[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Make sure there are no leading/trailing spaces in any of those copy/pastes

Thanks for the reminder.

I've been looking at that the copy/pastes to ensure there are no spaces. Just verified again, no spaces.

A 401 sounds like the access token isn’t correct. But like you said if it’s the same as the others...

Are you trying to detect the motion or ring?
So for me it's not a "motion" in IFTTT for a ring, it's an actual "Ring".

And then you'll also want to make sure the JSON reflects that. e.g.

e.g. mine shows up twice in the IFTTT for me to choose (with the same Ring ID)

Thanks, @dman2306 & @SoundersDude.

Yeah, the token is a very simple copy/paste, and I've done it for every other Ring device I have, and I've re-re-re-verified no spaces anywhere. :slight_smile:

Regarding what I'm tracking, it's motion, not a ring. I have the Ring Video Doorbell 2 listed once in my motion payload section:

Body Payloads for Motion Events
Ring Spotlight Cam Wired - Side Gate:
- { "kind": "motion", "motion": true, "id": "RING-xxxxx" }
Ring Floodlight Cam - Driveway :
Ring Video Doorbell 2 - Front Door:

Ring Floodlight Cam - Backyard:
Ring Floodlight Cam - Shed:

And once in my "ring" payload section:

Body Payloads for Ring Events
Ring Video Doorbell 2 - Front Door:
- { "kind": "ding", "motion": false, "id": "RING-xxxxx" }

I'm only been using the motion payloads. (In fact, I didn't even notice the "ding" payload until just now.) :smiley:

So I'm still mystified why the doorbell won't cooperate. :slight_smile:

Is there anything in the hubitat logs when it executed? It should work. I have my doorbell setup for both ding and motion

Here's my actual applet setup:

Access token is null. That’s the problem. Did you enable oauth for the app?

If the other ones have that they’re not going to work either.

Yes...below. Do I need to update OAUTH and start over? ANy reason why OAUTH would go null?

I’d have to dig through the code to see how it’s null and I’m in bed for the night. If you need a quick fix I’d recommend reinstalling the app. Otherwise I can try to look more closely tomorrow evening. But that access token has to have a value. That is how IFTTT authenticates to hubitat.

Oh man, I don't want to disturb you! No worries, I'll uninstall and re-install and try again. Thanks for your help, and good night. :slight_smile:

If that doesn’t work post here and I’ll dig in tomorrow. Unfortunately the person who wrote this app stopped using hubitat so no one here is an expert in the code!

1 Like

Before re-installing everything, have you tried looking at the applets that are working and check in the URL you pasted in there has the access_token? It should if they are working properly. An dit should be the exact same URL for all of your applets as the only things that really change are the "kind", "motion"=true/false and the "Id"

The other next step could be to 'refresh' the oauth token here:

Just pay attention to that warning, you'll need to re-setup all your IFTTT applets to the new URL+token.

I do try those two things first before I do a full reinstall if the rest is working for you.

1 Like

Thanks! I had already uninstalled before I saw your post. So I uninstalled and reinstallled. Made sure that OAuth was enabled and then started the app.

Logged into Ring, re-discovered my devices, and then went to the IFTTT setup page in the app and the URL still shows up w/the "null" ending and tells me if the link isn't right to enable OAuth.

However, what is really bizarre is that I went back to look at all of my IFTTT applets that I had created before I uninstalled, and all of the applets except the door bell applet had valid normal looking tokens. So I don't get that at all...how all of them but the dining room would have the same token. No idea how I could have done that.

I tried to refresh the client secret in OAuth in the app code section, but that didn't help. Where is the "toggle" for the OAuth option you are showing above?

The toggle is behind the IFTTT page
Step 1:
Screenshot ..........

Step 2:
Screenshot ..........

If you aren't seeing it, I wonder if you somehow disabled OAUTH on the app itself, or didn't allow it again post install.

Go to App Code -> Locate the main Unofficial Ring Connect groovy app, open it and click the OAuth button to grant the app OAuth access.

Screenshot ..........

Hope this helps. Headed to bed as well.

Ack, so most likely just using the URL for the Doorbell ring would have worked for you.
So now that you re-installed you'll need to get back into that state.

I'd suggest making sure the app code has Oauth access, I'd go into the app and make sure you are signed into Ring.

I'd then reboot the HE device, check and if it's still not there, sign back into Ring again.

I recall I hit the "null" issue as well, and it was something weird about timing and when the app authenticated.

So the original thread talks about this.

Someone hit it here:

And a few replies below they talk about where they manually pulled the token from:

I just checked on mine and in the app gear I can see my token there. It's the second shorter one:

1 Like

And it's working!!

@SoundersDude, I saw your replies earlier briefly but my wife had pulled me into some "urgent" late evening "Move this furniture over here, and move that over there" activities for a while. As soon as I was free I I went back into the IFTTT section to check for the OAuth reset, and loe and behold, my access token looked normal! So maybe the OAuth reset I did the Apps code section for the app earlier tonight took some time to filter to the Ring Connect app? Whatever the reason at some point the app found the right info and had a good token.

So I updated all the IFTTT applets, reconnected the Ring devices into my Motion Lighting app in HE, and it worked. :smiley:

Thanks very much for all the help, really appreciate the info and advice and support you and @dman2306 provided.

1 Like

What you have is awesome!! I appreciate it!

One thing I noticed: I don't seem to see any "status" for my First Alert CO/Smoke detectors hooked up to my Ring system. Do you know if these are able to "trigger" events and, if so, what value(s) are set?

Thanks!