Raspberry PI Image for Homebridge + Node-Red

You can have multiple instances of Maker API - one for Node-RED and one for Homebridge.

3 Likes

You can have multiple copies of MakerAPI.

Just Install a 2nd instance on MakerAPI and give it a 'better' name...

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 12.51.02 PM

3 Likes

Thank you guys. That should have been obvious to me, my bad!
I think I'm so used to Parent/Child apps this didn't even run past my brain.
Thanks again!

1 Like

Just installed Homebridge on my RPi with Node-RED and wow - was able to get both Ring and Nest plugins working. HB is very cool and I don't even own any Apple products... will be playing around with the HB nodes and combining with HE stuff for extra fun sequence goodness. :grin:

2 Likes

@erktrek are you able to do Node -Red automations using both the ring and nest? It looks like it isn't very hard to set up on a RPI. Would you agree?

The way I added the integrations was by installing HomeBridge if that's what you mean. It was very easy to do on my RPi4. In addition installed the Homebridge Nodes on Node-RED which is also running on the same RPi4.

I have not had the time to play around with things yet beyond a simple debug node but it looks promising.. I can see some nice uses like activating my floodlight sirens or detecting when the Nest thinks we're away.

Here's a shot of my HB config node. You can see both Ring and Nest (Protects) devices available. The thermostats are further down that list.

1 Like

I have home bridge on a Rpi and node red on the same Rpi. I have the node-red-contrib-homebridge-automation nodes installed. I've got the Ring and Nest plug-in installed. The home bridge shows motion on the ring accessory. When I create a flow in node-red with an event node the motion isn't reflected. When I use the Status node and inject a request for status it will show motion. Am I missing some set-up thing with the event node? I want to use the Ring doorbell as a motion sensor for outside lights. Is my only option to just send a status request every ten seconds for the automation?

Thanks,

Why aren't you using the command node to send the status to a virtual device on HE?

That's interesting.. I have a similar setup except I am trapping the doorbell press to feed to my old Aoetec Siren 6. It seems to work okay for that event.

I'm using the HB-Event node..

Im only trying to see the motion reflected in a debug node, it doesn't show anything. When I look at the home bridge console it indicates motion.

I will use the command node if I can't get the event node to work, it seems like the event node is the way to start the automation, versus a inject node and a command node starting things.

So I just added the doorbell motion as a test.. here's what I got..

It seems to work for me..

Ok, I've done something wrong... go figure. any suggestions how I can troubleshoot this? I'm guessing its on the home bridge side. Since the command node works does that mean the integration is set up right?

Mmm.... not sure as you've probably done everything I have.. maybe reauthenticate with the Ring and maybe check your firewall. I followed the directions on the node-red-contrib-homebridge-automation page..

Edit: I added another test with my Ring Floodlight and it works too.. now I will say an event triggers but it's rather cryptic as to what is going on from the debug node.

1 Like

Have you tried the hb status node rather than event node? You should be able to use an inject node to force a debug output.

EDIT: FWIW I just deployed my Nest protect in NR using the hb event node and it works fine. Can you show how you have your garage node configured,

2 Likes

I deleted the node-red-contrib-homebridge -automation palette, shut down the node-red-service, started the service and added the nodes again. It is now working. Thanks for your ideas!

1 Like

I've done what I can think of, including waiting a week before going to the mountain for help...

I have the home bridge nodes sending messages to NR. It is a Ring Doorbell that I want to turn on some lights when it detects motion. The NR console shows the motion as True or False. I was trying to change the message to active and inactive so it will fit with my other motion sensors. I can't get the change node to change the message node can I get a switch node to turn on a light with the true false message.

can someone help me out of my misery...? Thank you!

I don't use Homebridge but it looks like your Switch Node should be msg.payload.MotionDetected = true or false instead of msg.payload based on your Debug Node output.

4 Likes

Yep - beat me to it!

1 Like

I changed the switch to:

and this:
and the message isn't going through the switch. This is how the debug node is set up:
do I neer to do something to the message before it gets to the switch?