[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

These have been on the market since long before Ring offered a security system.

They're better than a detector, IMO, because they don't require replacement. Z-wave detectors are typically rather pricy, and may not have the same features as a typical detector. By using standard detectors (and one of these), you benefit from the interlinks available on the standard detector as well as having a way to get the alert into your system.

FWIW, this same product type is offered by Vivint. I've used it and find that it alerts reliably and have not had any false alarms.

I'm getting a 3-pack of the First Alert detectors for $33 each from Costco. Just a smidge more from other local places.

Those things need to be replaced every ~10 years anyway. I don't necessarily get them all hooked up with a hardwire--but they'll all trip off my Ring Alarm.

1 Like

They appear to have come down in price. First Alert advertises them as being $90, currently on sale for $55. When you (I) have six detectors, that's a decent jump up from the $15-20 for the hardwired standard ones.

That said, it isn't clear that these interlink directly with each other. I can't find any mention of that on the product page here: First Alert ZCOMBO-G Z-Wave Enabled Battery Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Combo Alarm (Works with the Ring Alarm Security Kit) | First Alert Store -- because of that lack of direct interlink, they may or may not meet code in your area. They wouldn't in mine.

Anyhow, if that's what you prefer... go for it. Just be aware that the "janky" method you mentioned is far from it, and has become an acceptable, if not preferred, approach to linking smoke detectors with an alarm system.

1 Like

This is correct: The First Alert Z-Wave smoke/CO detectors do not interlink, and in many places (perhaps everywhere?) in the U.S., they probably don't strictly comply with code requirements.

I can say that during setup, and twice when my wife set off the existing smoke alarms, the ring LISTENER alerted the Ring Hub and through the integration, my HE. I purchased a couple of listeners for direct connection (Zigbee) to my HE but I have not felt the rush to deploy them.

2 Likes

What I'd really like is to have a 120VAC powered, z-wave smoke & CO detector WITH a hardwired interlink. Ugh.

For now, I'll probably leave my 120VAC/interlinked smoke detectors up. And add a few scattered Smoke/CO detectors (these do smoke & CO).

Well, @rob9, for the 120v CO/smoke detectors, there’s the Kidde KN-COPE-IC, which daisy-chain hardwire interconnect with each other, to which you can connect the Kidde SM120X Relay module (on eBay for $12 for two-pack), which exposes a SPDT dry-contact relay that you could connect to a Z-Wave contact sensor. Works for me. The SM120X might work with your detectors.

1 Like

NOW you tell me--as UPS is just about to deliver 3 more of those First Alert ones. :slight_smile:

I might have to check into the relay deal. I have the hardwire ones all over already (but, I think they are actually about to be "old").

PS: Actually, the z-wave ones are connected straight to my Ring Alarm--so that's likely a more reliable way to get the fire department called. Less in the path.

Google it, you will see data sheets and wiring diagrams.

1 Like

In the for-what-it's-worth category -- getting the fire department on the way should be a secondary problem when it comes to smoke / CO detection. The primary goal should be to rouse, awake, and evacuate all occupants -- hence why the code requirement for interlinks.

You may consider tying a few additional automations to this, such as activating sirens in your Ring cameras, turning on lights (or strobing them), and blasting Van Halen through any connected speaker...

1 Like

I have a lot happening automatically when the smoke/CO alarms go off.

I had dogs until the last one passed away recently, so actually getting the fire dept here was a very primary concern when I wasn't around to rescue them.

1 Like

I was looking at the Ring Listeners, but was put off by a lot of negative reviews on Amazon about their reliability. Folks saying they set off their alarms right next to them and nothing happened.

Glad it's working well for you...I wish feedback on these was more consistent. I may have to get one and try it out myself.

Ok, so. More money out the window.

Gonna get a relay gizmo and a Zooz 3 switch/3 relay powered Z-Wave Plus gizmo. And. A power adapter. Stuff it on one of my UPSs and wire it into my "hardwired" alarm network.

Then, at the very least, my Hubitat will know when the alarms go of. Maybe, I can push that to Ring.

It will, for now, be fire alarms only.

Although, now that I think about it. I can also "trigger" on any of the z-wave alarms going off--and use the 2nd or 3rd relay in that box to trigger all the hardwired ones to howl at the same time!!

I just need to figure out how to make sure I can keep from getting things latched into a deadly embrace with the alarms going off. Hmm

In any case, that should be sweet!

I believe the inconsistent reviews stems from the self install nature of the Ring alarm system. We were moving into a new home and I had some time to plan and research. I had already chosen Hubitat and was testing in our temporary quarters. I chose Ring partially based on the fact that I was already using Amazon home automation products.

I followed the Ring install instructions closely and my reading here about Hubitat helped me understand the pitfalls of the wireless sensors. I installed the listener last and made sure to follow the testing procedure. I have had no problems and I trust the listener.

On a side note, after I wrote my last post, my wife set off the smoke detectors again! Some day she will remember to close the door when grilling. :weary:

1 Like

So, is there a way to send a Smoke Alarm event to Ring thru the integration?

I've got a BRK "hardwired interconnect relay" that flips a switch on my Zooz ZEN16 multirelay, so I can now detect (in Hubitat) when the smoke alarms go off. It would be nice if that could trigger Ring to call the fire department--rather than waiting for more of the house to burn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've got an automation setup that still works in ST w/the Ring cameras and doorbell, but isn't working w/it here in Hubitat. Probably I've misuderstood or missed something significant.

EDIT: I was right, above, I did misunderstand something and/or missed something significant...forgot to complete the IFTTT steps! I was multitasking a little to hard yesterday and left a browser instance open on IFTTT but didn't actually do the work ot set things up.

In a more magical universe I hope for it would have just happened on its own. :wink:

I'll check the automation later tonight when it's set to run, but expect it to be fine then.

1 Like

@ardichoke:

I don't know if you wrote them, if they were in the original unoficial release or what, but I just have to say that the IFTTT setup instructions were some of the best, and easily most easily to follow/use technical instructions I've seen in a long time.

I've used IFTTT over the years, but it's also been about a year since I've created any new IFTTTs, so I was feeling a little rusty. The istructions and integrated URLs, codes, body statements, etc., made it a breeze. Kudos to whomever deserves them.

Things are sort-of working now...IFTTT is in place, but the Ring front door doorbell (V2 version) applet fails repeatedly.

I've deleted and re-created the doorbell applet on IFTTT repeatedly, but it always fails to run. The other 4 Ring devices involved (3 floodlight cameras and one spotlight camera) have applets that all run fine. I've checked to ensure I am using the right body json copy/paste, and even asked my son to watch and verify while I create the IFTTT applet, and that it's Post action, application/json, has the right URL (same as all the other applets), and has the correct body content for the front door. The doorbell is setup as Ring Virtual Camera device type. The ID in the body text matches the device ID in the device page.

Any ideas?

Make sure there are no leading/trailing spaces in any of those copy/pastes

Thanks for the reminder.

I've been looking at that the copy/pastes to ensure there are no spaces. Just verified again, no spaces.