[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

I installed this package last night and super impressed. However, I've hit some issues and have some questions I'm hoping the community who has more experience with this can help answer.

1. What drivers are people using for a "Ring Spotlight Cam Battery HD Security Camera with Built Two-Way Talk and a Siren Alarm" The App defaults to "Ring Virtual Light" which works to turn the light on/off and shows the light status but does not provide the ability to activate the Siren or get the battery level. Yes I have the " *Discard the battery level parameter turned off. The battery level is what I'm really interested in as I want to write a rule to notify me when it is low

2. Same with Ring Doorbell. What drivers are people using as it is showing the image snapshot great in HE but that is it.

3. What causes the "Last Activity" attribute to update?

4. When you click on the "poll' command in the driver what does it actually do as I was thinking it would not only check the light status but also update the "polling for thumbnail snapshots" and bring over the most current snapshot from the camera.

5. What exactly does the "Interval between thumbnail refresh" option in the App do for Polling snapshots. Basically what I'm after is what can I do in HE to get Ring to display a current snapshot from the camera. I can see the picture does get updated throughout the day in HE. What is missing for me is how to know what day/time the snapshot was taken to display on the Dashboard so I know how current it is.

6. The Location Driver. I have two homes where Ring is installed and I successfully installed my RING devices in HE in my primary home. The only thing I noticed is if I set the Home/Away command for either location using ghte location driver it updates both houses with that location instead of just the status for that specific house lcoation driver so I'm having to use the RING Mobile App to set the location for each house correctly since I can't be in two places at once. Is this a limitation of the WebSocket or a bug with the Location Driver? Ideally I would like to build a rule to automatically update the RING to Home/Away based on my presence.

Again, thanks @ardichoke and @codahq for creating this App and Drivers as I can now see a lot of possibilities for automation with HE and RING.

Ring Virtual Light with Siren
Update: I'm wrong here, didn't realize you said "battery". That would be ring-virtual-light.groovy, but per @morse.caleb you might need some fixes if that doesn't work.

Ring Virtual Camera

For future reference, the Github instructions talk about what devices map to what child apps.

One thing you didn't mention is getting Motion alerts and/or door press alerts. Do those your best bet is to use IFTTT or Alexa per some of the instructions further above.

I personally don't use Snapshots nor two home locations with Ring, so can't help you there.
the answer "might" be to create two instances of this app/integration and name them appropriately.

1 Like

@SoundersDude thanks for the reply. Are you able to retrieve the battery level using the Ring Virtual Light with Siren driver as I tried that driver and still no battery attribute?

I'm already using Alexa for Alerts that is working great. I like your ide on two instances of the App might solve the State problem.

Hopefully someone else in the community can answer the questions regarding how I can determine date/time the snapshot was taken.

Sounds like that camera may be miscategorized. The Ring API device names are all over the place so I'm not too surprised that would happen. The Ring API is similarly inconsistent with how it provides battery level info.

I can probably fix both of those issues if you send me some log output. To get the right log output:

• Enable trace logging in the app
  • Click the "Discover Devices" button from the main app page (No need to add/remove any devices, just clicking on the page is enough)
  • Do a 'refresh' on the camera device that isn't getting the battery level.
  • Change app back to previous logging level

Don't post the logs here. They contain some sensitive information. PM them to me.

Currently there is no way to do this.

What is the "Location Driver"? There are no drivers named that in the Ring integration

1 Like

Thanks I'll keep the default driver of "Ring Virtual Light" for the Camera and try doing the steps as you suggested. If the battery level attribute still does not show-up I'll PM you the logs.

It appears using the Ring Virtual Light driver has no way to activate the siren. Any chance to get that attribute and command added to the driver or create a new driver for the "Ring Spotlight Cam Battery HD Security Camera with Built Two-Way Talk and a Siren Alarm"

With regards to Location, I should have stated "location device" not driver. Regardless of what location device I set the Mode it updates the Mode for both location devices

Too bad there is no way to know date/time of snapshop.

@morse.caleb I see ring added an option for "quick exit" that bypasses a contact sensor for 30 seconds by pressing the button on sensor. Is there anything in the API to allow this to be triggered by HE?

2 Likes

I've added additional motion sensors and siren sensors, how do I update the app to included the new devices? I modified HPM to include the siren sensors, showed up on device, but the additional motion sensor is not showing up. Also tried to click on the create device button on Ring Alarm Hub to no avail.

I believe you'll want to click "create devices" on each parent device where these would show up.
So for Camera's in the main app discovery, for alarm items both in the parent Ring API Virtual Device and the Ring Alarm Devices.

Hi. I've been using this great integration for sometime with excellent results. I currently use the following in Rule Manager to set the alarm:

setMode('Away') on Ring Virtual Alarm Hub

Is there any way to set this with a parameter or command to auto-bypass one or more sensors that I want to ignore some of the time?

TIA

Hi,

I am having trouble in reading the mode status from Ring Alarm to my Hub. In fact, clicking Refresh button or any of the command presses lead to below error message

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Did Ring just break the API? My hubitat tried to re-login on Ring after rebooting. I had to manually do it since it requires 2FA, and now when I try to control the Ring hub using hubitat, it says command not supported through API. I haven't had the chance to debug it yet

Still working for me, but that doesn't rule out them rolling out a potential change. Any logs and debuging you do will be helpful.

Spoke too soon. Things "look" like they are working right, but normally my websocket disconnects and reconnects every 4 hours, and I'm noticing an error and no activity for over 24 hours. I just restarted my hub to force it per your message and it did reconnect.

@morse.caleb - I've never seen that error below, not sure if your instance hit that as well or not.

Changing modes works for me. I'll keep an eye out on my websocket.

Edit: Following up. Things are still working great for me. Looks more likely it was the CloudFlare outing per @halfrican.ak below. I'm also still seeing a perpetual webhook and not the 4 hour time-out. Will be interesting to see if that is a new thing or perhaps Ring's mitigation to the outage.

1 Like

There was an outage with cloudfare that was causing an outage for Ring could this be related?

2 Likes

Saw this error again in my logs from last night:

@morse.caleb - Does that mean we are no longer privy to when the websocket disconnects and we only find out when sending a command? Or am I misunderstanding the code path here?

Before in the logs I'd see the websocket closing and us try to reconnect. Now I only see websocket closing after this error.

Looks like one or more of your drivers didn't get updated completely by HPM. Try doing an HPM repair.

Not currently. I can see the device bypass commands in the Ring API, but there isn't any code to support it currently.

It depends. I would need to see the command that's being sent. If the feature only works on the phone apps, then it probably isn't possible to implement it.

I have seen those error messages too. I added a feature where it disconnects and reconnects the websocket a few seconds before Ring does it automatically. The idea was to reduce the log noise. Every once and a while, it seems to request a refresh too early. I haven't managed to figure out what exactly is the problem. It's mostly a benign error, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Unexpected websocket disconnects will still be logged as before.

1 Like

It seems the only option to trigger the "quick exit" option is by pressing the button on the gen 2 contact sensors. Although, you do have to enable the option in the app.

1 Like

Tried repairing using HPM, but still getting the same error.