass along messages that they should and causing inconsistent problems on your Zigbee network for other devices. This is possibly only true for early generations (and maybe only one of the three or so names they seemed to use), and it's possible something has changed since then.

Back to your question: I suppose that's actually part of the answer, too. :slight_smile: But to expand, most people have had luck with newer Zigbee 3.0 bulbs like those from Hue, Innr, or (if the device is supported by a driver on the hub) IKEA. Unlike many brands of older devices, there don't seem to be anecdotal reports of problems with these (though I might still recommend avoiding them if possible since I haven't seen anyone look at traffic with a Zigbee sniffer like staff did in the early days with the problematic devices to verify not seeing this behavior for sure...).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will be navigating the IKEA maze once again. I am really happy with the IKEA white bulbs in the house.

Have one coming USPS. Shipping was $10.00 but since I am an IKEA family member, they dropped the shipping to $5.00

No need to fight the crowds now. My wife and I usually get stuck behind some lollygaggers that walk slowly 3 abreast.

3 Likes

Just added support for IKEA bulbs in the [RELEASE] IKEA Zigbee drivers if you want to try it on the new stuff. Bulbs also work with the in-built drivers if you don't need the extra fluff.

1 Like

Apparently my 4 IKEA bulbs are running the latest.

And yes, I was very imaginative naming these bulbs. They were the first bulbs to get added. Rather than naming them living room light 1 or front window light, I stuck with the basics.
Many thanks for your work on this. Makes it easy.