Recommendations for a wall mounted tablet

Anything's possible, although from this thread it doesn't look like the prospects are good for the foreseeable future :pensive::

Just wondering for the other one you recommended, it's pretty much the same price as the Fire Tablet (I can get a refurb for the same price), so what's the benefit of a no-name brand over Amazon? My fear with the one you recommended is now that I won't be able to easily find a mount and from what folks are saying here I do want to root it.

The whole reason you have to root the android tablet is because it comes from amazon with a custom interface that cant be turned off. Buying the walmart tablet comes with basically stock android, allowing you to bypass all that hassle. You could also buy any samsung tablet, etc.

I would definitely shy away from a Fire tablet, their custom firmware is such a hassle (I have 3). As for a wall mount, if you look at my thread, you can very easily make your own wall mount with a bit of wood work and a frame.

Let me correct an incorrect piece of info I provided above. The current Fire 10 new on Amazon is still the 2019 version, which can have Google Play side-loaded. The Fire 8 is the new 2020 model, which may not have a Google Play side-load option yet.

There is also a Fire 8 Plus model, which has Qi wireless charging that might be useful for feeding power from behind in a wall-mount scenario once the Google Play side-load is confirmed.

Price-wise, I'm shocked that Amazon isn't running a Fire sale (pun intended) for Memorial Day weekend. Normal Fire 10 price is $149, down to $99 on Prime Day and Black Friday, and occasionally down to $109 for Hallmark holidays. I'm on another forum where "stock up and save" posts pop up whenever they are below $149.....

1 Like

I guess I don't understand why that matters. This is what I really keep struggling with. I agree, the Amazon stuff isn't my favorite. But the device will be running Fully Kiosk 24/7/365, so who cares what the Amazon stuff looks like? What hassle is there to bypass? Amazon can leave all their stuff on there because it's not in use.

While I do agree a wooden frame can end up looking very nice, I really want something off the shelf for this. I'm not interested in putting the time in to build out a mount, it's bad enough I have to go and wire up a recessed USB outlet. Sometimes I like to tinker, some times I just like things to "just work." This one falls in that latter camp so I'm looking for something where I can buy a case and go so I'd want something common enough to have wall mounts available. That's why it seems like everyone is recommending the Fire tablets. I'm leaning in the direction unless you can help me understand what hassle I'm in for with all the Amazon garbage they put on there.

2 Likes

I read that for a while they were avoiding reinstating any of the discounts on amazon devices that sometimes pop up, in an effort to decrease impulse buys of non-essential items while they caught up on the huge mess that covid caused in their supply chain.

I’m not sure if they’re still doing that though.

1 Like

Did you say that you already have a Fire 10 in your kitchen and using it as a regular tablet? If so, install Fully and see how it works on that for a few days before you commit to buying another Fire 10. They have a Fire OS .apk package on their web site to side-load, so going through the hoops to install Google Play may not be needed.

https://www.fully-kiosk.com/en/

I've had a Fire 7 running 24/7 on the wall for 4 years now, with the brightness set low. My first Fire 10 (2017 version?) has been on the wall 24/7 for 2 years now, running Fully as a weather station console. Other than the hassle of having to swipe to unlock every few months when Amazon pushes an update and notification icons on the top bar every week ago when they're trying to sell something, it just sits there and runs 24/7...Alexa disabled, camera lens covered with a dot of electrical tape...running Fully with the screen always on.....

Cool a 2017 is what I have if I can just sideload without any pain I'll give it a go!

1 Like

I know this comment is about 7-8 months old, but i was hoping you could answer this quick question. I'm a new Wink refugee, just got my HE today. I believe i've read this entire thread and I was going to pick up the onn tablet from Walmart because i dont want to deal with the Fire rooting issue.

I guess my question is...if I get the onn tablet, is there no need to root it? (is it already rooted or is rooting just not necessary?). Perhaps it's a dumb question, im not an android guy so i'm just learning the terminology. Really all i want to do is to run Fully Kiosk and install gavincampbell's driver and not have the screen ever lock. I'm assuming that's easy to do out of the box?

