[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

So in routines this is what it looks like for me.

Where "Backyard" is my backyard Ring cam.
And zAlexaBackyardMotion is my momentary virtual switch that hits the ifttt/ring app end point.

The simple action of "power on" will do the right thing where it will turn on/off appropriately in line with the motion.

Edit: Also tip for setting up the momentary switch, make sure you get your Hubitate IP address right and include the device port of 8080 since it's an internal call. Without that it fails which took me a long time to figure out.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you for the help. I've been having lots of issues lately with IFTTT so I'm going to try your route. I figure since Amazon owns Ring, this might be a better way to go anyway.

After much searching, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anything which will easily integrate with Hubitat when it comes to monitored alarm systems. I opted to go with Scout Alarm, because they're reasonably priced, independent and have certified monitoring services. They have a number of other integrations (IFTTT, SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa to name a few off the top of my head) and when I reached out to their support they said they would be open to exploring a Hubitat integration if it was requested enough, I think they would also want the Hubitat team to help integrate it as well.

A LOT of solid work was put into the unofficial Ring integration and, thus far, it's worked like a charm. Not been too hard and is a cornerstone of what I have going on right now.

(I do agree, "official" integration would be great).

Still, the number of companies I would trust to do monitoring isn't particularly large.

2 Likes

Agreed, this integration has been exactly what I've needed. Being able to trigger on/off the alarm and see the ring connected sensors as native sensors in HE has been hands-down fantastic.

2 Likes

One thing I've noticed is that the my ring doorbell 2 cam seems to go to sleep, this ends up giving a blank live feed to my dash (until something wakes it up) and I get lots of the following in my logs. When the cam is running things are fine. Any suggestions?

The far right is my ring doorbell

Just had a fun brainstorm for a new Hubitat-Ring feature:

The ability to send text-to-speech (TTS) commands or MP3 audio to sound-enabled devices (like the Ring Camera series, with exterior speakers). So that when motion is detected, for example, the camera could be made to say, "I see you there!" :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From what I've seen, Ring devices have very limited sound capabilities.

I can't even get a single chime to ring differently for my front and back doors.

1 Like

You might not want to do this, if the purpose of the virtual switch is just to provide a way for an Alexa routine to trigger something on HE.

I give those virtual switches names that Alexa would likely never mistake anyone actually saying, so they can't be activated except via Alexa routines.

1 Like

I have a working HE integration with QolSys IQ2+ alarm panels. Doesn't rely on web scraping or anything like that, it connects directly to a local endpoint on the panel.

Only problem is that HE doesn't provide a way to create an encrypted socket connection, so it's a bit complicated to set up. I'm using NodeRed, openssl and mqtt to make the connection between the panel and HE. If/when HE ever adds an encrypted socket, I'll simplify the drivers and publish them.

1 Like

Indeed, for this case. I was thinking more generally. But as a special trigger like this, I agree.

DOH questions alert:

• What specifically does "Get Dings" do? Shows up on my Spotlight cams device page, and of course they have no doorbell to "ding."

• Same question for the inscrutable "Both." Both what? :slight_smile:

Not sure about "both", but "Get Ding" is a way to poll for motion status.
When you setup this integration, there is an option to poll (not recommended) v.s. using push through IFTTT (or some of us are using Alexa instead).

A "Ding" in this integration is another way to define "motion" or "ring".

1 Like

Both is probably from the alarm capability. If so, IIRC it would be equivalent to lights and sirens .

1 Like

I'm having an issue where I added two new devices to my Ring network and it's not showing up in Hubitat. Is there a manual way I can trigger (re-)discovery of devices? In my case, I am trying to add a steplight and a motion sensor. Any help greatly appreciated!

You need to make sure you've done two things from your description that I am aware of;

1. make sure you have the right drivers installed through this add-in, as it won't find a device if you don't have that device's code.
  2. Go to "Devices" then your " Ring Virtual Alarm Hub" device, and click "Create devices".

I suggest turning on logging and looking at your logs to see if you see any errors or warnings about a device not being recognized.

Thanks @SoundersDude. I have tried the following:

• installed all the drivers
  • followed the "Create devices" instructions

There is no reaction at all. I have turned on debug logging:

createDevices(984d9851-7ee8-4b55-5800-ab9d93c308af)
debugAttempting to create devices.

The Ring Motion Sensor I recently purchased isn't showing up in the list. With "trace logging" enabled, I see a little more, but again, outcome is the same.

debugWatchdog checking started.  Time since last check: 0.0 minutes
debugsimpleRequest(refresh)
infoRefreshing hub 4e484cd9-4238-4b84-8261-0454d531261b with kind base_station_v1
debugrefresh(4e484cd9-4238-4b84-8261-0454d531261b)
debugcreateDevices(4e484cd9-4238-4b84-8261-0454d531261b)
debugAttempting to create devices.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Are you adding a general Ring alarm motion sensor, or are both of these lighting specific?

Both of the devices are lighting specific.

• Ring Smart Lighting – Steplight
  • Ring Smart Lighting – Outdoor Motion-Sensor

And per the instructions you have all of the " Ring Security Lighting (Ring Bridge/Beams)" apps/drivers installed?

It seems to me that it can't see these devices