Receiving SMS on Hubitat

Hello all,

I'm playing around with SMS on my Hubitat. So far I've set up a trial Twilio account and tried sending an SMS from Hubitat to my phone - that works perfectly, and was incredibly easy to set up :+1: However, is it possible to receive SMS within Hubitat?

I have a standalone GPS tracker in my car (TKSTAR GPS Tracker Tk905b) which actually works extremely well, despite the relatively low price. This device will allow you to send SMS messages to control it (hence my testing of Twilio), but in some circumstances it will also respond/initiate an SMS back to an Admin phone number (eg to request location data, or to report Geofence In/Out).

I'd like to receive these messages and react on them somehow within Hubitat. I'm not sure exactly how yet I will react on the messages yet, I'm just playing around.

Is it possible to receive SMS within Hubitat (either via Twilio or some other mechanism)? I can't figure out an easy way to do this :thinking:

TIA!

Keith

The only way that I have found to do similar is using an Android phone or tablet with the Tasker App (~$4 on store) as an intermediary. Check out my posts in this thread.

I don't know if you would consider that "an easy way to do this". I can give you more details if you have questions.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the fast response! I've used Tasker before, so I have it on my phone and I'm (somewhat) familiar with its usage.

I'd prefer something a little more "direct" if possible, but I will have a look at Tasker anyway. I'll get back to you if I have questions.

Thanks!

?

1 Like

That looks really interesting - thanks djh. I'll check it out :+1:

1 Like

Twilio supports calling a webhook when an SMS is received by Twilio:

My only caution is spam text messages so you would need to filter out ones from unknown numbers. But this said it should be possible to integrate this with HE's cloud URL to an app you create on your HE but it isn't something I have done with Hubitat.

1 Like

Thanks Michael. It seems like I have some reading to do! :joy:

1 Like