Discussion about the C7

Can't say I have had any more luck with that unfortunately, but thanks for the tip. I think @bcopeland mentioned that repairs are not needed on z-wave plus devices and all my devices are plus.

I doubt very much he said that - I've only got Z+ devices (~40) and have still had to do individual device repairs occasionally. When issues occur, It's mainly to my Battery devices.

every few days i repair a few devices that are still working but pick up some totaly nonsense route.. i am not sure if it is the device or the hub.. like in the same room with the hub but jumping around the house and dropping to 9.6K my guess is at times something is causing signal interference like a microwave or somthing but not sure how to figure it out.

Microwaves operate on 2.4 Ghz, not ~920 Mhz so that is unlikely. Amateur Radio is a possibility tho.

I get a few devices running at 9.6 Kbps, but they still work perfectly so I ignore them.

1 Like

He did, and it is true. On homogeneous zwave plus networks, repairs are simply not "needed". They shouldn't hurt anything either though, and can kind of help map out the fallback routes instead of relying on explorer frames.

5 Likes

Yep he did.

3 Likes

I stand corrected.

2 Likes

could be the weather station i think that is in the 900 range.. as is our older corless phone..

phone is is same room but 900 works so much better than newer higher freq ones.
i will experiment moving base to another room.

What are these "phones" you speak of? :wink:

Our ISP provides a free VoIP line but since ditching our old alarm for Hubitat HSM I've decommissioned the ISP Router and replaced it with my own. We don't even have the option for a PSTN anymore as the Phone Line has been terminated at the Micro-Node in the pit out the front of our House (FTTC).

Wasnt a great loss tho, we've been using our Mobile phones exclusively for years now. Ditching your PSTN landline and cordless phones might be an option for you too?

:point_up_2: Exactly.. All plus devices will automatically find their way back home. But it doesn’t hurt to give them a kick in the butt once in a while :wink:

2 Likes

Right.. Also potential 900Mhz sources in no particular order:

• Baby monitors
  • Cordless phones
  • Proprietary wireless alarms (although most seem to use 433Mhz some have started using 900)

Analog devices that put up a solid carrier wave will be the most destructive.

1 Like

Huh - I wonder if those proprietary alarm systems at 433Mhz could interfere with Lutron's Clear Connect.

It’s possible

Here's a good high level discussion on Clear Connect. The band regulated and is not a free for all like 2.4 GHz. See page 5 for an overview of the FCC regulation.
https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/Clear_Connect_Technology_whitepaper.pdf

2 Likes

No, it's all licensed spectrum in that band, with separate frequencies. And all required to be low power and low channel occupancy (i.e., short bursts).

3 Likes

The C5 and C7 have the antennas under the HE logo. I have my C5 on its side edge, and I think the radiation pattern is like a big donut, with the hub in the center hole of the donut.
Someone who knows RF please correct me, I'm dying to know...
This is a similar antenna to what I saw inside

Donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Likes

Dipole antennas have a donut-shaped radiation pattern. What you've pictured is called a stripline antenna--these devices can be engineered to have highly directional cones, multiple lobes, or quasi-uniform distributions. I haven't looked at microwave engineering in many years (the name is a misnomer--also applies to RF problems), so I can't intuit how the antenna you've pictured will behave. I do think a reasonable assumption would be that someone did their homework and used an antenna with a quasi-spherical radiation pattern.

1 Like

I'm sure the HE staff are well away of the pattern, but in the many threads about positioning of the hub and antennas, I've not seen a staff reply, at all

1 Like

Possibly it's something like the Taoglas ultra-wideband antenna, which is specified for use between 700 MHz - 6 GHz. Gain for this antenna is about the same for both 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz, so multiplexing the outputs from the Z-wave radio and Zigbee radio to use the same antenna would certainly be possible without a lot of extra filters and/or amplifiers on the two channels. The measured radiation pattern can be seen in the data sheet, pages 10-17. At a bit more than $5 USD each, this seems like a possible candidate...