Random Questions - Hub UI & No Internet, Power Protection in Aus

I'll admit I am posting this topic without having done adequate research myself....

My modem recently became energised by a spike of electricity while I was at work. Some devices have all the fun.... :slightly_smiling_face:. In the end I noticed that when my he hubs were not on the Internet I could not access the web UI or dashboards. I was sure I had seen some notes somewhere about how best to handle the situation where a hub loses access to the Interne, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.... BTW, I am about to setup my new smart modem, combining a landline / fibre-based connection and a 4G backup option.

In terms of prevention.... Any suggestions from my fellow Aus Community members about how best to protect against spikes in the power?

Thanks,
Simon

Are your hubs and network equipment plugged into a UPS? If not I highly suggest doing so. I have a 1500W UPS supplying power to all my network equipment including the HEs.

The other day at my house in the US we had some odd power fluctuations and fortunately my UPSs helped keep the equipment online.

2 Likes

I had also been considering ups'. Will be investigating those as well. Thanks.

I agree with @ritchierich - a UPS is a must! As an added suggestion, consider installing a whole-house surge protector. They do protect electronic equipment from minor surges generated within the house, or from the utility.

1 Like

I’m going to guess you’re using a mesh router system? Almost all of them don’t distribute IP addresses to their clients unless they themselves can connect to the internet.

1 Like

No, at the time my modem died, I was using a netgear nighthawk router and a netgear dm200 modem.

Sounds like a glitch with the router make and model that may have occurred after the power surge. Get a GOOD UPS on that stuff! Added the aus tag to your post so maybe you'll get a suggestion from your fellow Australians as to what the good brands are there.

1 Like

Siemens FS140 Whole House Surge Protection

This is what I got, after research.

2 Likes

I think that's the same unit that @marktheknife was looking at. The specs look really good.

The problem is, you never really know if they work. Any testing is destructive. If things never break, you don’t know whether it’s because there were no surges, or if there were and the device protected the circuit. It’s really a case, in my opinion, where you have to purchase a reputable, established brand that has experience in doing thorough engineering.

1 Like