Really Really dissappointed in Zigbee implemenation -

Not sure actually, maybe @an39511 might know since the other tip about zigbee came from there :slight_smile:

Rick

ZWave is different and there is no similar "report". You can use an additional ZStick and a tool such as OZWCP to get the Neighbor's table, and then extrapolate the routing. Non-trivial.

1 Like

I have two locations with hubs and dozens of v1 and v2 zigbee devices and I have never had any issues with them. Maybe it is my environment, but Zigbee FAR outperforms my zwave plus devices, in speed, distance and reliability. I do not have any bulbs of any kind on either system. I think there is a problem with your radio or a device in your mesh... just my experience..

It's funny you say your ZigBee works better then your zwave. This is my experience too.

All my Iris stuff is V2

Seems more and more that way - I am making one last attempt and separating wifi form zigbee channels. If that doesn't work, perhaps its time to start a support case for replacement. I have now relocated my routers to channel 11 and channel 6, Hue is on zigbee channel 11 and Hubitat is on zigbee channel 26. I did a site survey and there is no other wifi signal that overlaps with zigbee channel 26.
Let's see if that helps.

Running this command I only see 50% of my devices, and looks like only one repeater is being used. Not much of a mesh.

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=4, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data
child:[Hall Motion Sensor, 353C, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Bath Motion Sensor, 32BA, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Hall, 1A8C, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]
child:[Attic, 02A5, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]

Neighbor Table Entry
[Environment Sensor, 1E80], LQI:80, age:7, inCost:7, outCost:0
[Washing Machine, 2337], LQI:113, age:4, inCost:7, outCost:0
[System, D029], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:5

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Entrance Motion Sensor, 7A7E] via [System, D029]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [System, D029] via [System, D029]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Washing Machine, 2337] via [System, D029]

Yeah looks like I need to do that too.

Use channel 25 or 20, 26 is not an ideal zigbee channel.

3 Likes

20 was the magic channel for me.

2 Likes

changed to 25

Ohhh !!! I didn't know about this one... nice tip !!!

My hub is using channel 11. If I switch channels will my zigbee devices stop responding ?

Yes, but they should pick up the new channel i. 24 hours. 11 is a fine channel for zigbee, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just 26 is not an ideal channel to use, IMO.

2 Likes

I read channel 26 is actually lower in power, due to some FCC regulation nonsense.

I'm on 25 and have 4 Xbees, my mesh is very solid, 16 Iris motion sensors, 5ST motion sensors, and 6 ST flood sensors and rarely does stuff fall off.

That's true; quoting from a Silicon Labs application note on passing FCC certification (I think in practice this would depend on the power amp design):

Band Edge concerns: The top end of the 802.15.4 channel band (Channel 26 and occasionally Channels 24 an 25 at very high output powers) usually pushes up against the limits of the band, encroaching into the reserved area in the adjacent (higher) frequencies. Therefore, it's often necessary to artificially limit (with software) output power on these upper channels (as much as -9 or -10 dBm) in order to pass FCC TX testing.

Was curious to see things being routed via a harmony hub I have, I find the harmony a bit flaky so actually have it set to power cycle daily which I gues could be problematic

Am I interpreting this correctly ?

The LQI numbers are low for a couple of your routing devices. I don't know much about the numbers but you might want to force a Zigbee repair after you change the Zigbee channel away from 26 (shut down the hub for 30 minutes and then turn back on). Run that same report again. If the numbers on the Environmental sensor and washing machine are still below upper 200s you should look at the placement of those devices and or adding new repeaters.

1 Like

I had the same issue with the GE Link bulbs with ST when the new app came out. Only way I was able to keep using them was to run both versions of the app , or just not use the new one. Actually I had the same issue with my GE/ Jasco switch too.

Don't have any iris components.

I have 5 sengled classic bulbs, none that close to the hub , most upstairs (hub is in the laundry room on the ground floor in the middle of the house) and haven't had any issues with them.

What I have had an issue with is my Cree and GE Link bulbs randomly flashing on and back off quickly, sometimes at a really inconvenient times like 3:00 am. No one has been able to really explain why except to say it a firmware issue with them. So i'm just replacing them with Sengled's or a new z wave bulb I have heard rumor of coming out in the not too distant future. I'm not getting too aggressive about it since i'm waiting on that release.

The harmony hub doesn't have a zigbee radio (unless you have the Harmony Hub Extender box). Seems more likely that you have a zigbee outlet called "Harmony Hub Power".

3 Likes

@Rxich ... just curious, how are you enclosing your Xbees? (and I guess related, which antenna style?)

Hate to sound stupid, but what is Xbee?

I was going to start out with "Don't be stupid" but I didn't.