Randomly unable to connect to Hubitat C-8

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help solve an issue I have been having ever since receiving my Hubitat C-8.

I bought a C-8 October 15th, and ever since I set it up, It has randomly, but often just stopped being connectable. Generally it doesn't even stay up for 24 hours. The green light stays on, and otherwise seems like it's still up, but it cannot be connected to in any way.

I and my brother have tried different things to attempt to fix the issue, Such as trying it both wired and wireless, Resetting it, and trying different ideas found on these forums, and unfortunately nothing so far has seemed to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome! First a few questions. Do you have any Jumbo Frames on your network? When you are using wired, do you have the wireless turned off? The hub doesn't like both enabled. When on wired, do you have the speed on the hub set to 100 or auto? Do you have a reservation for your hub in your routers DHCP? If you do (and you should), then press the only square hole on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds. This will reset the networking (and only that, it doesn't reset anything else.)

1 Like

Also, how are you connecting? App on phone, or wired pc? Local or remote? VPN?

1 Like

Does it reply at hubipaddress:8081?

1 Like

As far as me and my brother are aware (We are the only ones who handle the network in our household), We do not have Jumbo frames.

Originally wireless was off, and so I tried with both on, then only wireless.

It is set to 100 as my brother found information that said that may help. It was one of the first things we tried.

The Hubs IP is manually assigned in the router. If you mean something else, then please clarify. We have a ASUS RT-AX86U using Asuswrt-Merlin. It is manually assigned in LAN - DHCP Server.

I will try pressing it and report back, Though as mentioned its hard to predict when it will stop working. It has lasted a few days before, but generally happens within a day.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully this can be figured out.

Edit:
We have tried Phone and Desktop. Locally without a VPN. Both with the App and browser. The 8081 port hadn't worked either when it's down.

Definitely try the :8081 both when it is working, and when it isn't. When you reset the hub, I assume you are pulling the plug. If so, your database might be corrupted. To fix this, it depends on your hub's firmware version. What version is it running?

It's currently on 2.3.7.139, With 2.3.7.140 available.

You should be able to do a reboot and there is an option to rebuild the database. Select that and reboot.

I believe I have tried that before, but I will try it again to be sure.

Next step might be to start a ticket with support. Warranty – Hubitat Support

1 Like

This post has a lot of tips and also questions that provide all the info people would need up front without the back and fourth with a bunch of questions

3 Likes