Rebuilding a Z-Wave mesh

So, I'm late to move from Wink to HE. For me, the $5/month was no big deal, but the latest outage was the proverbial straw. I have managed to move my Zigbee devices pretty easily but am having problems with Leviton Z-Wave switches. Since the Wink service is down (possibly for good?) , I can't exclude the devices from the Wink hub. I've tried doing a factory reset on a couple of switches, but they don't get through the HE inclusion process. I assume I have to rebuild the Z-Wave mesh, but have a couple of questions:

• Do I need to factory reset all of the switches before trying to add anything to HE?
  • When I do the factory reset, do the switches just reconnect with the Wink hub? Based on past experience, I don't think so but just making sure.

Thanks.

You can try manually running an exclusion from HE and doing the exclusion on the device.

Settings -> Z-Wave Details -> z-Wave Exclude

2 Likes

It also can't hurt to turn off the Wink hub. It's not working anyway.

In your situation I would:

1. Power down the Wink hub.
  2. Look up your device's procedure for excluding (button sequences + mouth holding).
  3. On Hubitat, start a general z-wave exclude (Settings->Z-wave Details->Z-wave Exclude)
  4. Do the exclude procedure on your switch. HE should log that "a device" was excluded. I would start with the devices closest to the hub physically.
  5. Do the inclusion procedure on Hubitat. Make sure its clean with no ghosts. On the C-7 you'd see a route on the zwave details for a successful include. On the C-5 or earlier I'm not sure how ghosts would be indicated.
  6. Repeat back to #3 for each device.
3 Likes

I would add to factory reset them between excluding and including (4.5).

1 Like

I will also add if you have a failed z-wave pairing, STOP! Look at your z-wave details pages (yourhubip>>settings>z-wave details) you will find an entry with the routing column blank. This needs removed before you continue. Once removed, factory reset the device and attempt pairing again. Some locks require pairing right next to the hub due to a whisper that occours between the hub and the lock (schlage most notably)

Thanks all - the pointers definitely helped. I also needed to dig up the Leviton documentation to figure out how to get the switches into exclusion mode. All is working now.

2 Likes