Recommend a home security system and cctv cameras

@JasonJoel I don't disagree with that. My method actually uses both. I have vlans to keep different kinds of devices separate from each other. So my BI sever can't see any of my PC's or mobile devices. Likewise for my IOT devices which are even further restricted etc. Only a few very trusted devices have access to my base LAN. But I also specifically block the IP's of my cameras from having access to anything. I can see them, but they can't see anything (well except for NTP).

The one thing to watch is if you have UPNP turned on in your router/gateway. If so, make sure the IP blocks actually block, and aren't circumvented by the automatic rules created by UPNP.

UPNP is the devil, in terms of security. Great for convenience, though.

I’ve had that turned off on my network for a while, at least :slightly_smiling_face:. I know enough to know that whatever it adds in terms of convenience for discovering devices, it’s probably not worth the security risks it creates.

1 Like

I have an Amcrest camera. You can turn off the UPNP function in the camera software. I have confirmed by looking at the UPNP reservations in my router. It does actually turn it off.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.