Random phantom turn on with hue bulbs

I've been noticing some random turn on of a group of hue bulbs I have in a restroom. I don't see the ON event in the group log but the hue app sees the lights as being on. Any way to trace this outside of HE where the turn on event is coming from?

I'm tempted to install one of my light sensors in there as a bandaid so the light doesn't stay on indefinitely until there's an event that HE can see so the light will turn off eventually.

When this happened to me, after wasting hours tracking through all my rules it turned out to be one failing bulb, apparently sending rogue signals to the others. It was ok until that point. Once I had worked out exactly which bulb it was and replaced it there were no further problems. At any rate if you have a spare one you could try replacing each in turn and see if it is that.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to give this a try but it might take a while to figure out which one is the culprit lol. There are 4 bulbs in the group but I do have a spare one in a box.

I am sure you've seen this already, but if you have Hue linked to Alexa directly, check to make sure the Hunches are not enabled, people have seen phantom events caused by Alexa Hunches.

1 Like

That would be creepy if Alexa's been monitoring bathroom activity! :thinking: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perhaps Alexa monitors bathroom activity so she can reorder toilet paper????

3 Likes

"I have a hunch you need to go to the toilet now"

3 Likes

I recently had to re-pair a Sylvania 4 button switch, and it somehow magically did a direct link, all by itself, to my Ledvance under counter zigbee light. Now every time I do a button 2 held event to turn off all basement lights, it turns on the kitchen undercounter light. I'm so sick of troubleshooting so I just left it that way

If you're consistent in when you go, alexa picks up on that and will start turning on lights at that time.

I believe I'm consistent (tmi) but the light turning on pattern is not lol. I did ask Alexa to turn off hunches though so I'll observe that for a week and see what happens before I mess with replacing one of the bulbs one at a time.

2 Likes