Rapidly adding Z-wave devices

I am starting to build my new HE hub. From my quick reading about Z-wave meshes, I am still a bit confused. I know that I should add devices from the hub, outwards, so that the new device can communicate with the hub. But if I quickly add new devices going further away from the hub, is each new device able to communicate to the hub through the other recently added devices, if a Z-wave repair hasn't yet been performed? Or asked another way, should I perform a Z-wave repair before trying to add other new devices?

Note: all of my devices are Z-wave, not Z-wave Plus.

That mainly depends on how many of these devices are pre-plus devices.. Z-Wave Plus pure network actually never needs a repair.

1 Like

Thank you. I updated my original post to note that none of my devices are Plus.

Ha.. Wrote that before reading your last line.. You will probably want to utilize repair periodically during the process..

3 Likes

Depending on the devices, you may struggle to join them at all in place. Some don't allow network wide including, in which case you may need to pair at the hub then move them to there locations and repair.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. I could challenge this. With my C7 some of my paths change on their own and stop working. I need to node repair to bring them back. Then I updated a bunch of Zooz FW and everything went, well, crazy. I think I am now in week three after the Zooz incident and I am now stable again and things have stopped changing.

I’ve been wondering how mixing legacy zwave with zwave plus will affect the network.

I’ve got 11 inovelli dimmers and 2 zooz dimmers to install and am wondering if I should connect older outlets and motion sensors.

Early on I had two non plus devices. I quickly learned they were not worth the trouble. Just my two cents.

Is that true that some (older) devices need to be next to the hub to program???? I seem to remember that when I installed all of my Z-wave devices, way back 7 years ago, I did so by sitting next to my hub and Including them, and then moving them to their final location. If I have to remove them to move them next to my hub I guess I'll just replace them with new Z-wave Plus devices. Ugghh.

Learned something new everyday, I have about 45 zwave devices in my network. They are all zwave plus and all mains powered. I run a repair a few days after I add/replace zwave devices. I just assumed it should be something I should do. Care to elaborate @bcopeland

I have also never had an issue with any of my devices, they just work (Honeywell Zwave thermostat on ported ST driver and a zwave lock were the exception). From reading these forums I wonder if I should consider myself lucky.

I migrated from ST about a month ago. I had trouble with the devices at the end of the house furthest from the hub. I started closed to the hub with one device at a time, excluding the device and then discovering it in HE. No problem until I got to my bathroom light switches, which are the furthest away. GE Z-wave plus switches. Wouldn't exclude in ST or HE. Makes sense because all of the devices closer to the hubs (both hubs because ST was still connected at the time) had already been excluded from ST, so ST would have to connect directly to these devices, and HE would also have to connect directly to these devices since they were new to HE. My solution was to run a long network cable into the bedroom and plug in the Hubitat hub there. No problem excluding and including the switches once I did that.

In short, you very well may have to move the hub around your house to include new devices.

1 Like

Yes if they are z-wave (not plus) and don't support NWI. On my z-wave ONLY hub i struggled to join the few that were out of reach from the hub. I had to move the hub then joined them and do a few repairs.

1 Like

Sure.. with all plus devices.. They will utilize explorer frames if they run into trouble and find a new path home.

Now a repair on a full plus network doesn’t hurt.. It’s just not a necessity like it was for older devices.

2 Likes