I don't like Fire tablets because of the restrictions. YMMV. I just buy cheap Chinese tablets from AliExpress, parricularly the Teclast range which is really excellent value for money. Make sure to avoid the really cheap Android​Go devices because they don't run Fully fully. See what I did there? :grinning:

I have a 7th gen HD and its been dog slow since the beginning. Was pointless. Then recently got my hands on one of the newer tablets. Out of the box I loaded fully and again, dog slow. It was useless. So then I hooked it up to the computer and using the XDA tools stripped all amazon apps off and changed the launcher to something different and its night and day difference. Everything ran so much faster.

I agree though. I really can't recommend them. I'm looking for a new tablet and will take a look a the teclast brand and see what's there. Its just hard to know how well it will perform without actually trying it.

Agreed, I just can't be @ssed to mess around with the Amazon Fire tablet nonsense.

What do you use for a mount? The problem with these lesser-known tablets is that there aren't any decent mounts, at least not that I've been able to find. I can't even find a mount for my 1st gen iPad mini, which is collecting dust and would probably make a good dashboard. Seems the only mounts out there are for newer ipads and fire tablets. I'm talking about a real mount with hidden power cord and bezel.

My finger is about to order the 7" fire tablet and mount and hope it still can be rooted. I really don't want to mess with rooting either, but I don't see any other practical choice if I want something that looks decent on the wall.

Yes understood. If you want an off-the-shelf solution then you have to use common tablet types (like Fire or ipad). I'm mounting mine behind brushed metal panels and intend to put a couple of 10.1" tablets behind a smart mirror touch surface (that's a project which will take me a while to sort out). So I'm going the custom route.

Something like this? Front Panel Express Your Expert for Front Panels and Enclosures

I'm going to get a panel from them for another project, but the tablet is going on the wall next to our alarm panel which is white (and about the size of a fire 7), so a white plastic mount will blend in nicely.

I don't have any experience with onn tablets, but that's the direction I would go as well in your shoes. It should work without any issues and without rooting, and if you find that that it doesn't... then return it and try a different one :slight_smile:

You could always just make a wooden frame. I made mine with some oak trim I had laying around. Nice thing about this, is you make it custom to whatever tablet you have or can find. I would definitely make sure that the tablet will run Fully Kiosk Browser, can't beat it for displaying dashboards and automating your dashboard. (When my doorbell is rung, HE sends a command to Fully to turn the tablet on and display my camera feeds).

If you don't want to have it in a fixed position on the wall you can try this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082S9Z1S9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Having an adjustable arm helped with me being tall and my wife a bit shorter (there've many 'discussions' about how high to hang pictures, etc :slight_smile: ). Also, it can be easily moved from the wall to a self-standing unit. My wife will sometimes grab it and use the regular browser to bring up recipes, etc while on the kitchen island.
I also grabbed a 90° USB-C adaptor to keep the cable lower profile.

Yes exactly, laser cut metal with rounded corners. Fix tablet behind and stud the whole thing slightly off the wall. Tuck the power supply etc behind, recessed into the wall. I think this looks much nicer than a clunky plastic or wooden frame. I've decided to fit these around the house rather than light switches (yeah, I know some people think this is nuts but I really don't want the added complexity of switches in my rules). I'm designing a set of dashboards, each room is slightly different depending on what need to be controlled.

Here is just an example running on an 8" Teclast tablet, which I'm going to mount portrait style (no nice front panel yet)...

1 Like

It seems that all the dashboards being recommended are color tablets that user power.

Has anyone successfully used an e-ink device?

Or even some sort of mechanical airport style flappy display, or other cool type of status device that can indicate multiple simple statuses ?

1 Like

I upgraded my tablets (wanted bigger ones) so I have seven Fire 8 HD (Gen 7) tablets with wall-mount frames and recessed USB cables for sale. Details at Set of 7 Amazon Fire HD 8 (7th Generation) 16GB Tablets with wall-mount kits | eBay.