Receive instant status updates from the Philips Hue Bridge

This post claims Home Assistant will be receiving instant status updates from the Hue bridge.

In another post the author said HA will no longer be polling the hub but receiving push updates instead.

Is this (push) capability introduced to the bridge through a recent firmware update?
I looked but couldn't find any official documentation on the subject.

This is would be a game changer for Philips Hue integration.

Man, I think I didn't look hard enough. This post from hueblog.com says it loud and clear:

With the introduction of the new API, this has changed. Now the Hue Bridge can send messages to apps and other smart home systems. For example, an app no longer has to ask every few seconds if something has changed. Instead, it receives a message from the Hue Bridge immediately after the change: “The light in the kitchen is now on.”

Full article:

I guess all we need now is to wait for the wizards out there to work their magic and bring this to our integration. As I mentioned before, game changer (i dropped the hew integration due to the lack of real time status).

2 Likes

They seem to be lagging behind in documenting it in their API, at least from what I can see and have read. Hopefully it will come soon, obviously they must have had it for HA to do their integration....

But I shouldn't be so negative, is very exciting news, I moved all my lights and accessories across to my new C-7, would consider moving them back if this came along.

I have tried to implement this in CoCoHue but have not had any luck so far. The HTTPS EventSocket connection disconnects immediately after it connects, though it no longer refuses the connection outright (as it did originally, but staff helped me by making a change that should have ignored errors from the Bridge's self-signed certificate--not sure if that isn't quite working right still, but it does require HTTPS so I can't work around it any other way).

Hubitat's built-in integration doesn't do this, either.

1 Like

I appreciate all of your hard work. I couldn’t find anything on Hue’s developer website regarding this change, so maybe it’s not fully baked yet.

It is working on HA so I think this just requires the internal calls to be available and proven within HE for Bert to do his magic

I couldn't find it in the API doco, so they may not have finished that aspect just yet

This addition will be very nice!

Any update on this?

CoCoHue 4.0 Beta added this after Hubitat made some changes to their built-in event socket interface that made this possible. Hue also officially documented the new API, though they do not yet consider it final. (Another community integration also supports this. Hubitat's built-in one currently does not; this may change if Hue removes the v1 API in the future as they claim they want to.)

1 Like

Thank you for the update (and developing the CoCo integration) - any idea when the BETA might be ready for official release? I've already installed CoCoHue, but just not ready to experiment with BETAs just yet given where I am at the moment.

I'll probably do something in the next week or two, but I don't plan on making any huge changes before then in case the possible lack of stability is all that's deterring you from a beta. :smiley: (But do take a hub backup before you install; it is not possible to downgrade due to changes v4 makes to the devices on Hubitat that won't work with older versions.)

1 Like

I have used all of the CoCoHue betas (and alpha I guess) and haven’t seen any issues significant enough to break anything. I have 2 Hue bridges connected with around 60 Hue bulbs.