Recommend a good zigbee button device?

Another mention for the Hue button "switch" as they call them. Zigbee buttons.

I don't hate mine. I have 2 and are pretty good I guess. My kids love to take them off the wall and lose them though.

Despite my better judgement and your recommendation, I decided to try the Eria since they were relatively cheap. Looks like I'll end up going with the 4 button pico like I should have from the beginning. I never liked the Hue/Eria form factor, it feels a bit cheap (each button has a different tactile experience) and it consistently falls asleep after not being used for 30 minutes. Not happy with it at all.

I don't think I even noticed the feel of the buttons as being different, but I can add that to the list of things I don't like about them. :slight_smile: I can't recommend Picos enough. Here's a 4-button one (on the right) I re-labeled to make some sense to me:

(in order, Hue's "Relax" scene for that room--their standard icon for that, one that turns the window fan on overnight, one that turns on the tower fan on a timer, and another that toggles computer peripherals on/off). The left is the typical 5-button one that I have controlling lights for that room. None are real switches so I probably didn't need to use the faceplate, but I though it looked better with one. :slight_smile: The only problem I've had is that sometimes there's a delay with the first press after a hub reboot, something I haven't quite caught onto the cause of yet.

2 Likes

This is normal from my experience with Hubitat + Lutron. I would not worry about it. Hopefully you're not having to reboot your hub too often.

How is this for you? How many gang did you get and can you single, double tap and hold each of the gangs? How's the response? Also, where's the community driver pls?

I just ordered one at AliExpress and want to make sure it works well before paying.

Thanks

I have the 2 gang and single, double and hold all work. Hold does take 5 seconds other respond straight away. There are also leds under the buttons so you know when you have touched the button.
I've never had an issue with it so still recommend.
Driver is here

what kind of battery is that? CR1632?

I had the same problem for the longest time. Actually, mine was worse. No picos would work at all after a system reboot. I had to put a rule in place that on system startup run Initialize on the Lutron Telnet device about a minute after startup ran. Since I did that, every button press on the Picos responds immediately.

How did you get your labels to stay stuck? I did the same thing with my label maker but after using the Pico for about a month the labels are either falling off or are totally illegible. What's your secret? Maybe I just have a cheap label maker. :wink:

I tried that for a while but not sure I waited a full minute, so trying too fast could have been part of my problem. In another thread, I think staff and a couple other users narrowed this down: button-oriented apps behave better if their initialize() method (so app, not device--though both probably matter) is run after a hub reboot (if you care about this delay), otherwise it takes a few extra seconds. Stephan added a this in a recent version of Advanced Button Controller, and I plan to add an option in a future release of a button-related app I have. They might do something at the platform level to address this in the future, but it was unclear to me. I think it's less noticeable in other apps: who'd notice if the mode takes an extra couple seconds to change, and if you have motion-lighting apps, many might be time-restricted and have already woken up when you don't care and then work perfectly fast when you do. (Guessing as to why this might be most noticeable for button-oriented apps.)

I'm not sure I have any secrets (I wish I knew how to get them on straight enough the first time--I usually print two just in case, easy since there's lots of extra room on most labels)...but FWIW, it was a Brother P-Touch labeler with, I think, first-party TZe (P-Touch) tape. :slight_smile:

Did you ever consider getting a vinyl cutter for these purposes? The entry point is around $200 and up from there but they serve so many other purposes. I use mine a lot to make cardboard mockups of designs before I 3D print them.

I label a lot of things around the house with mine. Depending on the type of vinyl used will determine it's adhesive qualities as well as sun fade resistance, etc.

Cricut recently released the Cricut Joy which is pretty small and would be really good for smaller projects.

Here is a grill I did for my dad after the cleaner he used erased the stock graphics:

T-shirt I made for my niece that she wanted for school

Wine glasses for my daughter and boyfriend

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I thought of something else I might try. I bought some conformal coating for an LED project I worked on not too long ago and unfortunately you can only buy it in pretty large bottle. So, I now have a 3 lifetime supply of the stuff. The next time I print labels I was going to see if that gets me a little longer life out of them. The stuff is designed to not interacts with plastics, like glues or urethane do and it's totally clear and dries smooth. I'll report back how that works.

No, I hadn't....but I now realize what that machine at my public library was when I did my 3d print! I thought it said "Circuit Joy" and I thought circuit board printing but when i looked it up saw it was a cutter. Didn't know it could do something like this. That's interesting. How would you adhere it to a pico though? Don't you have to heat it up?

1 Like

No, it's self adhesive. There are various methods for application. The application method is determined by a number of factors, vinyl type, application surface, interior/exterior, etc. The basic idea is you cut the vinyl, transfer the graphic to 'transfer tape' and then apply the graphic with pressure.

Edit: you would only need heat if applying to a t-shirt or other type of fabric. This also requires a special type of vinyl.

Okay. And it can really get down to the fine detail you'd need to print something for a Pico remote? It seems like lettering or icons that small would be too tiny for it to cut it out.

It depends on how much detail. The issue really comes down to whether or not the design can be 'weeded' properly. It can cut pretty intricate detail but the design needs to be able to have extra vinyl removed prior to application, this is called 'weeding'. I have done pretty small details. Look at the picture of the grill. There is a cross hatch on there that was cut out. Also look inside the black light bulb on the right.

Here is a video on weeding. Maybe this will help you decide if a vinyl cutter will meet your needs.

Wow...yeah, definitely a lot more involved than I thought it would be. Something to take a look at possibly. Thanks!!

1 Like

It uses two Cr2032 which mine did come with.
It does do a check in every 59 minutes and I keep meaning to actually see if this is reporting battery level but with 2 batteries is should last a fair while.

hi im trying to find the driver for this can you point me in to it

THANKS at9