Recommendations for Lutron 2/3-Way Switches?

I've been replacing all of my Leviton Z-wave switches with Lutron, which works much better in terms of reliability and response time. But I have a few lights with 2-way and 3-way switches for which I cannot find an equivalent Lutron smartswitch product. Does anyone know if one exists?

I could leave the existing Leviton 2-way switches, which work, but they just haven't been as good as Lutron and eventually they will go back. If a Lutron equivalent doesn't exist, I'm not sure what else would be a good option. I have a 2-floor house and I've found Z-wave devices in general to be not reliable despite all the efforts to fix the network.

Lutron uses picos to form multiway control. Picos can be mounted at the box and covered to look like a normal switch.

1 Like

The picos are those remote controls, right? So instead of buying a special switch, I would just buy a regular Lutron Smart Switch and one or more Picos to replace the additional switches controlling the same light?

1 Like

When you set up the pico in the Lutron phone App it will allow you to associate the pico with the switches or dimmers (in that room I believe). It behaves just like a multi-way hardwired setup. You should not add that pico to Hubitat

Pretty much. You can buy them in sets:

1. Original style - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Caseta-Smart-Switch-3-Way-Kit-with-Remote-Bracket-for-All-Bulbs-or-Fans-5A-Neutral-Wire-Required-White-P-PKG1WS-WH-P-PKG1WS-WH/314328501

2. Claro style - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Claro-Smart-Rocker-Switch-3-Way-Kit-w-Pico-Paddle-Remote-5-Amp-Neutral-Required-in-White-DVRF-PKG1S-WH-DVRF-PKG1S-WH/326616593?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-RM-RMP-GGL-D27-027_002_WIRING_DEVIC-MB-LUTRON-NA-SMART-NA-NA-MK683072200-NA-BT3-2024-CON-NA-FY23Q1-Q4&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-RM-RMP-GGL-D27-027_002_WIRING_DEVIC-MB-LUTRON-NA-SMART-NA-NA-MK683072200-NA-BT3-2024-CON-NA-FY23Q1-Q4-71700000107109873-58700008286798181-92700075335983930&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADq61Uc7I82V5jtS9vByEOzdpFOg7&gclid=CjwKCAiA8NKtBhBtEiwAq5aX2E0g4NMmMLK2BC60yAwAqVE0YGzQlJMoBuogGCPxxSt1hNG61B5aOhoClBoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Those two are just the switch version. You can also order the dimmers with corresponding pico mounts as well.

1 Like

Looks like there's now a (wired) accessory switch available, but it's only compatible with the new Divas and Claros.

Lutron Claro Smart Accessory Switch, only for use with Diva Smart Dimmer Switch/Claro Smart Switch, White (DVRF-AS-WH) DVRF-AS-WH - The Home Depot

1 Like

The newer rocker-style caseta switches (Claro) and dimmers (Diva) are compatible with regular old 3-way switches OR three newer lutron accessory switches.

So in many cases, you should be able to just replace one switch in a multi-location switch situation. But first, we need to clarify some terms:

You're saying "2-way" and "3-way" switches, but just to make sure we can advise correctly:

If you have 2 switches that both control the same light, that's actually called a 3-way switch. If you have 3 switches controlling that light, that's a 4-way switch. A 2-way switch is... well... Not exactly a thing (or, really any single switch is a 2-way but nobody calls it that).
If this is news to you, I know it's not intuitive, but it's true: 2 switches = 3-way. 3+ switches = 4-way.

The reason that's important is because, in any situation where you have 2 switches right now, you can replace either of them with a claro or diva and the whole circuit will become smart and operate as it always has (except up will always be "on" at the smart side). The other 3-way switch will operate as normal. If however, you were calling 3 switches a 3-way, you will need to go with a claro or diva plus 2+ accessory switches. The accessory switch configuration can actually go up to 10 switches.

The benefits of going with just a single claro where you can and leaving your other conventional switch, are cost and ease.
The benefits of going with accessory switches are operational: up is always on at both/all switches, which is nice and intuitive. Also, if you use a diva dimmer, the accessory switch will turn on to your preset dim level with one press and up to 100% with a second on the accessory switch.

I have a mix of all the above situations in my house--there's benefits to all of them.

Hope that helps!

Ricky

Edit: I had misremembered them having a little light on them. They do not. They're still cool.

1 Like