[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Is anyone else having issues with their Ring Alarm Integration? I’m on 0.3.1 and even though it says it is successfully logged in, it doesn’t send or receive commands. (I cannot arm, disarm or lock/unlock doors. It doesn’t detect the state of sensors, etc.)

I am getting the following errors:
2020-08-30 11:17:16.001 errorjava.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request on line 1614 (responseHandler)

I have an older static version (not updating with HPM) on another hub and that one works great, leading me to believe that there is an issue with version 0.3.1...

Edit: I installed the app from HPM to a new hub and it works without issues. Not sure what is wrong with the installation on my main hub... Will continue to debug, but input is welcome!

Edit 2: Well, after doing a few initialize, refresh, discover, etc. It’s working again. Very odd... Regardless, I’m VERY happy it is working again. :smiley:

@Sebastien thanks for pointing that out.

Anyone who has a Ring alarm hub and upgrades to the latest version, you'll likely need to remove your Ring Alarm Hub then go to Discover Devices in the Ring Connect app and add it again. I'm not entirely sure why, part of the growing pains of taking over a fairly large app from someone else blindly. Learning it as I go.

2 Likes

A quick thank you for being willing to take on the project!

2 Likes

I concur with SteveZ, this is one piece of my system that would be hard to walk away from...

For the last few days, mine hasn't worked right, I will try removing the Hub device and re-add it and go from there

God Speed
:slight_smile:

The only Ring device I have is a Doorbell(and it's motion sensor and camera). Something I would like to do is if that doorbell senses motion and it's nighttime, then turn on all the outside front lights on the house.

...That's something I should look into.

That should be really easy to do.
Both with this integration, or using Alexa or IFTTT to trigger a virtual switch/motion controller and setting that rule in RM. [Edit: See this post with included Virtual Driver]

With this integration I'd recommend using the "Motion lighting app" that is native to HE, and selecting your doorbell as the motion sensor - then you'll get all the bells and whistles you want like for how long to stay on, any secondary motion presence, etc.

2 Likes

You can use Alexa to do this even if you do not have their device.
Install the app, include the devices using the Amazon Alexa Skill and then in the app set up a skill to do something when motion is detected.
Can give more details if you need them.

2 Likes

Are there specific steps/instructions for how to get the snapshots working?
I'm happy to help update documentation on Git and if we could update your original post here, that would be super helpful.

I personally don't have a need right now for the dashboard snapshots, so am debating if I upgrade or not, as I don't really have time to re-configure, but would still like to help.

I am just looking into this integration but as others said, just using the Alexa integration with virtual switches you can do this easily. Here is what I do if there is motion at my front door as an example. I only want this to happen once every 5 minutes in this example. For the light, if there is motion I set it to full brightness and then after a minute, I set it back to the previous value.

Anyone have success with a Ring Doorbell 3 Plus?

After putting in my Ring account credentials successfully and selecting my location, the 3 Plus does not show up on on the list of available devices, but I might be having other issues as my chime does not show up either. Those are the only two Ring devices I own right now.

I also had a strange issue in that when I started the app it gave me an error that I was missing the API driver. I thought that was only required for Ring security devices. I added it to see what would happen and then got stuck with no devices to select.

Yes, it looks like that pull request got lost, but if you want it to be discovered now:

1. go to your app code for the main app,

2. and make these two small additions:

"doorbell_scallop",
"doorbell_scallop": [name: "Ring Video Doorbell 3", driver: "Ring Virtual Camera", dingable: true],

(on the previous version these were lines ~708 and 730 roughly)

The Doorbell 3 Plus is now known as "scallop", so the discovery entry needs to be added to your code in those two spots (exact location will depend on the version you are on), hopefully @ardichoke can get this pull in officially for the next update so no-one has to manually do this.

That's odd. And you did install the chime driver as well?

Thanks @SoundersDude for the detailed help!

I don’t really know Groovey, but I can copy and paste with the best of them. Your detailed notes and picture made it very easy and I was able to connect my Doorbell 3 Plus.

Should I be seeing more than the following exposed from this device?

When I rang my doorbell, there was no event captured and nothing in the logs. Pressing any Commands produced nothing either. I was expecting a button to make the doorbell ring and events that captured physical rings on the doorbell???

I still don’t see my Chime as a discoverable device for some reason. I have installed these 3 drivers:

I did purchase the Chime the same time as the doorbell, but I don't think it is a new model. It is just the regular chime (does not include the WiFi extender). I am not sure why that is happening. I also not sure why I get this error after selecting my Location if I don't install the API virtual Device since I did not think I needed that:

Maybe there is a bigger problem here with my config or my Ring account that I am missing???

You need to make sure you connect the IFTTT routine to the doorbell to get the events (or choose polling).

Full instructions are at the github site.
Specifically:

You won't get motion or ring notifications or events on cameras and doorbells until you configure them. There are instructions in the app to set them up under the "Configure the way that Hubitat will get motion alert and ring events" link. It is highly recommended to use IFTTT for notifications. You can poll for events but it is often unreliable.

I only have the Ring Doorbell 2, but that looks right.

Same problem here with the app.

Logs show:
errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'Ring API Virtual Device' in namespace 'ring-hubitat-codahq' not found on line 1708 (mainPage)

Thanks.

I understood that was for motion, but clearly did not read close enough that it was rings also, but that makes sense. I have had very poor luck with IFTTT in the past being quite slow (but it has been a while) that I skipped by that. I already have ST feeding the motion into a virtual motion sensor. I can do the same I suppose for the doorbell rings also,

I guess I am wondering at that point what value I can get out of this integration since I am sending all the events to other virtual devices. Are there other ways folks are using this with the doorbell to do something else?

I get that there is much more useful stuff in this integration for the other Ring devices. I don’t mean to sound critical for all the hard work put in here. Just trying to figure out what I can leverage from it. I wish I could get the Chime to work to see what is available there that I can use. Otherwise I can just create virtual devices updated by ST and let this go for now I guess.

The dashboard thumbnails might be of use to you. But good point, I don't think you can actually leverage all the good here. I have the ring alarm system which this speaks directly (locally) to as well, so my contact sensors, alarm, etc. all come together nicely.

So you probably won't get much for your use-case.

One future improvement we could/should make here is to add "switch" as a capability to these virtual devices so someone could use an Alexa routine instead of IFTTT to avoid a 2nd middle-man and keep it all with Amazon.

I don't use IFTTT, I set up routines in my Alexa app to turn on or off virtual switches and then I use them inside of habitat to do what I need to do

1 Like

Thanks again... I am still pretty new to Hubitat and have not done much with the Dashboard. I think I will leave it for now and check that out when I have a chance.

I like the Alex routine idea @toy4rick. I will try that out also.

I personally use this integration mostly to lock doors and synchronize my HSM to Ring Alarm. That way, when I Arm HSM, Ring will arm and vice-versa. I also have it disarm HSM with Ring. I have recently setup a rule that will detect if someone tried to arm but was not successful due to an open door sensor. Once the sensor is closed, it will automatically arm.

For the door locks, I have it automatically lock doors when the system is armed, and also throughout the day, but only when the door is closed. All things that can unfortunately not be done with Ring or within Alexa routines.

I do not use the doorbell button or motion events from this integration...

The thumbnails are a nice addition. I use the images as backgrounds to buttons or to dashboards. Works very well!

3 Likes

Very interesting, could you explain this a bit more?
You have Ring Alarm auto-arm when your doors are closed?