Rant about Electricians

Having just moved I got to move my old world to a new place -
When will house wiring catch up to the 2020's? It's like wiring in homes hasn't changed in 60 years.

Wall switches are in serial to bulbs. I can't see circuit breaker states. No load info on circuits.

If every switch and box were run back to a central point. I could assign 'this switch controls that bulb(s). Then I could use a smart bulb AND a smart switch. No identifications of circuit legs. overloaded use of a circuit, and under use of another. 15a vs 20a. its all so hodge podge where are the engineers anyway. Unions. hmph.

If I build a new house, I'm going to wiring it correctly. It's BS as it is for smart homes.

And that would cost a lot more to install. Believe it or not, only a small subset of homeowners are actually interested in automation :slightly_smiling_face:

PS Not to mention the massive amount of additional wiring would make troubleshooting a faulty circuit a total nightmare for the poor electrician!

7 Likes

Should have thought about all the issues that concern you before you bought your new place.

It befuddles me why someone would be surprised that a house built a decade or two ago doesn't meet their expectations in 2023.

6 Likes

I'm just thankful my house was built under a code that requires a neutral in every switch box.

4 Likes

Imagine 5v dc in every outlet. no more bricks!

2 Likes

And (3, 5, 10, whatever) years from now when nothing uses 5vdc anymore (we're already well on our way there now), now I'm stuck with a house full of uselessly-accessorized outlets?

No thanks.

4 Likes

bah. the 12 and 5v rails have been around since 1980. You guys are no fun.

1 Like

And don't get me started on requirement to use electrician to install ethernet (low voltage). grr.

What does any of this have to do with electricians?

9 Likes

Get a regular tech company to pull cat 6. Shouldn't need an electrician.

You can just install Outlets with USB options....

2 Likes

I feel like the electrical trade is one of the most bureaucratic around. There are obvious safety aspects to be considered, but so much of the regulatory structure seems to be driven by two things: corporations that want to sell widgets and the installers trying to protect their "exclusive" ability to practice the trade. To me, it seems like safety has become a convenient argument to achieve those two objectives. Need an example?

Not necessarily. In the state I live in, doing this in a workplace technically requires a permit and an inspection, with a master electrician required to pull the permit. Silliness in my opinion.

1 Like

Most states allow homeowners to change out outlets and what not. In my state (Pa) I wired my own home from the weatherhead in and just needed it to be signed off on by a certified inspector. Generally though you don't need an electrician or a permit just to change outlets, at least in the residential area.

2 Likes

Same here... just much less flexibility in non-residential work.

1 Like

What kind of regulatory structure do you think should change?

Maybe a few things... all based on the rules in my jurisdiction and my personal views. Shorten the experience requirement for journeyman and master electricians. Keep the testing & code knowledge the same. Expand the scope of what a licensed "maintenance" electrician is permitted to do. Limit manufacturers role in establishing code requirements where they have a financial interest.

Just my personal views... fully expect that others will have different opinions.

1 Like

So basically you are saying each jurisdiction should have its own rule and regulation.

Isn't this already the case? At least in the 50 states? Do any of them adopt NFPA 70 without exception or amendment? And doesn't each govern their own licensing?

Update: apparently there are several states who don't even have state level licensing...

That is your answer..... except not if but do build a new house. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Electricity can kill. There's nothing silly about that. Improper wiring can also cause fires, and there's nothing silly about that either.

In a house I bought several years ago, there were all sorts of dangerous things that weren't discovered by the inspector prior to purchase. For example, the dishwasher was hard wired into a socket with lamp cord, and not even grounded. A fault in the dishwasher could have electrocuted me or my wife because some jacka$$ thought he knew what he was doing. Ungrounded sockets wired in reverse, wiring splices inside a wall, and more...

If you choose to do electrical work in your own home, you're risking the safety not only of yourself but your family or other occupants, current and future. If you really know what you're doing, that may be an acceptable risk.

Unlicensed and uninspected work in a commercial setting potentially puts a much greater number people at risk. Also, there are different requirements for non-residential installations. Laypersons aren't going to have knowledge of that sort of thing.

I'm certainly no fan of bureaucracy or trivial interference in what one can do to their own property, but when it comes to electrical, that's a different story.

5 Likes

That depends on where you live. Some locals may require a separate low voltage license.

1 Like